1024x768 LCD Screen won't change to 800x600 or 640x480

Hi Experts! (and any Inspiron-1100 user who can help)
1....When I change the resolution on my new Dell Inspiron-1100 notebook
from 1024x768 to 800x600, the resolution will not change, but the screen
area gets cropped all around the 4 edges. Therefore less information is
displayed, but still at the same size. The same thing happens with 640x480.
OS is Windows XP Home.
2...I don't have an external floppy drive, but I have a CD-RW/DVD combo.
How do I make a CD from which I can boot up in MS-Dos mode? And how do I
use it to boot up safely?
Thanks very much in advance

peter

http://www.bootdisk.com/
peter

ChristopherP wrote:
> Hi Experts! (and any Inspiron-1100 user who can help)
> 1....When I change the resolution on my new Dell Inspiron-1100
> notebook from 1024x768 to 800x600, the resolution will not change,
> but the screen area gets cropped all around the 4 edges. Therefore
> less information is displayed, but still at the same size. The same
> thing happens with 640x480. OS is Windows XP Home.
> 2...I don't have an external floppy drive, but I have a CD-RW/DVD
> combo. How do I make a CD from which I can boot up in MS-Dos mode?
> And how do I use it to boot up safely?
> Thanks very much in advance

Your LCD is doing what it is designed to do. LCD are legible at the
native resolution, which means that when using a lower resolution, the
screen is sized to fit the pixels. There is a setting for screen
expansion somewhere in the advanced properties of the screen properties,
but you will not be pleased with the results.

Thank you! I searched for the Panel Expansion facility in the Advanced properties both in "Appearance" and "Settings" but could not find it. Do you know how to get to this? Also, I went out and tested several Compaq, HP and Toshiba laptops and all of them will answer to resolution changes just like a desktop with CRT screen (640x480 is smudgy, but 800x600 is reasonable). In all cases, the visible area expands to fill the entire 15" panel. There is no cropping of the edges to make a wide blank border all around the visible area, and also the information displayed increases in size, as expected. Since you are obviously very knowledgeable on computers and LCD panels, what do you make of this? Thanks again for your time and advice.