Hardware

I will try to be as brief as possible... I have hardware that the computer says isnt connected.. it used to work untill i did a recovery.. I checked my BIOS and my USB ports said ENABLED...i just found a cd titled MAINBOARD (I've no one to help me) .. i downloaded the drivers but I am stopped because it asks for a PATH .. an OS path .. I don't know what to type in there.. i did browse at files but i kept getting a stop message that none so far are correct path.. I have been trying to connect a cam and my scanner for over a month and am now soooo weary from all these things that are set backs for me. The multimedia controllers are 1-not configured and 2nd- non exsistant ... ..i'm guessing because i've no drivers installed.. please help..i can't even figure out how to use this message board right .. and i think MICROSOFT should have what AOL has >> FREE 24 / 7 LIVE TECH HELP for people like me.. if you can help me with finding the PATH i need thank you.. i only fear that the next step will be another block for me .. all help appreciated
12 answers Last reply
More about hardware

    A few questions:

    You are connecting a USB camera and a USB scanner ?

    Is windows finding these devices and asking you for drivers ?

    What motherboard do you have ?

    "joeysaut" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I will try to be as brief as possible... I have hardware that the computer
    >says isnt connected.. it used to work untill i did a recovery.. I checked
    >my BIOS and my USB ports said ENABLED...i just found a cd titled MAINBOARD
    >(I've no one to help me) .. i downloaded the drivers but I am stopped
    >because it asks for a PATH .. an OS path .. I don't know what to type in
    >there.. i did browse at files but i kept getting a stop message that none
    >so far are correct path.. I have been trying to connect a cam and my
    >scanner for over a month and am now soooo weary from all these things that
    >are set backs for me. The multimedia controllers are 1-not configured and
    >2nd- non exsistant ... ..i'm guessing because i've no drivers installed..
    >please help..i can't even figure out how to use this message board right ..
    >and i think MICROSOFT should have what AOL has >> FREE 24 / 7 LIVE TECH
    >HELP for people like me.. if you can help me with finding the PATH i need
    >thank you.. i only fear that the next step will be another block for me ..
    >all help appreciated

    TY for quick respose !! .. yes the cam and scanner are USB connected .. windows just says NOT CONNECTED and my mother board is P4VXMS > P4 Mainboard (Micro ATX) , which i have the cd for .. downloaded and am stuck needing an OS PATH to type in before i can set it up ..or go another scarey step .. btw my name is gigi

    Often the best thing to do is open the device manager and
    delete all the USB ports, hubs and devices. Then reboot and
    the correct drivers will be loaded for the hubs and ports.
    The install the devices one at a time and get them to
    configure one at a time.

    But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    | TY for quick respose !! .. yes the cam and scanner are USB
    connected .. windows just says NOT CONNECTED and my mother
    board is P4VXMS > P4 Mainboard (Micro ATX) , which i have
    the cd for .. downloaded and am stuck needing an OS PATH to
    type in before i can set it up ..or go another scarey step
    ... btw my name is gigi

    BTW, the motherboard driver CD, should have a setup.exe
    which will run the driver install .

    Nice name.

    "joeysaut" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | TY for quick respose !! .. yes the cam and scanner are USB
    connected .. windows just says NOT CONNECTED and my mother
    board is P4VXMS > P4 Mainboard (Micro ATX) , which i have
    the cd for .. downloaded and am stuck needing an OS PATH to
    type in before i can set it up ..or go another scarey step
    ... btw my name is gigi

    Hi Gigi,
    Like JIm said - the USB drivers will be on the cd. When Windows restrats
    after you have deleted or uninstalled the USB devices, direct it to the cd
    and look for USB drivers.

    The other problem is that Windows may be looking for either the camera or
    Scanner drivers. Make sure you use the cd that came with each of those
    devices to install the drivers.

    Ron
    > BTW, the motherboard driver CD, should have a setup.exe
    > which will run the driver install .
    >
    > Nice name.

    > "joeysaut" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | TY for quick respose !! .. yes the cam and scanner are USB
    > connected .. windows just says NOT CONNECTED and my mother
    > board is P4VXMS > P4 Mainboard (Micro ATX) , which i have
    > the cd for .. downloaded and am stuck needing an OS PATH to
    > type in before i can set it up ..or go another scarey step
    > .. btw my name is gigi

    "joeysaut" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I will try to be as brief as possible... I have hardware that the computer
    says isnt connected.. it used to work untill i did a recovery.. I checked my
    BIOS and my USB ports said ENABLED...i just found a cd titled MAINBOARD
    (I've no one to help me) .. i downloaded the drivers but I am stopped
    because it asks for a PATH .. an OS path .. I don't know what to type in
    there.. i did browse at files but i kept getting a stop message that none so
    far are correct path.. I have been trying to connect a cam and my scanner
    for over a month and am now soooo weary from all these things that are set
    backs for me. The multimedia controllers are 1-not configured and 2nd- non
    exsistant ... ..i'm guessing because i've no drivers installed.. please
    help..i can't even figure out how to use this message board right .. and i
    think MICROSOFT should have what AOL has >> FREE 24 / 7 LIVE TECH HELP for
    people like me.. if you can help me with finding the PATH i need thank you..
    i only fear that the next step will be another block for me .. all help
    appreciated

    As another respondent said, we're not sure what driver windows is asking
    for. So I would first remove the scanner and camera. Boot the PC then go
    into device manager and make sure there are no red or yellow marks. If so
    put in the mainboard cd and let it autostart or navigate to and run the
    "setup" program.
    The object is to correct or clear up one thing at a time. So far so
    good? Then plug one of your USB devices in and insert the cd for it and let
    it autorun or again navigate to it and run the setup program. Test the
    device and make sure it operates. Then go to the second USB device and
    repeat.

    Good Luck
    JoBo

    Well, thank you all very much.. do I understand ?? .. well, I'm trying . This is very hard for me. I just found out that I do not have USB Controller .. can we start with that? After I run the Mainboard CD I am prompted to type in a PATH for devices . I don't know what to type in.. I clicked browse and tried everything that was listed but it showed a "STOP" message ( because they aren't the right answers) so of course that ends it for the installation . I also get a "Found New Hardware Wizard" message EVERYTIME i log into Windows, that asks me to insert a cd . Well I tried the cam cd but it didn't work... IN my device manager it has 3 yellow question marks .. one at: Other Devices, one at : Multimedia Controller, and one at : Multimedia Video Controller. When i click properties it says : Video Controller is not configured properly and Multimedia Video Controller is NOT INSTALLED .. I do not have any cds that are called multi media controller .. what am i not understanding here ??.. it prompts me to insert software .. i would if i knew which software. Thanks again for being patient and please don't give up on me . =-)

    Maybe it is detecting the USB Controller YOU DON'T HAVE.
    Point the request for software to a downloaded USB drivers
    set (from the mobo mfg'r) if you don't have a mobo CD.

    If you don't have a USB Controllert you certainly can't
    install a USB camera.

    | Well, thank you all very much.. do I understand ?? ..
    well, I'm trying . This is very hard for me. I just found
    out that I do not have USB Controller .. can we start with
    that? After I run the Mainboard CD I am prompted to type in
    a PATH for devices . I don't know what to type in.. I
    clicked browse and tried everything that was listed but it
    showed a "STOP" message ( because they aren't the right
    answers) so of course that ends it for the installation . I
    also get a "Found New Hardware Wizard" message EVERYTIME i
    log into Windows, that asks me to insert a cd . Well I tried
    the cam cd but it didn't work... IN my device manager it has
    3 yellow question marks .. one at: Other Devices, one at :
    Multimedia Controller, and one at : Multimedia Video
    Controller. When i click properties it says : Video
    Controller is not configured properly and Multimedia Video
    Controller is NOT INSTALLED .. I do not have any cds that
    are called multi media controller .. what am i not
    understanding here ??.. it prompts me to insert software ..
    i would if i knew which software. Thanks again for being
    patient and please don't give up on me . =-)

    Hey Jim .. you sure help alot of people !! I need to ask something (please don't roll yer eyes ) but .. what is mobo ?

    Short for motherboard. Maybe main-board.

    | Hey Jim .. you sure help alot of people !! I need to ask
    something (please don't roll yer eyes ) but .. what is mobo
    ?

    Hi Jim .. Well, after I asked the last question and logged off I figured out that mobo.. DOHHH !! .. ok here's the scoop : I do have the mobo cd. I downloaded it and just chose the drivers (devices) to start , whereas I was asked to type in a "path".. I looked at the "Browse" list and all the ones there that I clicked on and "sent" into the "typed area" got me a "STOP" message because they weren't correct .. I am stuck at that point. If I had the right path, I could proceed on that mobo cd... any suggestions ?? .. Thank you again !!!

    Open the device manager, highlight the different devices,
    such as USB or video, select properties, update drivers.
    Then point to the files you downloaded to your hard drive.
    Often the drivers files are self-installing, look in the
    files you downloaded for files that could be install
    wizards. There should be some "readme" files or
    instructions on the website where you downloaded the files.

    Hope that helps.

    BTW, mobo=motherboard (common usage)
    mfg'r = manufacturer (don't know if that is common, I use
    it)

    | Hi Jim .. Well, after I asked the last question and logged
    off I figured out that mobo.. DOHHH !! .. ok here's the
    scoop : I do have the mobo cd. I downloaded it and just
    chose the drivers (devices) to start , whereas I was asked
    to type in a "path".. I looked at the "Browse" list and all
    the ones there that I clicked on and "sent" into the "typed
    area" got me a "STOP" message because they weren't correct
    ... I am stuck at that point. If I had the right path, I
    could proceed on that mobo cd... any suggestions ?? .. Thank
    you again !!!

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP