P2B & Windows XP

I have a P2B board upgraded to a P3, 1.1GHZ processor and am still using
Windows 98SE and MS Office97, Sound Card is SB Creative Live Value, Video
Card is Matrox Millennium G450.

I am considering upgrading to Windows XP and MS OfficeXP.

Are there any known problems or other issues which I should be aware of ?

Are there any problem with the USB port on the board after an upgrade?

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

--
Harold Muller
Remove "xxx" for email address

BigJim

running xp pro on a p2b with an ati card and sb 32 isa card and it runs fine
512 meg of ram

"H.Muller" schrieb:

> I have a P2B board upgraded to a P3, 1.1GHZ processor and am still using
> Windows 98SE and MS Office97, Sound Card is SB Creative Live Value, Video
> Card is Matrox Millennium G450.
>
> I am considering upgrading to Windows XP and MS OfficeXP.
>
> Are there any known problems or other issues which I should be aware of ?

Except that you should be using the latest BIOS - i.e. 1014 beta 3 -
which is probably already the case given the CPU, not really. BTW, WinXP
is usually hard drive bound, so you might use the opportunity to slap in
a Promise U100TX2 (update its BIOS first and get current drivers) with a
current hard drive (the Samsungs are nice).

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Tim

Hi,

Well, I have Windows 2003 server running on my P2B-DS rev 1.05 quite fine.
I am not using USB, but do have heaps of SCSI.

I would suggest an item by item driver check to make sure you have the
drivers at hand and also running the upgrade check from the CD.

- Tim

"H.Muller" <mullerh@xxxsprintxxx.ca> wrote in message
> I have a P2B board upgraded to a P3, 1.1GHZ processor and am still using
> Windows 98SE and MS Office97, Sound Card is SB Creative Live Value, Video
> Card is Matrox Millennium G450.
>
> I am considering upgrading to Windows XP and MS OfficeXP.
>
> Are there any known problems or other issues which I should be aware of ?
>
> Are there any problem with the USB port on the board after an upgrade?
>
> Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.
>
> --
> Harold Muller
> Remove "xxx" for email address

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 21:13:58 -0400, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Maybe so, but XP works better than W2K on P2B boards for me. USB was
>flaky and it kept loosing my 3COM NIC. One day it lost the NIC and the
>usual tricks wouldn't make it come back - so I gave up, installed XP,
>and haven't looked back. XP isn't so bad if you turn off the eye candy.

Well, I won't argue with your success. :)

I just find that for most people they get absolutely no additional
features from XP while at the same time it takes more HD and RAM,
runs slower (using the butt dyno), phones home too often, and is
littered with MS "improvements" that are really no improvement at
all (web based help and a lame search engine ... now there's an
idea we didn't need), etc.

Perhaps if you need the VPN stuff or have a specific problem then
it's worth it.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback and in-sight into Windows XP

It was really just some small new features of MS OfficeXP that I was after
on my home computer, since I us MS OfficeXP on my computer at work.

Maybe I should just install MSOfficeXP over Windows98SE or that just dumb?

--

Bob wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 21:13:58 -0400, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>Maybe so, but XP works better than W2K on P2B boards for me. USB was
>>flaky and it kept loosing my 3COM NIC. One day it lost the NIC and the
>>usual tricks wouldn't make it come back - so I gave up, installed XP,
>>and haven't looked back. XP isn't so bad if you turn off the eye candy.
>

> Well, I won't argue with your success. :)
>
> I just find that for most people they get absolutely no additional
> features from XP while at the same time it takes more HD and RAM,
> runs slower (using the butt dyno), phones home too often, and is
> littered with MS "improvements" that are really no improvement at
> all (web based help and a lame search engine ... now there's an
> idea we didn't need), etc.
>
> Perhaps if you need the VPN stuff or have a specific problem then
> it's worth it.

Fair enough - I was really commenting on my experience with W2K vs. XP
specifically on P2B hardware, as opposed to the day-to-day user experience.

Those results are from my "P2B Lab", where I'm more interested in how
the OS interacts with the hardware - I still run NT4 SP6 on my main
system because it works for me, and I have lots of old software I know
will give me grief if I upgrade. I almost took the plunge to get support
for my USB Digicam, but then Dell was nice enough to post USB drivers
for NT4 on their FTP site, problem solved :)

P2B

I was running a P2B-S for years on a PII/450MHz; I just rebuilt my
machine on an AMD Athlon 2.08GHz and new A7N8X-E. I still won't try
XP, seen too much weirdness of it on work machines.

As far as upgrades, it never fails to amaze me that some will do it
just for the "latest and greatest." A person at work brought his Sony
PC to me. He couldn't get the video to come up, he said. I checked it
and not only the video, it appeared the motherboard was fried. Turns
out he took out all the peripheral cards and used a *vacuum cleaner*
to get the dust out. (for the truly uninitiated, you don't EVER want
to do this - the vaccum generates a huge static field at the nozzle).
So I have him buy a new board and I install it, get everything set and
configured on Win2K Pro which he had. What's the first thing he does
when I give him back the machine? Goes out and gets XP, comes to me
the next day, now his NIC and modem don't work...plus he's introduced
viruses into the system loading software from who knows where. Some
people are better off bathing with a toaster....

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 21:13:58 -0400, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Maybe so, but XP works better than W2K on P2B boards for me. USB was
>flaky and it kept loosing my 3COM NIC. One day it lost the NIC and the
>usual tricks wouldn't make it come back - so I gave up, installed XP,
>and haven't looked back. XP isn't so bad if you turn off the eye candy.
>
>P2B

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 06:26:02 -0700, Rivergoat <goat@goathead.com>
wrote:

>As far as upgrades, it never fails to amaze me that some will do it
>just for the "latest and greatest."

I hear you loud an clear. MS knows how we feel too - that's why they
cut support for older OS's and products to force upgrades. That's
why they force hardware vendors to only sell the latest versions.
THey want to force customers to upgrade because the features
themselves don't really sell the new products. I think it holds true
for a lot of their software. For example, MS-Office. There is really
nothing in Office 2003, or Xp, or 2000 that was not in Office 97, or
even 95. The only thing they've done is to make it "easier" to share
documents between programs and people. Note the quotes around
"easier". They've done it at the expense or an incredibly convoluted
solution that not only takes twice the footprint but results in
*problems* sharing content between applications half the time. As they
automate more, the obfuscate more. And, when they tell is "XP has
new drivers", they are really just saying "we didn't write a new
driver for win2K because we want you to buy XP instead".

Why have they done this ? Because (example) there's really not much
they can do with MS-Word that has not already been done in terms of
word processing. True, they could make it a much better layout program
and solve some of the bugs, but there's no upper market and bugs are
hard to fix. So instead they sell everyone on how great and wonderful
the new product is. If you go look at the actual side-by-side from MS,
you'll see that there's little new content in the latest release
except sharing features for large corporate environments (few of whom
use that stuff anyway)... and that side by side is from MS.

But, I rant :). If you have a need for some XP features, or if you
want to be consistent with your other systems, or you just want to use
the latest software because it make you more comfortable, go for it.
You should use whatever floats your boat.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How are you running a 1.1Ghz cpu on a P2B? Are you running that Tualatin,
Powerleap adapter setup? With the old Asus slotket, I thought MB is limited
to 1Ghz? Thanks ahead.

Michael schrieb:

> How are you running a 1.1Ghz cpu on a P2B?

The 1100 MHz Coppermine PIII does exist, in FC-PGA at least.

Stephan
--

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:44:40 -0400, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Maybe it's the dual P2Bs W2K doesn't like. I also have a P2B-S which
>dual boots W2K Pro and W98se (for the kid's games). It seems to behave
>itself, so I haven't bothered switching it to XP only - but W2K gave me
>significant grief on a couple of P2B-DS boards before I gave up.

Might be. I have win2K on my P2B's right now without any glitches
whatsoever. I've run it on them since win2K cam out without an
problem. But, my bus is at 100mhz and the fastest thing I have
running is a cel-366 running at 550 (with a stock fan, and never
a glitch). As soon as the slot-t/1.4g's arrive I'll let you know
if it is still stable. I will probably still be at 100mhz though.