motherboard swap-out

a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2004 7:26:22 PM

When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
have to re-install XP all over again?

Old one went out got another one, same brand different
model.

Please help!

More about : motherboard swap

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2004 7:41:28 PM

Daryl, how different a model? I had success swapping an Epox 8K3A+ for
a Epox 8K7A+. The latter
was partially via chipset and amd chipset the former was all Via chipset.
You can give it a try on just
barebones. Monitor, Mem, Graphic Card and Hard Drive. Leave everything
else disconnected until you
have all your device drivers in place for the new Motherboard.
"Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
> have to re-install XP all over again?
>
> Old one went out got another one, same brand different
> model.
>
> Please help!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2004 9:41:04 PM

Reinstall is usually required.

"Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:305801c428b8$d712bf00$a101280a@phx.gbl...
| When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
| have to re-install XP all over again?
|
| Old one went out got another one, same brand different
| model.
|
| Please help!

a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2004 11:19:09 PM

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
transferable to a new motherboard), unless your motherboard is
virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
version, etc.) to the one on which the other WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
> have to re-install XP all over again?
>
> Old one went out got another one, same brand different
> model.
>
> Please help!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2004 4:07:02 AM

"Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
>have to re-install XP all over again?
>
>Old one went out got another one, same brand different
>model.

Generally if the make and model is the same then there should be zero
problems. However in some instances (e.g. an updated BIOS version on
the new board) it may have some problems and a Repair Install may be
necessary.

See http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html for detailed
information and instructions.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2004 11:15:48 AM

"Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> When you change the motherboard out for a new one do you
> have to re-install XP all over again?

I had to do a repair installation. You will have to redo all your WinXP
updates however.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse