xm600 dual processor upgrade!

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

hi, ive got a HP xm600, and i want to upgrade it to dual
processor from a single, ive installed the second CPU,
but nothing! the processore freq is still 733 (ive put 2
733MHz CPU's in), how do i set my computer to rcognise
the second CPU?
Im on XP pro!
Thanks for you r help
Dave

bar

Windows XP Pro is licencenced for not more than two Processors in a single computer and thus recognises your dual CPU configuration. Windows Home does not. Make sure you have Pro and not Home.

You may need to refer to your user guide in order to have BIOS recognise the second CPU, but I don't think it is necessary.

In XP Pro, go to Device Manager, double click on Computer, double click on ACPI Uniprocessor PC
In the Properties tab click on Driver tab and click on Update Driver
Click on Next to begin the Update Device Driver Wizard. In the next windowselect Display a list of known drivers then click on Next to continue.
Select Show all hardware of this device class and in the Manufacturers section, select [Standard Computers] and in the Models section, select ACPI Multiprocessor PC and then click on the Next buttton.
Click on Next to install the driver and when this is complete, click on Finish.
Close all windows and restart your PC when prompted.

It should reboot and be able to use both CPUs.

Good luck.

SERVO

Dave wrote:
> hi, ive got a HP xm600, and i want to upgrade it to dual
> processor from a single, ive installed the second CPU,
> but nothing! the processore freq is still 733 (ive put 2
> 733MHz CPU's in), how do i set my computer to rcognise
> the second CPU?
> Im on XP pro!
> Thanks for you r help
> Dave

You have to use software and drivers that were written for dual CPUs

--
Servo

"Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!"

tservo100 at ameritech dot net
Slow, fiery death to all spammers!

Hello Dave,
Open Device Manager.
What is the machine type listed on Computer?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
>From: "Dave" <daverlloyd@hotmail.com>
>Sender: "Dave" <daverlloyd@hotmail.com>
>Subject: xm600 dual processor upgrade!
>Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:53:52 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
>
>hi, ive got a HP xm600, and i want to upgrade it to dual
>processor from a single, ive installed the second CPU,
>but nothing! the processore freq is still 733 (ive put 2
>733MHz CPU's in), how do i set my computer to rcognise
>the second CPU?
>Im on XP pro!
>Thanks for you r help
>Dave

Look at : Accessories -> System tools -> System information
you should see the 2 processors there ... If not your processors are
not matched pair ...

--
Pan-Pan