What Asus P4 board/memory for best "stream" benchmark?

I'm interested in knowing the best Asus mboard / memory combo for the best
performance on McAlpin's "stream" benchmark, or a very similar benchmark. I
expect this will be a system with the 400 mHz front-side and dual-channel DDR,
but I've just come back to this game after a 2-year hiatus, and the number of
choices seems somewhat bewildering.

e.g.: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/peecee/Bandwidth.html
....for stream performance examples.

I don't need bells and whistles -- it will probably be a minimal system with
adequate video, a DVD-writer,
decent hard disk, Win XP/Linux, 1 - 2 GB memory, and will be connected to three
other systems by a KVM switch
(right now, there are two P4s (RDRAM) and an Athlon on the KVM).

I'm not interested in other benchmarks of buffered memory performance -- just in
tests that are like stream.

I'm not interested in debating an AMD/Intel holy war.
1 answer Last reply
More about what asus board memory stream benchmark

    You have the answer here:

    Intel_875_P4_2.80 1 2391.0 2376.0 2742.0 2715.0
    data

    since intel 875 is = asus model P4C800 family (and of course many other
    makers and models) using an Intel P4 @ 2.8 GHz. The mobo used in the
    benchmark also appears to be an Intel one.

    Interestingly only the two top end opterons beat it although Intel P4 EE
    chips (3.2 GHz and 3.4) probably will too.

    The Asus P4P family of mobos may be worth taking a look.

    - Tim

    "H.W. Stockman" <stockman3@earth-REMOVE_THIS-link.net> wrote in message
    > I'm interested in knowing the best Asus mboard / memory combo for the best
    > performance on McAlpin's "stream" benchmark, or a very similar benchmark.
    > expect this will be a system with the 400 mHz front-side and dual-channel
    DDR,
    > but I've just come back to this game after a 2-year hiatus, and the number
    of
    > choices seems somewhat bewildering.
    >
    > e.g.: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/peecee/Bandwidth.html
    > ...for stream performance examples.
    >
    > I don't need bells and whistles -- it will probably be a minimal system
    with
    > adequate video, a DVD-writer,
    > decent hard disk, Win XP/Linux, 1 - 2 GB memory, and will be connected to
    three
    > other systems by a KVM switch
    > (right now, there are two P4s (RDRAM) and an Athlon on the KVM).
    >
    > I'm not interested in other benchmarks of buffered memory performance --
    just in
    > tests that are like stream.
    >
    > I'm not interested in debating an AMD/Intel holy war.

Asus Benchmark Memory Motherboards