repair install /w OEM

Does an OEM XP disk support a repair install?
Not the repair console, but the second choice.
The reason I'm asking is I have to machines, one
with the retail XP CD and the second with an OEM.
The PC with the OEM as a problem and blue screens
and reboots when windows starts even in safe mode.
When I try to do a repair install I'm never given the
choice to press R to let windows try to repair this
installation, like I am on my other machine.

Jim M
8 answers Last reply
More about repair install

    Are you going past the EULA license agreement?
    hit "F8" the next screen should have the option for a "repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R" or "fresh copy without repairing"

    This webpage below might help scroll down to "How to run a repair Install"

    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Installing%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:

    Yes and no.
    It depends if the OEM gave that capability.

    IIRC, Dell and Gateway can
    HP and Compaq can not.
    Of course there are others...

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    > Yes and no.
    > It depends if the OEM gave that capability.
    >
    > IIRC, Dell and Gateway can
    > HP and Compaq can not.
    > Of course there are others...
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Does an OEM XP disk support a repair install?
    > > Not the repair console, but the second choice.
    > > The reason I'm asking is I have to machines, one
    > > with the retail XP CD and the second with an OEM.
    > > The PC with the OEM as a problem and blue screens
    > > and reboots when windows starts even in safe mode.
    > > When I try to do a repair install I'm never given the
    > > choice to press R to let windows try to repair this
    > > installation, like I am on my other machine.
    > >
    > > Jim M

    I bought this CD from a small mom and pop company
    at the same time as my mother board. The CD looks
    like it came from Microsoft except it has OEM and
    for distribution with new PC only printed on it.

    Jim M

    "sue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Are you going past the EULA license agreement?
    > hit "F8" the next screen should have the option for a "repair the selected
    Windows XP installation, press R" or "fresh copy without repairing"

    > This webpage below might help scroll down to "How to run a repair Install"

    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Installing%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:

    After pressing F8 my windows installation is listed but I'm only given the
    choices to delete the installation or format the drive. I'm not sure if
    I remembered the choices correctly but repair wasn't one of them.

    Jim M

    Have the blue screen been a problem on the OEM installed computer since the start of usage, or just recently occurred?

    What are the error messages? A repair or clean install might not be able to fix, it could be a memory module problem or a hardware problem

    I'm assuming that you went into your CMOS setup utility, changed your boot devices to boot from cd-rom, then booted the computer using the OEM diskette.

    Are you hitting "F8" in the setup screen after the users license agreement, or before the setup screen starts? An OEM version bought at a computer store usually has the repair option, like Jupiter said its OEM version from computer manufacturers that don't, since they have recovery disks and/or use hidden partitions on the hard drive.

    > Have the blue screen been a problem on the OEM installed computer since
    the start of usage, or just recently occurred?

    > What are the error messages? A repair or clean install might not be able
    to fix, it could be a memory module problem or a hardware problem

    > I'm assuming that you went into your CMOS setup utility, changed your boot
    devices to boot from cd-rom, then booted the computer using the OEM
    diskette.

    > Are you hitting "F8" in the setup screen after the users license
    agreement, or before the setup screen starts? An OEM version bought at a
    computer store usually has the repair option, like Jupiter said its OEM
    version from computer manufacturers that don't, since they have recovery
    disks and/or use hidden partitions on the hard drive.

    Thanks for your help. I formatted the drive and did a clean
    install. I've installed drivers and ran windows updates.
    And everything is working so far. After the new install
    I booted from the CD and this time I had the choice of
    letting windows repair the installation. So either I missed it
    the first time (most likely) or ?

    I had flashed the BIOS and was having problems with
    my TV card. Asus removed that BIOS from their sight
    because of problems so I flashed to the earlier BIOS to
    see if that fixed the problem.
    that's when I started having the blue screens.
    The computer booted to fast to be able to see the errors.

    Jim M

    "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I bought this CD from a small mom and pop company
    >at the same time as my mother board. The CD looks
    >like it came from Microsoft except it has OEM and
    >for distribution with new PC only printed on it.
    >
    >Jim M

    That would be a "full install" generic OEM CD. Microsoft sells these
    to the smaller OEMs and Assemblers in 5 packs. It will do a repair
    install with no problems.

    I pay my computer assembler an extra $20 per system to get the generic
    OEM CD with new systems rather than an AOpen "System Recovery" CD.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Does an OEM XP disk support a repair install?

    The one you say you have, yes.

    KB 315341: "How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows
    XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
    http://tinyurl.com/2zgk

    --