CD-Writer not recognized

April 22, 2004 3:18:37 PM

While I was recording a CD, it was suddenly ejected by my
Presario 2800 naotebook (running on win xp home). The
icon in the task bar showed "Direct CD, No Supported
Drive". Although I re-installed Roxio (and later Nero),
the same message appeared. whereas I can reda from CD-
ROMs, I cannot write to the CD-ROM. I use only original
software

Help highly appreciated since the local Compaq Tech
Centre is unable to find a solution

More about : writer recognized

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 5:57:48 PM

Sorry, but I don't have the answer. I just wanted to
comment that this is why I wish they would put an error
number on messages. Then you might have a chance of
tracking where the message was issued and get clued in
about what the programmer was trying to tell you.

April 22, 2004 11:01:25 PM

Did they replace the drive? It sounds like it went belly up, at least the
write part of it...

"vijay" <vjpherwani@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> While I was recording a CD, it was suddenly ejected by my
> Presario 2800 naotebook (running on win xp home). The
> icon in the task bar showed "Direct CD, No Supported
> Drive". Although I re-installed Roxio (and later Nero),
> the same message appeared. whereas I can reda from CD-
> ROMs, I cannot write to the CD-ROM. I use only original
> software
>
> Help highly appreciated since the local Compaq Tech
> Centre is unable to find a solution
May 5, 2004 10:36:02 AM

Hi,
I recently had a problem I could not solve on my own.
My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
I listed my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, got one reply and it didn't solve
my problem. In desperation I poked around the Control Panel until I stumbled onto
Help and Support Centre. I asked for support and in less then 24 hours
they e-mailed a procedure which solved my problem.
To get the support left click on:
START>CONTROL PANEL>HELP AND SUPPORT>GET SUPPORT>GET HELP
Just in case you want to use this procedure, I'm including here an amalgam of procedures from
Help Centre and one I found posted by ANONIMOUS on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup.
I made it a bit more user friendly but lengthy. Hope you don't mind.
Best of luck, Adam

What to do if CD Writer is not recognized by Windows XP home edition?

I suggest that you print the following procedure and work from paper copy.

When you loaded XP, was cd burning software like Easy CD Creator
loaded on the computer?
Did the BIOS see the CD writer?
(BIOS is in white writing on black background right after computer starts up
and before Windows XP loads up)
Is it absent from the Device Manager?
To check left click on: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>
Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES
You are unable to load a new driver?
Yes to all of the above means the culprits are the Upper and/or Lower Filters.

First, uninstall any cd burning software from the system.
Then reboot by left clicking on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART

Left click START>RUN, Type: regedit , left click OK, to open the Registry Editor.
To expand each line, left click on + (plus sign) to the left of:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CURRENTCONTROLSET>CONTROL>CLASS.
Find and highlight (left click) on the line: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

To save this file to the Desktop, in case this procedure does not work:
Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, then left click on EXPORT.
Left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in Export Registry File
to highlight it, this will place this line in File Name box, left click on Save.
Close Export Registry File.

With the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}key still
blue on the left hand panel of Registry Editor,
look on the right hand panel under Name for an entry for Upper Filters. Delete Upper Filters.
To delete, right click on Upper Filters, left click on Delete.
If there is an entry for Lower Filters, delete them as well.
Right click on Lower Filters, left click on Delete.
Close the Registry Editor.

To restart the machine left click on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART.
To see if your cd writer is in Device Manager left click:
Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>>Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
Right click on your CD Writer and left click on Uninstall.
This will remove your CD Writer from the computer.
Now right click on your computer's name at the top of the tree
on right hand panel of Computer Management
window, to the right of an icon of a computer, left click on: Scan For Hardware Changes.
This reinstalls your cd writer on your computer.

Reinstall cd burning software and check that your cd writer does work.
!