Hard drive capacity is not recognized by XP

I just installed a 160GB hard drive, but XP only sees
128GB. I installed it as a NTFS in the Disk Management
section. Any ideas how I can get the full capacity to
register?
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drive capacity recognized

    after the service pack or what? Still shows only 128.
    Thanks

    Repartition the drive and reformat or get Partition Magic
    and expand the current partition.

> [...]

    Okay so I am an idiot, I installed Office SP1. Anyway
    having trouble getting into the XP SP1a the
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ appears to be down
    (all I get is blank screen). Got any direct links for the
    SP1 or SP1a?
    Thanks

    In article <3a1301c429b3$4dcc0e80$a101280a@phx.gbl>,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I just installed a 160GB hard drive, but XP only sees
    > 128GB. I installed it as a NTFS in the Disk Management
    > section. Any ideas how I can get the full capacity to
    > register?

    Check out the following thread. There is some further information.

    Subject: Support for 160 GB drives
    From: "John Williams" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:14:57 -0700

    --
    Howie
    "The very belief that violence is unavoidable

    In article <3b5b01c42a0d$42c38db0$a501280a@phx.gbl>,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Got any direct links for the
    > SP1 or SP1a?

    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/defaul
    t.asp (note the wrap)
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/171p

    The express install will take you to windows update.
    The network install allows you to download the whole 134 MB file.

    --
    Howie
    "The very belief that violence is unavoidable
    is a root cause of violence."
    Samdhong Rinpoche
    1st Democratically Elected Chairman of the
    Tibetan Cabinet-in-Exile

    There is information about this problem in the FAQ's. Look
    there.

Hard Drives Windows XP