Computer rebooting on P4P800

Hi folks,

Is it possible for updated BIOS's to make one's
system, reboot, and give you bugchecks? in XP?

Has anyone else experienced this?

And also disk failures, and errors saying CD's
have bad blocks? When these errors have NEVER
appeared in Event Viewer before.

The reason why I'm asking is:

I installed a TV tuner with drivers not so long along.
Firstly, the system froze often. So, I got in touch with
Leadtek, and they acknowledged that the drivers
for the tuner weren't compat with HT (the drivers that came, on the CD).

The latest drivers for the tuner, now are compat with HT. So Leadtek say.

Then the system starting rebooting (automatic restart)
is unticked. (this is after I flashed the BIOS to a later version). Then I
noticed that when I disabled
HT (Hyperthreading), it no longer rebooted, which sounded strange to me. So,
I removed the tuner and
the program (the drivers for the tuner are still installed
tho). Then I did a check in Msconfig (and unticked)
the Nvidia commands (NvCpl, NWiz, and NVMctray).

And amazingly, the rebooting stopped, for one day!

I then uninstalled the Nvidia drivers completely the other day. I then
noticed on the Nvidia site that they had
released a new version of the Nvidia drivers (as quite
a few ppl has probs, with the version I had installed
(games crashing, things not working properly).

I reinstalled version 56.72 of the Nvidia drivers
the new version that just came out. And it has still
rebooted itself a few times. The only thing I have
changed is when I flashed the BIOS. (I have reverted
back to the previous BIOS this morning).

As soon as the old Nvidia drivers were removed, I got
a BSOD with the IRQ_EQUAL_OR_LESS message:

something about smwdm.sys, which relates to the
Soundmax icon/drivers for the builtin sound for
this system. So, I went to Add/Remove, and removed
these drivers. Then went to the Asus site and d/l
the latest drivers for Soundmax. And reinstalled them.

And it still rebooted the system a few times after this.

The hardware that is currently in this system has been there for the last
year (minus the tuner). And it has never
rebooted. And never said there have been disk/CD failures, or errors.

So, does this sound like a buggy BIOS flash?
3 answers Last reply
More about computer rebooting p4p800

    "Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Is it possible for updated BIOS's to make one's
    > system, reboot, and give you bugchecks? in XP?
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this?
    >
    > And also disk failures, and errors saying CD's
    > have bad blocks? When these errors have NEVER
    > appeared in Event Viewer before.
    >
    > The reason why I'm asking is:
    >
    > I installed a TV tuner with drivers not so long along.
    > Firstly, the system froze often. So, I got in touch with
    > Leadtek, and they acknowledged that the drivers
    > for the tuner weren't compat with HT (the drivers that came, on the CD).
    >
    > The latest drivers for the tuner, now are compat with HT. So Leadtek say.
    >
    > Then the system starting rebooting (automatic restart)
    > is unticked. (this is after I flashed the BIOS to a later version). Then I
    > noticed that when I disabled
    > HT (Hyperthreading), it no longer rebooted, which sounded strange to me.
    So,
    > I removed the tuner and
    > the program (the drivers for the tuner are still installed
    > tho). Then I did a check in Msconfig (and unticked)
    > the Nvidia commands (NvCpl, NWiz, and NVMctray).
    >
    > And amazingly, the rebooting stopped, for one day!
    >
    > I then uninstalled the Nvidia drivers completely the other day. I then
    > noticed on the Nvidia site that they had
    > released a new version of the Nvidia drivers (as quite
    > a few ppl has probs, with the version I had installed
    > (games crashing, things not working properly).
    >
    > I reinstalled version 56.72 of the Nvidia drivers
    > the new version that just came out. And it has still
    > rebooted itself a few times. The only thing I have
    > changed is when I flashed the BIOS. (I have reverted
    > back to the previous BIOS this morning).
    >
    > As soon as the old Nvidia drivers were removed, I got
    > a BSOD with the IRQ_EQUAL_OR_LESS message:
    >
    > something about smwdm.sys, which relates to the
    > Soundmax icon/drivers for the builtin sound for
    > this system. So, I went to Add/Remove, and removed
    > these drivers. Then went to the Asus site and d/l
    > the latest drivers for Soundmax. And reinstalled them.
    >
    > And it still rebooted the system a few times after this.
    >
    > The hardware that is currently in this system has been there for the last
    > year (minus the tuner). And it has never
    > rebooted. And never said there have been disk/CD failures, or errors.
    >
    > So, does this sound like a buggy BIOS flash?

    rest easy about the bios flash, if it had been bad, it wouldn't boot to
    start with. That isn't to say that some part of the newer bios isn't causing
    you problems.
    I have the P4P800, and the Leadtek Winfast PVR XP, and haven't had a
    problem. For the tuner it says I am using version 5.13.1.243 from 6\12\03.
    One thing I will recommend is to use Driver Cleaner 2 to *completely* remove
    NVIDIA drivers, before installing new ones.
    Another thing is if you didn't have problems before the bios flash, flash it
    back to the previous bios. I am using the 1012 bios that came with the
    board.

    --

    Good Luck!
    BB

    Yup looks like it maybe BIOS 1016.

    I've gone back to 1015 now. Havent
    rebooted yet (after 9 hrs, so far).

    So, so far so good! I would say 1016 of
    the P4P800 BIOS has some bug in it. It reboots
    when HT is enabled. And it screws ya system totally.

    Like giving false disk errors, when there were none
    before! I just uninstalled 54.64 of the drivers
    and deleted the C:/Nvidia folder. Seemed to do the
    trick. And reinstalled 56.72 of the Nvidia drivers.

    Since a lot of ppl seem to have probs with games
    etc crashing with 56.64 as well. Coz at the mo
    the system has what it had in it originally. Never had
    probs till I flashed the new BIOS. If I can keep this
    thing going for the next few days without rebooting
    for say 9-10 hrs, then 1016 of this BIOS
    is definitely stuffed somewhere.

    "Billy_Bat" <billy_bat@reallyhotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > year (minus the tuner). And it has never
    > > rebooted. And never said there have been disk/CD failures, or errors.
    > >
    > > So, does this sound like a buggy BIOS flash?
    > >

    > rest easy about the bios flash, if it had been bad, it wouldn't boot to
    > start with. That isn't to say that some part of the newer bios isn't
    causing
    > you problems.
    > I have the P4P800, and the Leadtek Winfast PVR XP, and haven't had a
    > problem. For the tuner it says I am using version 5.13.1.243 from 6\12\03.
    > One thing I will recommend is to use Driver Cleaner 2 to *completely*
    remove
    > NVIDIA drivers, before installing new ones.
    > Another thing is if you didn't have problems before the bios flash, flash
    it
    > back to the previous bios. I am using the 1012 bios that came with the

    As noted in the previous post. I have 1015 of the
    BIOS in the system now.

    Strangely enough when I had the tuner
    installed with 1016 the CPU temp went to
    43 degrees

    With the 1015 BIOS in with the tuner installed in the
    same PCI slot as when I had 1016.

    The temp stays around 33-35.

    Thats a hell of a lot of difference in temperature,
    for the CPU. The 1016 BIOS update must create
    something to make the 8 degrees diff. Like a spike
    or something. And managed to keep this thing
    going for 12 hrs 30 mins without rebooting!

> [...]
    > > > rebooted. And never said there have been disk/CD failures, or errors.
    > > >
    > > > So, does this sound like a buggy BIOS flash?
    > > >

    > > rest easy about the bios flash, if it had been bad, it wouldn't boot to
    > > start with. That isn't to say that some part of the newer bios isn't
    > causing
    > > you problems.
    > > I have the P4P800, and the Leadtek Winfast PVR XP, and haven't had a
    > > problem. For the tuner it says I am using version 5.13.1.243 from
    6\12\03.
    > > One thing I will recommend is to use Driver Cleaner 2 to *completely*
    > remove
    > > NVIDIA drivers, before installing new ones.
    > > Another thing is if you didn't have problems before the bios flash,
    flash
    > it
    > > back to the previous bios. I am using the 1012 bios that came with the

Asus Tuner Drivers Motherboards