Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

P4C800-E Deluxe mouse and SATA problem

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 4, 2004 10:04:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hello.
Maybe somebody has come across and can suggest a solution to the
following:

I've replaced a burned Intel mobo with an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe one, a
3.2 P4 and 1G Kingston memory in a box with a 450W suply.
I've also replaced my old GF4 Asus with a new one (Asus 5950 Ultra).
I transferred the CD drives and my old Western Digital disks
(connected to a Promise controller) into the new system and added a
160GB WD SATA (conected to the motherboard).
The configuration now is:

Primary IDE master: LG multi DVD drive
Primary IDE slave: not connected
Secondary IDE master: Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616F
Secondary IDE slave: Teac CD writer
Third IDE master: WD SATA 160
no other connections.

On a Promise card Ultra 133TX2 there are 3 WD hard disks.
D0 is primary and boot, D1 and D2 are extended partitions.

The new 160GB SATA is also formatted as an extended partition and is
currently completely empty.

Using BIOS defaults, or setting the system to IDE instead of RAID
(which is not), or disabling the raid controler, or updating to BIOS
1016, gives the exact same problems.

1) On the times I manage to boot into XP SP1, the PS2 mouse is frozen.
Changing mice makes no difference. A USB mouse works fine.

2) On the BIOS post, 99% of the times, the Samsung CD ROM does not
show as secondary IDE master (shows as not connected). When I click on
it, it finds it fine so it shows on the main BIOS page. But, it
disappears on the next boot.

3) Again on BIOS post, the SATA is most of the times invisible. A few
reboots later, it appears. When it does, it is set as a boot device
overriding the drive D0 that I had set up, so I have to redo that part
and hope it will see the SATA on the reboot.

All in all, a veritable mess.

So what do I do?

Do I have a lemon of a mobo? Is it some configuration trick that I
miss? Is it a conflict with my Promise Ultra 1133TX2? If so, how else
can I connect all these devices and make sure they work? (The reason
for that Promise controller was to manage my disks so I could use the
onboard IDE for the CDs. Managing the CDs with the controler instead,
wouldn't work. The CD writers wouldn't operate at their full speed.)

Any suggestions? (other than doing a fresh install of XP which I'm not
about to do and would rather throw out the Asus).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 6:25:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Not a lot of help here, but I have seen other folks who have discovered
that XP does not deal well with swapping motherboards out from under
it. I have seen references to some fix you can get that will force
XP to essentially start from scratch and rescan all the hardward, but
unfortunately do not remember any of the details of that fix, perhaps
some web searches would turn it up?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 6:25:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Thomas A. Horsley" <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote in message
news:uwu4ves6k.fsf@att.net...
> Not a lot of help here, but I have seen other folks who have discovered
> that XP does not deal well with swapping motherboards out from under
> it. I have seen references to some fix you can get that will force
> XP to essentially start from scratch and rescan all the hardward, but
> unfortunately do not remember any of the details of that fix, perhaps
> some web searches would turn it up?

Is this the site you were thinking about?
http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

HTH,
Tom
Related resources
April 4, 2004 9:39:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

If I'm reading your post correctly, you have two Ultra133 HDDs connected to
a PCI Promise controller. There might be a conflict here. You don't need the
PCI Promise controller, remove it and connect your two Ultra133 HDDs to the
onboard Promise controller. Make sure the onboard Promise controller
Operating Mode is set to IDE. This will eliminate the possibility of a
conflict from the PCI controller. Make sure you check the jumpers on all
HDDs and CDD/DVDs.

If the system still don't work correctly, post your new configuration, we
may be of further help.

"kanenas" <kanenas_0@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:8135553b.0404040504.6a8b4734@posting.google.com...
> Hello.
> Maybe somebody has come across and can suggest a solution to the
> following:
>
> I've replaced a burned Intel mobo with an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe one, a
> 3.2 P4 and 1G Kingston memory in a box with a 450W suply.
> I've also replaced my old GF4 Asus with a new one (Asus 5950 Ultra).
> I transferred the CD drives and my old Western Digital disks
> (connected to a Promise controller) into the new system and added a
> 160GB WD SATA (conected to the motherboard).
> The configuration now is:
>
> Primary IDE master: LG multi DVD drive
> Primary IDE slave: not connected
> Secondary IDE master: Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616F
> Secondary IDE slave: Teac CD writer
> Third IDE master: WD SATA 160
> no other connections.
>
> On a Promise card Ultra 133TX2 there are 3 WD hard disks.
> D0 is primary and boot, D1 and D2 are extended partitions.
>
> The new 160GB SATA is also formatted as an extended partition and is
> currently completely empty.
>
> Using BIOS defaults, or setting the system to IDE instead of RAID
> (which is not), or disabling the raid controler, or updating to BIOS
> 1016, gives the exact same problems.
>
> 1) On the times I manage to boot into XP SP1, the PS2 mouse is frozen.
> Changing mice makes no difference. A USB mouse works fine.
>
> 2) On the BIOS post, 99% of the times, the Samsung CD ROM does not
> show as secondary IDE master (shows as not connected). When I click on
> it, it finds it fine so it shows on the main BIOS page. But, it
> disappears on the next boot.
>
> 3) Again on BIOS post, the SATA is most of the times invisible. A few
> reboots later, it appears. When it does, it is set as a boot device
> overriding the drive D0 that I had set up, so I have to redo that part
> and hope it will see the SATA on the reboot.
>
> All in all, a veritable mess.
>
> So what do I do?
>
> Do I have a lemon of a mobo? Is it some configuration trick that I
> miss? Is it a conflict with my Promise Ultra 1133TX2? If so, how else
> can I connect all these devices and make sure they work? (The reason
> for that Promise controller was to manage my disks so I could use the
> onboard IDE for the CDs. Managing the CDs with the controler instead,
> wouldn't work. The CD writers wouldn't operate at their full speed.)
>
> Any suggestions? (other than doing a fresh install of XP which I'm not
> about to do and would rather throw out the Asus).
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2004 2:19:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

>Is this the site you were thinking about?
>http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

I don't really remember, though it certainly looks similar, but I could
swear I've seen something once about getting XP to rescan all the hardware
without the full repair install.

I guess the main reason I don't remember much is that I always look
on a motherboard swap as a good opportunity to clean out all the
old junk an reinstall from scratch :-).
--
>>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/&gt; >>==+
email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley&gt; Free Software and Politics <<==+
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2004 12:53:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"kanenas" <kanenas_0@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:8135553b.0404060410.108da3dc@posting.google.com...
> The latest is the misandentures:
>
> I removed the SATA disk. Even disconnected from the motherboard and
> just connected to a power plug, it was making a clicking noise now and
> then. I'm waiting for a replacement now.
>
> The PS2 mouse is still visible but frozen in Windows.
> Booting in MSDOS and using some mouse-controlled DOS program
> (Edit.com) the mouse behaves nicely. Something wrong with the XP
> driver then or a conflict.
>
> The ocassional screen freeze I had attributed to the misbehaving SATA
> drive seems to have been a wrong assumption.

<snip>

If you aren't willing to do a fresh install of XP, then how can you expect
to troubleshoot all these issues? (I may have missed it, but you originally
said you were still running the Intel Mainboard install of XP).

If you have all these HDD's around, format one and put XP on it. Bet it
works just fine.
April 7, 2004 4:50:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Well, the main reason is that I have installed hundreds of programs
and don't feel like reinstalling them again.
After all it's only the mouse that misbehaves in Windows and worse
comes to worst, I'll use a USB mouse on the side.
The graphics card problem is card-specific. Either its hardware is bad
or it doesn't like the motherboard.
The SATA problem occurs at the BIOS level and nothing to do with
Windows.
On top of that, why bother calling it "troubleshooting" if some
configuration needs a naked system to test it on? That's not
troubleshooting but it's probably what companies do when they release
something that the users have to actually fight with.
And where's the fun in learning if I keep reformatting my system
everytime something happens?
Take care.

"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<YMEcc.39576$Ig.2497@pd7tw2no>...
> "kanenas" <kanenas_0@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:8135553b.0404060410.108da3dc@posting.google.com...
> > The latest is the misandentures:
> >
> > I removed the SATA disk. Even disconnected from the motherboard and
> > just connected to a power plug, it was making a clicking noise now and
> > then. I'm waiting for a replacement now.
> >
> > The PS2 mouse is still visible but frozen in Windows.
> > Booting in MSDOS and using some mouse-controlled DOS program
> > (Edit.com) the mouse behaves nicely. Something wrong with the XP
> > driver then or a conflict.
> >
> > The ocassional screen freeze I had attributed to the misbehaving SATA
> > drive seems to have been a wrong assumption.
>
> <snip>
>
> If you aren't willing to do a fresh install of XP, then how can you expect
> to troubleshoot all these issues? (I may have missed it, but you originally
> said you were still running the Intel Mainboard install of XP).
>
> If you have all these HDD's around, format one and put XP on it. Bet it
> works just fine.
April 19, 2004 5:32:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

An update on the status of my system's problems:

The WD SATA drive was bad after all. It was replaced and the new one
is being recognized right away.
The Asus V9980 went back to the dealer and I should have a replacement
in a day or two. Most probably bad memory on the card. I'm using an
FX5200 for now.
The PS2 mouse is still in a coma. Windows and various tools identify
it fine but it remains frozen. Using a USB mouse now.
I tried to update my WinXP (updated to SP1) with an XP SP1 CD.
It prepaped the files for updating but when it rebooted and tried to
install it claimed that disk C: (where the original \Windows is) was
corrupted.
Any tool I run against the drive didn't find any errors.
The only problem I see that could explain this behaviour is an error
in the Event Log that seems to have been there months before I
replaced the motherboard.
It's an information message by WinLogon (in the Application Log):
******
Event ID: 1001
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
One of the disks needs to be checked, etc
Windows will now check the disk.
Volume serial number is 6088-4794
The specified disk appears to be a non-Windows XP disk.
Do you want to continue? (Y/N) No
******
What on earth is a non-WIndows XP disk?
It looks like some partition information is corrupted but how come no
tool can identify it or correct it?
How to try and fix that?

Here's some info that might be useful for some of you sometime.
After this failed XP update, I resetted the Boot.ini to what it was
before so I didn't have to select between XP and its Update on the
boot menu.
Nevertheless the system remained in a state of Update In Progress.
That caused my display driver not to start. I had the high-res but the
NVidia driver wouldn't load so display was pretty slow.
The fix was to take the system out of this state.
In HKLM\System\Setup set SystemSetupInProgress and UpgradeInProgress
to 0 and reboot.

Take care all.

kanenas_0@hotmail.com (kanenas) wrote in message news:<8135553b.0404062350.107ade0a@posting.google.com>...
> Well, the main reason is that I have installed hundreds of programs
> and don't feel like reinstalling them again.
> After all it's only the mouse that misbehaves in Windows and worse
> comes to worst, I'll use a USB mouse on the side.
> The graphics card problem is card-specific. Either its hardware is bad
> or it doesn't like the motherboard.
> The SATA problem occurs at the BIOS level and nothing to do with
> Windows.
> On top of that, why bother calling it "troubleshooting" if some
> configuration needs a naked system to test it on? That's not
> troubleshooting but it's probably what companies do when they release
> something that the users have to actually fight with.
> And where's the fun in learning if I keep reformatting my system
> everytime something happens?
> Take care.
>
> "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<YMEcc.39576$Ig.2497@pd7tw2no>...
> > "kanenas" <kanenas_0@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:8135553b.0404060410.108da3dc@posting.google.com...
> > > The latest is the misandentures:
> > >
> > > I removed the SATA disk. Even disconnected from the motherboard and
> > > just connected to a power plug, it was making a clicking noise now and
> > > then. I'm waiting for a replacement now.
> > >
> > > The PS2 mouse is still visible but frozen in Windows.
> > > Booting in MSDOS and using some mouse-controlled DOS program
> > > (Edit.com) the mouse behaves nicely. Something wrong with the XP
> > > driver then or a conflict.
> > >
> > > The ocassional screen freeze I had attributed to the misbehaving SATA
> > > drive seems to have been a wrong assumption.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > If you aren't willing to do a fresh install of XP, then how can you expect
> > to troubleshoot all these issues? (I may have missed it, but you originally
> > said you were still running the Intel Mainboard install of XP).
> >
> > If you have all these HDD's around, format one and put XP on it. Bet it
> > works just fine.
!