Serial ATA

April 23, 2004 8:07:49 PM

Hi.
I've got 2 maxtor SATA 160GB set up as strip.
My question is if i right click my pc then click manage,
then storage then disc management. It shows my drives as a
standard pc, with logical drive etc.... in settings it
says the stripped drives should be shown as cadet blue.
Does this mean that i have done something wrong in the set
up.?
The pam utility shows it to be all ok, but the boot up
screen and entering fasttrack setup shows that it is setup
as U5 which is only a transfer of 100mb/sec.. How would i
get it to 150mb/sec.
The drives are 150mb/sec transfer so would it run at
150mb/sec as default and these reading that i'm getting
just be wrong .? It all works ok, I just like to know what
i set up is ok,,, what with these different readings.
Many thanks for your help.
Phill
(running xp pro msi K7N2 Delta -ILRS barton 2500 cpu
overclocked to 3200. 1024mb critical ram and 256
graphics.)

More about : serial ata

April 23, 2004 9:29:23 PM

I also have 2 160 gig Maxtor SATA HDs. How did you get
windows xp to recognize them. I am installing XP on a new
computer with these drives. I cannot find a driver that
XP will recognize during set-up.

April 24, 2004 1:25:52 AM

My system shows the same results as yours. I use Atto Bench to test the
drive performance and those results are excellent.
I have 2 Maxtor Sata drives in a Raid Array.

"Phill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I've got 2 maxtor SATA 160GB set up as strip.
> My question is if i right click my pc then click manage,
> then storage then disc management. It shows my drives as a
> standard pc, with logical drive etc.... in settings it
> says the stripped drives should be shown as cadet blue.
> Does this mean that i have done something wrong in the set
> up.?
> The pam utility shows it to be all ok, but the boot up
> screen and entering fasttrack setup shows that it is setup
> as U5 which is only a transfer of 100mb/sec.. How would i
> get it to 150mb/sec.
> The drives are 150mb/sec transfer so would it run at
> 150mb/sec as default and these reading that i'm getting
> just be wrong .? It all works ok, I just like to know what
> i set up is ok,,, what with these different readings.
> Many thanks for your help.
> Phill
> (running xp pro msi K7N2 Delta -ILRS barton 2500 cpu
> overclocked to 3200. 1024mb critical ram and 256
> graphics.)
Related resources
April 24, 2004 1:29:44 AM

You need to put your Raid Controller drivers on a floppy disk and at the
first part of XP install you must hit the F6 key. XP will pick up the
drivers from the floppy.
If you are going to use the Raid Function you have to setup the Raid array
when the computer boots up.

XP installation will see the array of 2 disks as 1 drive. You can partition
the array with XP during installation.
With a large Raid Array you should create 2 or more partitons for better
performance. I use the third partition for storage of Drivers, Music etc.

"Guy" <glindsey@conwaycorp.net> wrote in message
>I also have 2 160 gig Maxtor SATA HDs. How did you get
> windows xp to recognize them. I am installing XP on a new
> computer with these drives. I cannot find a driver that
> XP will recognize during set-up.

April 24, 2004 1:29:45 AM

Have done that, except I must not have the right drivers for the raid controller. when windows asks for the driver, any disk I have made does not work. I get a message "cannot find the file txtsetup.oem". Then it quits. I have tried Maxtor and Gigabyte (my MB ) and none work. Am anxious for suggestions.

----- Ron wrote: -----

You need to put your Raid Controller drivers on a floppy disk and at the
first part of XP install you must hit the F6 key. XP will pick up the
drivers from the floppy.
If you are going to use the Raid Function you have to setup the Raid array
when the computer boots up.

XP installation will see the array of 2 disks as 1 drive. You can partition
the array with XP during installation.
With a large Raid Array you should create 2 or more partitons for better
performance. I use the third partition for storage of Drivers, Music etc.

"Guy" <glindsey@conwaycorp.net> wrote in message
>I also have 2 160 gig Maxtor SATA HDs. How did you get
> windows xp to recognize them. I am installing XP on a new
> computer with these drives. I cannot find a driver that
> XP will recognize during set-up.

April 24, 2004 10:26:59 AM

Make sure the file you are copying to the floppy is not in a .zip form.

"Guy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have done that, except I must not have the right drivers for the raid
> controller. when windows asks for the driver, any disk I have made does
> not work. I get a message "cannot find the file txtsetup.oem". Then it
> quits. I have tried Maxtor and Gigabyte (my MB ) and none work. Am anxious
> for suggestions.
>
> ----- Ron wrote: -----
>
> You need to put your Raid Controller drivers on a floppy disk and at
> the
> first part of XP install you must hit the F6 key. XP will pick up the
> drivers from the floppy.
> If you are going to use the Raid Function you have to setup the Raid
> array
> when the computer boots up.
>
> XP installation will see the array of 2 disks as 1 drive. You can
> partition
> the array with XP during installation.
> With a large Raid Array you should create 2 or more partitons for
> better
> performance. I use the third partition for storage of Drivers, Music
> etc.
>
> "Guy" <glindsey@conwaycorp.net> wrote in message
> >I also have 2 160 gig Maxtor SATA HDs. How did you get
> > windows xp to recognize them. I am installing XP on a new
> > computer with these drives. I cannot find a driver that
> > XP will recognize during set-up.

April 24, 2004 2:23:35 PM

Assuming Gigabyte on board raid, download sata controler drivers, to floppy,
from their site

!