Recovery console

ok- my computer crashed and i need to restore my computer.
so i popped in the disk and a blue screen came up gaving
me 3 options with setup. 1.) setup window's xp 2.) repair
window's xp using recovery console 3.) exit setup

if i want to keep all the programs on my computer that
i've installed previously, what would i choose? i don't
want to go back to like it just came out of the factory...
i want my programs on it.
7 answers Last reply
More about recovery console

    Anne, if you can't use the System Restore feature then try a Repair
    Install.

    "Anne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok- my computer crashed and i need to restore my computer.
    > so i popped in the disk and a blue screen came up gaving
    > me 3 options with setup. 1.) setup window's xp 2.) repair
    > window's xp using recovery console 3.) exit setup
    >
    > if i want to keep all the programs on my computer that
    > i've installed previously, what would i choose? i don't
    > want to go back to like it just came out of the factory...
    > i want my programs on it.

    If you chose setup Windows XP you will get the option to do
    a repair or in-place reinstall in a non-destructive way or
    to wipe the drive, create new partitions and start clean.
    If you choose recovery console, you will get XP without the
    GUI, in other words a command line interface or "DOS
    emulation window" if you choose exit it exits the CD and
    will boot the hard drive (if it can).

    "Anne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:2f9a01c428b9$29fca320$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    | ok- my computer crashed and i need to restore my computer.
    | so i popped in the disk and a blue screen came up gaving
    | me 3 options with setup. 1.) setup window's xp 2.) repair
    | window's xp using recovery console 3.) exit setup
    |
    | if i want to keep all the programs on my computer that
    | i've installed previously, what would i choose? i don't
    | want to go back to like it just came out of the factory...
    | i want my programs on it.

    Ok- so set up windows xp is non-destructive. what exactly
    does that mean? but repair will take me to DOS. a friend
    told me to use command prompt and type: "sfc/scannow" with
    the xp disk inserted. to get to this command prompt would
    i choose repair?

    If you reinstall Windows on top of itself, it does not
    destroy the structure or data files and settings that you
    have. Recovery Console looks like DOS and is used to edit
    and repair Windows by people who know how to edit the
    registry.
    Running sfc /scannow (note there is a space after sfc) runs
    a program that will detect and repair missing or corrupted
    files.
    You can run this from the recovery console.

    But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    | Ok- so set up windows xp is non-destructive. what exactly
    | does that mean? but repair will take me to DOS. a friend
    | told me to use command prompt and type: "sfc/scannow" with
    | the xp disk inserted. to get to this command prompt would
    | i choose repair?

    From the repair option it's asking me for an
    administrative password and I don't have it. I tried my
    personal password for the computer but it didn't work.

    It is asking for the default admin password, which is
    probably blank, just tab over it.

    message news:2fe501c428c2$b28566b0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    | From the repair option it's asking me for an
    | administrative password and I don't have it. I tried my
    | personal password for the computer but it didn't work.

    alrighty- thanx so much for your help- i think i'm done
    for the night tho. thanx again! :-D

Computers Recovery Console Windows XP