Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Missing Hard Drive

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 23, 2004 7:15:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I updated my pc a while ago and decided to get a new hard
drive, i can't remember exactly what the hard drive is
but it was something like a 80 gig maxtor (i think).

When i conected to my Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7VT600
1394) i Used the SATA cables provided, it took me a while
but i sussed out that even though it never picked up the
hard drive in the Bios it picked it up when i went to C
drive and all i did then was format it and then as you
say "Bobs your uncle", i have had no problems with this
until the last few days, for some unknown reason i booted
up one day and found that i had to install a lot of my
drivers for my motherboard. I guess i must have had a
virus because i ran AVG Anti Virus and it picked up a few
Viruses, i deleted them all but now my C drive will not
pick up my SATA drive, i have used my MOBO disc and
installed all the stuff on it and still nothing, the only
thing that i can think of now is to format the HD, but
that seems a bit extreem.

Any help here would be appreciated

More about : missing hard drive

April 23, 2004 5:25:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Might try a repair install, using F6 option to install the sata drivers from
floppy

"Tony" <tonybirdie@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:340301c4291b$f0d2a910$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> I updated my pc a while ago and decided to get a new hard
> drive, i can't remember exactly what the hard drive is
> but it was something like a 80 gig maxtor (i think).
>
> When i conected to my Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7VT600
> 1394) i Used the SATA cables provided, it took me a while
> but i sussed out that even though it never picked up the
> hard drive in the Bios it picked it up when i went to C
> drive and all i did then was format it and then as you
> say "Bobs your uncle", i have had no problems with this
> until the last few days, for some unknown reason i booted
> up one day and found that i had to install a lot of my
> drivers for my motherboard. I guess i must have had a
> virus because i ran AVG Anti Virus and it picked up a few
> Viruses, i deleted them all but now my C drive will not
> pick up my SATA drive, i have used my MOBO disc and
> installed all the stuff on it and still nothing, the only
> thing that i can think of now is to format the HD, but
> that seems a bit extreem.
>
> Any help here would be appreciated
>
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 5:25:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

When you say repair install do you mean put in xp disc
and then instead of fresh install use repair files.

Please explain if you dont minf.


>-----Original Message-----
>Might try a repair install, using F6 option to install
the sata drivers from
>floppy
>
>"Tony" <tonybirdie@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>news:340301c4291b$f0d2a910$a001280a@phx.gbl...
>> I updated my pc a while ago and decided to get a new
hard
>> drive, i can't remember exactly what the hard drive is
>> but it was something like a 80 gig maxtor (i think).
>>
>> When i conected to my Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7VT600
>> 1394) i Used the SATA cables provided, it took me a
while
>> but i sussed out that even though it never picked up
the
>> hard drive in the Bios it picked it up when i went to C
>> drive and all i did then was format it and then as you
>> say "Bobs your uncle", i have had no problems with this
>> until the last few days, for some unknown reason i
booted
>> up one day and found that i had to install a lot of my
>> drivers for my motherboard. I guess i must have had a
>> virus because i ran AVG Anti Virus and it picked up a
few
>> Viruses, i deleted them all but now my C drive will not
>> pick up my SATA drive, i have used my MOBO disc and
>> installed all the stuff on it and still nothing, the
only
>> thing that i can think of now is to format the HD, but
>> that seems a bit extreem.
>>
>> Any help here would be appreciated
>>
>
>
>.
>
April 24, 2004 3:59:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

When using/installing a sata drive you have to initially install the sata
drivers from a *floppy*
Boot from winxp disk, at some point in the procedure there will be a info
msg to hit F6 to install third party drivers - if you blink you'll miss
it! - once these installed continue with repair.
I'm assuming sata drivers were lost/corrupted with yr other drivers.

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:381e01c42965$c9c47e30$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> When you say repair install do you mean put in xp disc
> and then instead of fresh install use repair files.
>
> Please explain if you dont minf.
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Might try a repair install, using F6 option to install
> the sata drivers from
> >floppy
> >
> >"Tony" <tonybirdie@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >news:340301c4291b$f0d2a910$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> >> I updated my pc a while ago and decided to get a new
> hard
> >> drive, i can't remember exactly what the hard drive is
> >> but it was something like a 80 gig maxtor (i think).
> >>
> >> When i conected to my Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7VT600
> >> 1394) i Used the SATA cables provided, it took me a
> while
> >> but i sussed out that even though it never picked up
> the
> >> hard drive in the Bios it picked it up when i went to C
> >> drive and all i did then was format it and then as you
> >> say "Bobs your uncle", i have had no problems with this
> >> until the last few days, for some unknown reason i
> booted
> >> up one day and found that i had to install a lot of my
> >> drivers for my motherboard. I guess i must have had a
> >> virus because i ran AVG Anti Virus and it picked up a
> few
> >> Viruses, i deleted them all but now my C drive will not
> >> pick up my SATA drive, i have used my MOBO disc and
> >> installed all the stuff on it and still nothing, the
> only
> >> thing that i can think of now is to format the HD, but
> >> that seems a bit extreem.
> >>
> >> Any help here would be appreciated
> >>
> >
> >
> >.
> >
!