motherboard swap-out

When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
have to re-install XP all over again?

Old one went out got another one, same brand different
model.

Please help!
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard swap

    Daryl, how different a model? I had success swapping an Epox 8K3A+ for
    a Epox 8K7A+. The latter
    was partially via chipset and amd chipset the former was all Via chipset.
    You can give it a try on just
    barebones. Monitor, Mem, Graphic Card and Hard Drive. Leave everything
    else disconnected until you
    have all your device drivers in place for the new Motherboard.
    "Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
    > have to re-install XP all over again?
    >
    > Old one went out got another one, same brand different
    > model.
    >
    > Please help!

    Reinstall is usually required.

    "Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:305801c428b8$d712bf00$a101280a@phx.gbl...
    | When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
    | have to re-install XP all over again?
    |
    | Old one went out got another one, same brand different
    | model.
    |
    | Please help!

    Greetings --

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
    transferable to a new motherboard), unless your motherboard is
    virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
    version, etc.) to the one on which the other WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
    > have to re-install XP all over again?
    >
    > Old one went out got another one, same brand different
    > model.
    >
    > Please help!

    "Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
    >have to re-install XP all over again?
    >
    >Old one went out got another one, same brand different
    >model.

    Generally if the make and model is the same then there should be zero
    problems. However in some instances (e.g. an updated BIOS version on
    the new board) it may have some problems and a Repair Install may be
    necessary.

    See http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html for detailed
    information and instructions.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    "Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
    > have to re-install XP all over again?

    I had to do a repair installation. You will have to redo all your WinXP
    updates however.

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse

Hardware Microsoft Motherboards Windows XP