P4PE + S-ATA + Promise

I got a new SATA HDD and when installing it, I first didn't realize, that I
need floppy for drivers. So I tried setting up RAID with only 1 drive. It
did accept that, but I still needed to do the floppy thing for drivers (btw.
how to install SATA drivers without floppy drive...?) .

OK. Now I have working system (XP), but every time I boot up, the machine
stops for a little while showing up the RAID configuration utility and then
continues. It is not very many seconds, but still...

So it is really needed to set up RAID or can I remove it and still use SATA
HDD? I'm planning for complete re-install anyway, so I don't care if
everything get lost when removing RAID.

TIA

--

Jouko

On the net since 1997

***
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
***

"Jouko®" <no_spam@dlc.fi> wrote in

> So it is really needed to set up RAID or can I remove it and still use
> SATA HDD? I'm planning for complete re-install anyway, so I don't care
> if everything get lost when removing RAID.

I think you have set it up correctly already. From what I have seen, the
use of the SATA interface on current mobos with SATA/PATA is really using
the raid controller, and what you have just done is set up a single drive
raid. AFAIK that is the correct way to use it.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

You need to install drivers whether yr using raid or not.
Its normal for there to be a slight pause a the raid config utility, its so
that you can access it.