Hard drive capacity is not recognized by XP

April 24, 2004 1:19:15 AM

I just installed a 160GB hard drive, but XP only sees
128GB. I installed it as a NTFS in the Disk Management
section. Any ideas how I can get the full capacity to
register?
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 3:10:34 AM

Anonymous
April 24, 2004 10:52:30 AM

after the service pack or what? Still shows only 128.
Thanks
April 24, 2004 1:39:12 PM

Repartition the drive and reformat or get Partition Magic
and expand the current partition.

> [...]
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 1:39:13 PM

Okay so I am an idiot, I installed Office SP1. Anyway
having trouble getting into the XP SP1a the
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ appears to be down
(all I get is blank screen). Got any direct links for the
SP1 or SP1a?
Thanks

April 24, 2004 2:47:17 PM

In article <3a1301c429b3$4dcc0e80$a101280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I just installed a 160GB hard drive, but XP only sees
> 128GB. I installed it as a NTFS in the Disk Management
> section. Any ideas how I can get the full capacity to
> register?

Check out the following thread. There is some further information.

Subject: Support for 160 GB drives
From: "John Williams" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:14:57 -0700

--
Howie
"The very belief that violence is unavoidable

In article <3b5b01c42a0d$42c38db0$a501280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Got any direct links for the
> SP1 or SP1a?

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servic...
t.asp (note the wrap)
or
http://tinyurl.com/171p

The express install will take you to windows update.
The network install allows you to download the whole 134 MB file.

--
Howie
"The very belief that violence is unavoidable
is a root cause of violence."
Samdhong Rinpoche
1st Democratically Elected Chairman of the
Tibetan Cabinet-in-Exile
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 9:18:26 PM

There is information about this problem in the FAQ's. Look
there.

!