3.5 Floppy

I can't read floppy disk infor saved prior to XP update.
Anyone know how to access old data on 3.5 floppys
13 answers Last reply
More about floppy

    "Pungo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I can't read floppy disk infor saved prior to XP update.
    > Anyone know how to access old data on 3.5 floppys

    XP will happily read old floppy disks. If you cannot
    read them then either your floppy disks or your
    disk drive may be marginal.

    Thanks for the reply Pegasus,
    I willg et the disk thiseve when I get home and can work on it. In the mean time may want to search these forums if you have not already. As mentioned alot of people are having this problem. With both brand new builds and with upgraded machines..

    Btw my mitsumi drive works perfectly when I use the same cables from the xp machine tho toss it in a machine that is currently using windows 98 so the drive works.

    "Bailey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply Pegasus,
    > I willg et the disk thiseve when I get home and can work on it. In the
    mean time may want to search these forums if you have not already. As
    mentioned alot of people are having this problem. With both brand new builds
    and with upgraded machines..

    > Btw my mitsumi drive works perfectly when I use the same cables from the
    xp machine tho toss it in a machine that is currently using windows 98 so
    the drive works.

    =========================

    To get a floppy disk drive to work, each of the following elements must
    work:
    - The drive itself
    - The ribbon cable
    - The controller on the motherboard
    - The operating system

    If you move the problem drive to another machine, using the same cable, then
    you're changing two parameters: The operating system, and the controller.
    How do you know which one is faulty?

    If you boot the machine with a Win98 disk then you're changing one parameter
    only, and you immediately know where the problem lies.

    I also have had problems as of late with my floppy drive. I've removed it from my device manager (controller and Drive) tried changing the drivers to three mode and replacing the drive itself and cables.
    I put in a win ME start-up disk and did get the following errors reported.
    "The following file is missing or corrupted, Command.com"

    "jgjbj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I also have had problems as of late with my floppy drive. I've removed it
    from my device manager (controller and Drive) tried changing the drivers to
    three mode and replacing the drive itself and cables.
    > I put in a win ME start-up disk and did get the following errors reported.
    > "The following file is missing or corrupted, Command.com"

    So why don't you get a Win98 boot disk from the site I quoted in my previous
    reply?

    got the win 98 boot disk, selected option #1 w/cdrom support. Message "Not a valid FAT or Fat32 format". I am using NTFS on win xp pro 160 gig. Of course I don't want to reformt.
    It seems that now I am able to open more floppies that before, but there are a few that are a few that I can't on the xp machine but can on the ME machine. I can't even get the properties of the files.
    For example, On one disk are two files a bmp. and a word pad file. When I try to access this disk the XP machine says to reformat the disk, on the ME machine both open up fine. Another disk created on the XP machine created March 5 (a quicken back-up file) will show when when I explore the disk but the drive will run continously when I try to display the properties of the file. Not so on the ME machine the file and properties will display promptly.
    Your thoughts?

    > got the win 98 boot disk, selected option #1 w/cdrom support. Message "Not
    a valid FAT or Fat32 format". I am using NTFS on win xp pro 160 gig. Of
    course I don't want to reformt.
    > It seems that now I am able to open more floppies that before, but there
    are a few that are a few that I can't on the xp machine but can on the ME
    machine. I can't even get the properties of the files.
    > For example, On one disk are two files a bmp. and a word pad file. When I
    try to access this disk the XP machine says to reformat the disk, on the ME
    machine both open up fine. Another disk created on the XP machine created
    March 5 (a quicken back-up file) will show when when I explore the disk but
    the drive will run continously when I try to display the properties of the
    file. Not so on the ME machine the file and properties will display
    promptly.
    > Your thoughts?

    ========================

    Download & create the Win98 boot disk on a friend's PC, then boot your
    machine with it. You will probably find that your floppy disk drive is
    marginal. Replace it - they are cheap!

    Downloaded and made the disk on another machine.
    Booted with it on my XP machine, the FDD is one day out of the wrapper.
    Can see all files using edit at the A:\ prompt except for .bmp. Not necessarily see them but jnow they are there. All text file are readable. I had not tried this on my previous reply, sorry.
    Still get the same results after booting into XP.

    Now for another potato in the stew....I've noticed that Outlook 2000 tries to access my 'a' drive when launched. Could I be looking in the wrong place.
    Thanks for your help
    jgjbj

    > Downloaded and made the disk on another machine.
    > Booted with it on my XP machine, the FDD is one day out of the wrapper.
    > Can see all files using edit at the A:\ prompt except for .bmp. Not
    necessarily see them but jnow they are there. All text file are readable. I
    had not tried this on my previous reply, sorry.
    > Still get the same results after booting into XP.
    >
    > Now for another potato in the stew....I've noticed that Outlook 2000 tries
    to access my 'a' drive when launched. Could I be looking in the wrong place.
    > Thanks for your help
    > jgjbj

    Sorry to be persistent, but to confirm that your floppy disk drive, its
    cable and the controller really work, you would need to run either of these
    commands after booting into Win98:

    - scandisk a:, then ask for a surface check (I assume that scandisk.exe is
    on the disk); or
    - diskcopy a: a: (you will need a second floppy disk)

    About your Outlook 2000 question: you'd better start a new thread, this time
    in an Outlook newsgroup.

    Hello Jim,
    Like you I built the one I was lucky enough to trade in for a mac from scratch. All new components. I did not opt for a floppy drive at the time I went to build it, didnt want a floppy. Tho I later found out that xp is not smart enough to realize that a cd burner can be used to create disks, like the net working wizard trying to make a net work disk. So I had to install a floppy. Unfortuantly for me I did do something extremly stupid, I bought an xp "up"grade kit. Figured I would keep all the machines on the same os for networking compatability. I wish I could get a refund for the "up"grade version of xp.

    Like I said the one thing that changed on the system was going to xp. It worked before on the "up"graded pc, and that I used to hate macs. Tho you know what the mac is working as it should be, just installed the game I currently play -shadowbane- and it is running perfectly just like it was on a pc. Apple is kicking arse right now, just wish microsoft could get to a place close to apple, like maybe working software for starters.

    You can do a clean install with the XP upgrade CD.

    My system is an Intel D845GBVL mobo, 1.7 GHz Celeron (a P4
    is one of my planned upgrades as soon as I can afford it), a
    generic CD-RW and a Mitsumi black floppy. 2-256 PNY PC2100
    and a CompUSA Firewire card and V.92 modem.

    I think a very modern designed mobo is the most critical
    item, everything else I bought to be as cheap as possible.

    | Hello Jim,
    | Like you I built the one I was lucky enough to trade in
    for a mac from scratch. All new components. I did not opt
    for a floppy drive at the time I went to build it, didnt
    want a floppy. Tho I later found out that xp is not smart
    enough to realize that a cd burner can be used to create
    disks, like the net working wizard trying to make a net work
    disk. So I had to install a floppy. Unfortuantly for me I
    did do something extremly stupid, I bought an xp "up"grade
    kit. Figured I would keep all the machines on the same os
    for networking compatability. I wish I could get a refund
    for the "up"grade version of xp.

    | Like I said the one thing that changed on the system was
    going to xp. It worked before on the "up"graded pc, and that
    I used to hate macs. Tho you know what the mac is working as
    it should be, just installed the game I currently
    play -shadowbane- and it is running perfectly just like it
    was on a pc. Apple is kicking arse right now, just wish
    microsoft could get to a place close to apple, like maybe
    working software for starters.

    Hello Jim,
    I agree the motherboard is critical. Thats why when I was putting together my new computer I had gone with the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe wich is a decent mother board. I also had the mitsumi drive -silver tho-. On the upgrade ill try and figure out what is needed to do a clean install. Thank you for the replys and the help, it is appriciated.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    There are lots of message threads about how to use the
    upgrade CD to do a clean install. If you have any previous
    Windows CD, it can be used as "proof" for then upgrade CD to
    work.
    See http://www.aumha.org/index.php

    | Hello Jim,
    | I agree the motherboard is critical. Thats why when I
    was putting together my new computer I had gone with the
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe wich is a decent mother board. I also had
    the mitsumi drive -silver tho-. On the upgrade ill try and
    figure out what is needed to do a clean install. Thank you
    for the replys and the help, it is appriciated.

Hardware Floppy Disk Microsoft Windows XP