No onboard Sound on A7V8X-X

Wemic

Hi all,

I have a friend with this board and he has a problem getting the onboard
sound working. I'm heading over there later in the week but in the
meantime, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem. He hasn't
upgraded the BIOS yet as he is skittish about it, so I suspect this may be
at the root of his problem. He's running WinXP home and this seems to be
his only problem with this first build of his. Anyone see this problem
before? He has installed the latest sound drivers to no avail.

TIA.

Wemic

"Wemic" <djackso2@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a friend with this board and he has a problem getting the onboard
> sound working. I'm heading over there later in the week but in the
> meantime, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem. He
hasn't
> upgraded the BIOS yet as he is skittish about it, so I suspect this may be
> at the root of his problem. He's running WinXP home and this seems to be
> his only problem with this first build of his. Anyone see this problem
> before? He has installed the latest sound drivers to no avail.
>
> TIA.
>
> Wemic
I had enough background noise,(sounded like a modem trying to dial) in mine
that I disabled it
and put in a SoundBlaster Live card I had.
I tried all the latest drivers and nothing seemed to help.
Tom

Tom R mumbled his insignificant opinion in:
1070q6nplmpb021@corp.supernews.com

> I had enough background noise,(sounded like a modem trying to dial)
> in mine that I disabled it
> and put in a SoundBlaster Live card I had.
> I tried all the latest drivers and nothing seemed to help.

Now that sure sounds familiar... (see other post in this thread) Ofcourse i
was dumb enough to sell my Live! card just before i got the a7n8x-x, as it
had onboard sound and was supposed to match up with SB live cards in
performance and cpu utilization... However nobody told me that it sounds
like a police sirene... I cant believe asus havent adressed this issue yet?

"Sune Storgaard" <speg-fjern@mail.dk> wrote in message
> Tom R mumbled his insignificant opinion in:
> 1070q6nplmpb021@corp.supernews.com
>
> > I had enough background noise,(sounded like a modem trying to dial)
> > in mine that I disabled it
> > and put in a SoundBlaster Live card I had.
> > I tried all the latest drivers and nothing seemed to help.
>
> Now that sure sounds familiar... (see other post in this thread) Ofcourse
> was dumb enough to sell my Live! card just before i got the a7n8x-x, as it
> had onboard sound and was supposed to match up with SB live cards in
> performance and cpu utilization... However nobody told me that it sounds
> like a police sirene... I cant believe asus havent adressed this issue
yet?

I have A7V8X-X but disabled the audio, modem, lan in the BIOS right away. I
haven't even tried the onboard audio and don't intend to. I use a SBlive for
games and it works fine. If you play PC games much, you could always buy a
used Sblive and it would be worth it. Keep your Sblive. Sblive is ok, but
not as good as a sb16 which I had before. I would still be using it, except
it needs an ISA slot. :(

ljm

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wemic wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a friend with this board and he has a problem getting the onboard
> sound working. I'm heading over there later in the week but in the
> meantime, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem. He hasn't
> upgraded the BIOS yet as he is skittish about it, so I suspect this may be
> at the root of his problem. He's running WinXP home and this seems to be
> his only problem with this first build of his. Anyone see this problem
> before? He has installed the latest sound drivers to no avail.
>
> TIA.
>
> Wemic

Sometimes boards don't get all their jumpers installed. Make sure
jumpers go from LINE OUT to BLINE OUT on each channel on the FPAUDIO1
connector.

Rob

Wemic

Ah...good idea...didn't think of that. I was over there this evening and
still couldn't get it to work. The front panel audio connection was working
though. I had pretty much concluded that the rear panel connector is
faulty. When I left, he was on Newegg about to order an Audigy 2. A good
selection but the original idea was for him to save some bucks by going with
the onboard sound.

Wemic

"Rob" <robc@insightbb.spambone.com> wrote in message
> Wemic wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a friend with this board and he has a problem getting the onboard
> > sound working. I'm heading over there later in the week but in the
> > meantime, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem. He
hasn't
> > upgraded the BIOS yet as he is skittish about it, so I suspect this may
be
> > at the root of his problem. He's running WinXP home and this seems to
be
> > his only problem with this first build of his. Anyone see this problem
> > before? He has installed the latest sound drivers to no avail.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Wemic
> >

> Sometimes boards don't get all their jumpers installed. Make sure
> jumpers go from LINE OUT to BLINE OUT on each channel on the FPAUDIO1
> connector.
>
> Rob

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

What Problem my one works Fine How can Asus address a problem that's not
there.

"Wemic" <djackso2@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a friend with this board and he has a problem getting the onboard
> sound working. I'm heading over there later in the week but in the
> meantime, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem. He
hasn't
> upgraded the BIOS yet as he is skittish about it, so I suspect this may be
> at the root of his problem. He's running WinXP home and this seems to be
> his only problem with this first build of his. Anyone see this problem
> before? He has installed the latest sound drivers to no avail.
>
> TIA.
>
> Wemic

Wemic

John,

Thanks great that you don't have a problem but my friend's board does.
What I'm thinking there may be some jumper problem as per a previous
post in this thread. Did you just plug in and go or was there a
setting you needed? Yes, the sound is enabled in BIOS. The front
panel connector works fine....it's just the rear.

Wemic

"John" <jlocan@bluep.com> wrote in message news:<40790971@news.comindico.com.au>...
> What Problem my one works Fine How can Asus address a problem that's not
> there.
>

> "Wemic" <djackso2@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a friend with this board and he has a problem getting the onboard
> > sound working. I'm heading over there later in the week but in the
> > meantime, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem. He
> hasn't
> > upgraded the BIOS yet as he is skittish about it, so I suspect this may be
> > at the root of his problem. He's running WinXP home and this seems to be
> > his only problem with this first build of his. Anyone see this problem
> > before? He has installed the latest sound drivers to no avail.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Wemic

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wemic wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks great that you don't have a problem but my friend's board does.
> What I'm thinking there may be some jumper problem as per a previous
> post in this thread. Did you just plug in and go or was there a
> setting you needed? Yes, the sound is enabled in BIOS. The front
> panel connector works fine....it's just the rear.
>
> Wemic
>
> "John" <jlocan@bluep.com> wrote in message news:<40790971@news.comindico.com.au>...
>
>>What Problem my one works Fine How can Asus address a problem that's not
>>there.
>>

>>"Wemic" <djackso2@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I have a friend with this board and he has a problem getting the onboard
>>>sound working. I'm heading over there later in the week but in the
>>>meantime, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem. He
>>
>> hasn't
>>
>>>upgraded the BIOS yet as he is skittish about it, so I suspect this may be
>>>at the root of his problem. He's running WinXP home and this seems to be
>>>his only problem with this first build of his. Anyone see this problem
>>>before? He has installed the latest sound drivers to no avail.
>>>
>>>TIA.
>>>
>>>Wemic

Wemic,
I mentioned the FPAUDIO1 jumpers previously. In thinking a step further,
I wondered if connections are already made that ports the audio signals
to a front jack thereby disabling the rear? Some Front Panel setups
won't allow the audio to revert to the rear jacks if the front ones are
not in use. If such connections exists, you can test by removing them
from FPAUDIO1 and jumping each channels BLINE to LINE. This will
disable the front but verify that the rear ones work! HTH.

Rob