A7N8DX v2 audio questions

Anyone up to speed on the audio side of this Mobo?

My HDD recently died the big death of HDD and I had to rebuild the
system.. installed drivers and OS..

I have CreativeLabs 5.1 speakers on the system but can't seem to get
all progs to work all speakers.. frustrating.. dunno what I am doing
wrong..

Anyone available to answer some questions?

Cheers

"Seaking" <Seaking@-NOSPAM-eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> Anyone up to speed on the audio side of this Mobo?
>
> My HDD recently died the big death of HDD and I had to rebuild the
> system.. installed drivers and OS..
>
> I have CreativeLabs 5.1 speakers on the system but can't seem to get
> all progs to work all speakers.. frustrating.. dunno what I am doing
> wrong..
>
> Anyone available to answer some questions?
>
> Cheers

If you have the right drivers loaded and follow the manual, the speaker
hook-up is fairly straight forward. If, on the other hand, you have the
speakers working already and you are saying that certain programs will not
output to all speakers, that is normally not a problem - not all programs
output surround signals.

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 02:42:04 GMT, "KCB"
<kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote:

>"Seaking" <Seaking@-NOSPAM-eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>> Anyone up to speed on the audio side of this Mobo?
>>
>> My HDD recently died the big death of HDD and I had to rebuild the
>> system.. installed drivers and OS..
>>
>> I have CreativeLabs 5.1 speakers on the system but can't seem to get
>> all progs to work all speakers.. frustrating.. dunno what I am doing
>> wrong..
>>
>> Anyone available to answer some questions?
>>
>> Cheers
>
>If you have the right drivers loaded and follow the manual, the speaker
>hook-up is fairly straight forward. If, on the other hand, you have the
>speakers working already and you are saying that certain programs will not
>output to all speakers, that is normally not a problem - not all programs
>output surround signals.

Thanks for your quick reply.. I did some more looking on line about
what was happening and it's all about the drivers.. I went to the
nVidia site and originaly grabbed their all in 1 drivers but this
apparently caused some probs.. I just installed the latest drivers
from the ASUS site and now everything seems to work properly.. I use
WinAmp5 to DL stream tunes whilst I am working online and now I am
hearing the sound in all speakers (5.1) whereas before on the nVidia
drivers the music would only play out on the front speakers...
strange..

Oh well, at least I am closer to finishing the build up..

Thanks again

"Latest drivers" on Asus site are not latest at all.
Nvidia site has latest.

> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 02:42:04 GMT, "KCB"
> <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote:
>

> >"Seaking" <Seaking@-NOSPAM-eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> >> Anyone up to speed on the audio side of this Mobo?
> >>
> >> My HDD recently died the big death of HDD and I had to rebuild the
> >> system.. installed drivers and OS..
> >>
> >> I have CreativeLabs 5.1 speakers on the system but can't seem to get
> >> all progs to work all speakers.. frustrating.. dunno what I am doing
> >> wrong..
> >>
> >> Anyone available to answer some questions?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >
> >If you have the right drivers loaded and follow the manual, the speaker
> >hook-up is fairly straight forward. If, on the other hand, you have the
> >speakers working already and you are saying that certain programs will
not
> >output to all speakers, that is normally not a problem - not all
programs
> >output surround signals.
>
> Thanks for your quick reply.. I did some more looking on line about
> what was happening and it's all about the drivers.. I went to the
> nVidia site and originaly grabbed their all in 1 drivers but this
> apparently caused some probs.. I just installed the latest drivers
> from the ASUS site and now everything seems to work properly.. I use
> WinAmp5 to DL stream tunes whilst I am working online and now I am
> hearing the sound in all speakers (5.1) whereas before on the nVidia
> drivers the music would only play out on the front speakers...
> strange..
>
> Oh well, at least I am closer to finishing the build up..
>
> Thanks again

Somewhere there is a break down as the nVidia site drivers wouldn't
work on my system properly.. I don't know why. I tried the nVidia
drivers again after reading this and I couldn't get WinAmp or games to
play the rear speakers on the 5.1 system.. frustrating.. I must be
missing something 'painfully obvious'..

However, now the sound coming through from all progs, sources etc are
'crackly' like listening to a not tooo perfect vinyl LP on cheap
speakers..

Any ways to clean this up? My original install had perfect crisp clear
super sounds.. I can't see to get that back..

Thanks for your input..

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:00:20 +0100, "Noomie" <noomie@creb.ca> wrote:

>"Latest drivers" on Asus site are not latest at all.
>Nvidia site has latest.
>
>"Seaking" <Seaking@-NOSPAM-eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 02:42:04 GMT, "KCB"
>> <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote:
>>

>> >"Seaking" <Seaking@-NOSPAM-eastlink.ca> wrote in message

>> >If you have the right drivers loaded and follow the manual, the speaker
>> >hook-up is fairly straight forward. If, on the other hand, you have the
>> >speakers working already and you are saying that certain programs will
>not
>> >output to all speakers, that is normally not a problem - not all
>programs
>> >output surround signals.
>>
>> Thanks for your quick reply.. I did some more looking on line about
>> what was happening and it's all about the drivers.. I went to the
>> nVidia site and originaly grabbed their all in 1 drivers but this
>> apparently caused some probs.. I just installed the latest drivers
>> from the ASUS site and now everything seems to work properly.. I use
>> WinAmp5 to DL stream tunes whilst I am working online and now I am
>> hearing the sound in all speakers (5.1) whereas before on the nVidia
>> drivers the music would only play out on the front speakers...
>> strange..
>>
>> Oh well, at least I am closer to finishing the build up..
>>
>> Thanks again

There is considerable discussion of this "problem" on some thread at
www.nforcershq.com in the drivers forum.

I recall someone discovering that a particular setting in the Nvidia
soundstorm control panel will cause rear speakers to stop working with
winamp. I don't use winamp and thus do not recall the specific
setting of interest. Read up there and you may find your answer.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:51:21 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>There is considerable discussion of this "problem" on some thread at
>www.nforcershq.com in the drivers forum.
>
>I recall someone discovering that a particular setting in the Nvidia
>soundstorm control panel will cause rear speakers to stop working with
>winamp. I don't use winamp and thus do not recall the specific
>setting of interest. Read up there and you may find your answer.

Many thanks..!

peter

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/nemesimods/gallery.html
look for his remix of Nvidea drivers especially his 4.10 audio drivers
they are in my humble opinion better than the newest one from the XP download
site
peter