Beep Codes on P4P800 Deluxe???

Hi all,

I sent an email to Asus, but they haven't replied as yet (surprise, surprise
<g>).

At Post time, I keep getting 2 beeps, but no voice msg. Anyone know what it
means?

I have heard that it is an indication of bad RAM, but I want to make sure b4
I contact my supplier.

Thanks for any help.

Ted
4 answers Last reply
More about beep codes p4p800 deluxe

    In article <wuqcc.47002$z%1.45282@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, "Ted Brewer"
    <theob2@nospam.wi.rr.com> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I sent an email to Asus, but they haven't replied as yet (surprise, surprise
    > <g>).
    >
    > At Post time, I keep getting 2 beeps, but no voice msg. Anyone know what it
    > means?
    >
    > I have heard that it is an indication of bad RAM, but I want to make sure b4
    > I contact my supplier.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Ted

    Some beep codes are here, but it is hard to say whether you are
    hearing the normal single beep at startup, plus another beep,
    or the code you've got is two short beeps.

    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

    Try hooking up an amplified speaker or a headset to the lime
    Line_Out audio jack on the back of the computer. Even if the
    onboard sound is disabled or another sound card is plugged
    in, the Voice POST reporter output is still wired to that
    connector (it is hard wired and cannot be moved). Listen
    for a code and compare to the table in the manual, as the
    sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

    Are you using registered ram ? I think your board only uses
    unbuffered ram.

    Also, since the Voice POST is independent of other components
    on the motherboard, you could remove the RAM and see if the
    Voice POST gives a different response than it does now. The
    Voice POST doesn't need the processor to be active or present
    for it to work. It needs at least some +5V and a momentary
    reset signal to trigger it, AFAIK.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Beepcodes on P4P800 also indicates number of USB-devices connected to
    computer. You should not hear them, but.....
    Problem seems to be fixed after recent (newest, <1014) BIOS-flash.

    Bo.

    "Ted Brewer" <theob2@nospam.wi.rr.com> schreef in bericht
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I sent an email to Asus, but they haven't replied as yet (surprise,
    surprise
    > <g>).
    >
    > At Post time, I keep getting 2 beeps, but no voice msg. Anyone know what
    it
    > means?
    >
    > I have heard that it is an indication of bad RAM, but I want to make sure
    b4
    > I contact my supplier.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Ted

    It's the usb devices being detected... Mine started doing it right after
    installing Bios 1016. The way I determined it was to unplug all usb devices
    and then boot. Each tome I added a usb I got a new beep fot that device. I'm
    at 3 now <VBG>... Later, JD

    "Bouwe Zijlstra" <bouwe.ns@planet.nl> wrote in message
    > Beepcodes on P4P800 also indicates number of USB-devices connected to
    > computer. You should not hear them, but.....
    > Problem seems to be fixed after recent (newest, <1014) BIOS-flash.
    >
    > Bo.
    >

    > "Ted Brewer" <theob2@nospam.wi.rr.com> schreef in bericht
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I sent an email to Asus, but they haven't replied as yet (surprise,
    > surprise
    > > <g>).
    > >
    > > At Post time, I keep getting 2 beeps, but no voice msg. Anyone know
    what
    > it
    > > means?
    > >
    > > I have heard that it is an indication of bad RAM, but I want to make
    sure
    > b4
    > > I contact my supplier.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > >
    > > Ted

    It's the usb devices being detected... Mine started doing it right after
    installing Bios 1016. The way I determined it was to unplug all usb devices
    and then boot. Each tome I added a usb I got a new beep for that device. I'm
    at 3 now <VBG>... Later, JD

    "Bouwe Zijlstra" <bouwe.ns@planet.nl> wrote in message
    > Beepcodes on P4P800 also indicates number of USB-devices connected to
    > computer. You should not hear them, but.....
    > Problem seems to be fixed after recent (newest, <1014) BIOS-flash.
    >
    > Bo.
    >

    > "Ted Brewer" <theob2@nospam.wi.rr.com> schreef in bericht
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I sent an email to Asus, but they haven't replied as yet (surprise,
    > surprise
    > > <g>).
    > >
    > > At Post time, I keep getting 2 beeps, but no voice msg. Anyone know
    what
    > it
    > > means?
    > >
    > > I have heard that it is an indication of bad RAM, but I want to make
    sure
    > b4
    > > I contact my supplier.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.