Chassis Intrusion

On my A7V266-E, I believe I experienced that chassis intrusion detection
thing. I do not know how it gets triggered, but I remember reading some
posts here a long time ago. I was recabling (trying to tame the
octopus), and the next thing I knew, the machine would not power-on.
Dead. I could not get it to start. The manual says "a chassis
intrusion event is kept in memory on battery power for more
protection". So, I removed the battery, shorted the jumpers, hoping
this would clear the memory that the "event" was recorded in. Still no
power-on. Pulled out the plug, did the battery thing, chanted to the
Asus gods of chassis intrusion, whatever. Still no good.

The manual also showed a 4-pin lead, and it said "When not using the
lead, place a jumper cap over the pins to close the circuit". I already
had a jumper over the pins.

So, what I vaguely remembered in the posts long ago was that it had
something to do with the little spacer thing-ies that you screw into the
case wall, that you then screw the MB into. So, I removed all the
cables and cards so I could remove the screws attaching the MB to the
thing-ies. Reattached, and got power again.

Can anybody tell me what happened here? What IS chassis intrusion, and
what is the ASUS ASIC, which is supposed to be what is needed to trigger
this? Is that what I experienced? And what is an easy way out of it?

TIA,
Ken

For when the case is opened by anyone.
It's a switch that is depressed while case is closed and when the case is
opened the switch pops and completes the circuit.
If your case does not have a case switch then disable it.
Not all cases have the contacts.
There are pins on my MB for it but all the cases I use do not have the
switch.

Noomie wrote:

>For when the case is opened by anyone.
>It's a switch that is depressed while case is closed and when the case is
>opened the switch pops and completes the circuit.
>If your case does not have a case switch then disable it.
>Not all cases have the contacts.
>There are pins on my MB for it but all the cases I use do not have the
>switch.
>
>"KPR" <kpruppel@optonline.net> wrote in message
>

>>On my A7V266-E, I believe I experienced that chassis intrusion detection
>>thing. I do not know how it gets triggered, but I remember reading some
>>posts here a long time ago. I was recabling (trying to tame the
>>octopus), and the next thing I knew, the machine would not power-on.
>>Dead. I could not get it to start. The manual says "a chassis
>>intrusion event is kept in memory on battery power for more
>>protection". So, I removed the battery, shorted the jumpers, hoping
>>this would clear the memory that the "event" was recorded in. Still no
>>power-on. Pulled out the plug, did the battery thing, chanted to the
>>Asus gods of chassis intrusion, whatever. Still no good.
>>
>>The manual also showed a 4-pin lead, and it said "When not using the
>>lead, place a jumper cap over the pins to close the circuit". I already
>>had a jumper over the pins.
>>
>>So, what I vaguely remembered in the posts long ago was that it had
>>something to do with the little spacer thing-ies that you screw into the
>>case wall, that you then screw the MB into. So, I removed all the
>>cables and cards so I could remove the screws attaching the MB to the
>>thing-ies. Reattached, and got power again.
>>
>>Can anybody tell me what happened here? What IS chassis intrusion, and
>>what is the ASUS ASIC, which is supposed to be what is needed to trigger
>>this? Is that what I experienced? And what is an easy way out of it?
>>
>>TIA,
>>Ken

But dude, that's what I'm saying. My case can't have any kind of switch
because I have opened the case many times before without completely
losing power-on. And, as I said, there is a jumper on the pins. So I
don't know how I caused this. I would just love to know what NOT to do
because setting it off is a pain.

Ken

"KPR" <kpruppel@optonline.net> wrote in message
> On my A7V266-E, I believe I experienced that chassis intrusion detection
> thing. I do not know how it gets triggered, but I remember reading some
> posts here a long time ago. I was recabling (trying to tame the
> octopus), and the next thing I knew, the machine would not power-on.
> Dead. I could not get it to start. The manual says "a chassis
> intrusion event is kept in memory on battery power for more
> protection". So, I removed the battery, shorted the jumpers, hoping
> this would clear the memory that the "event" was recorded in. Still no
> power-on. Pulled out the plug, did the battery thing, chanted to the
> Asus gods of chassis intrusion, whatever. Still no good.
>
> The manual also showed a 4-pin lead, and it said "When not using the
> lead, place a jumper cap over the pins to close the circuit". I already
> had a jumper over the pins.
>
> So, what I vaguely remembered in the posts long ago was that it had
> something to do with the little spacer thing-ies that you screw into the
> case wall, that you then screw the MB into. So, I removed all the
> cables and cards so I could remove the screws attaching the MB to the
> thing-ies. Reattached, and got power again.
>
> Can anybody tell me what happened here? What IS chassis intrusion, and
> what is the ASUS ASIC, which is supposed to be what is needed to trigger
> this? Is that what I experienced? And what is an easy way out of it?
>
> TIA,
> Ken

It sounds to me like one of the cables wasnt making a good connection and
when you took it all apart and reassembled it then it started working ;)

Your problem is not, and has nothing to do with, Chassis intrusion.

Chassis intrusion is a feature that records an alarm when the case is
opened. It requires a case with a switche that senses that the case is
open. It's only used in relatively high-security installations, to warn
the user (or the IS or security departments) that someone has been
inside the case.

In any event, it does NOT prevent the machine from starting up.

You have a dead system. There are a hundred possible causes, but none
of them involve chassis intrusion.

Barry Watzman wrote:

> Your problem is not, and has nothing to do with, Chassis intrusion.
>
> Chassis intrusion is a feature that records an alarm when the case is
> opened. It requires a case with a switche that senses that the case
> is open. It's only used in relatively high-security installations, to
> warn the user (or the IS or security departments) that someone has
> been inside the case.
>
> In any event, it does NOT prevent the machine from starting up.
>
> You have a dead system. There are a hundred possible causes, but none
> of them involve chassis intrusion.
>

> KPR wrote:
>
>> On my A7V266-E, I believe I experienced that chassis intrusion
>> detection thing. I do not know how it gets triggered, but I remember
>> reading some posts here a long time ago. I was recabling (trying to
>> tame the octopus), and the next thing I knew, the machine would not
>> power-on. Dead. I could not get it to start. The manual says "a
>> chassis intrusion event is kept in memory on battery power for more
>> protection". So, I removed the battery, shorted the jumpers, hoping
>> this would clear the memory that the "event" was recorded in. Still
>> no power-on. Pulled out the plug, did the battery thing, chanted to
>> the Asus gods of chassis intrusion, whatever. Still no good.
>>
>> The manual also showed a 4-pin lead, and it said "When not using the
>> lead, place a jumper cap over the pins to close the circuit". I
>> already had a jumper over the pins.
>>
>> So, what I vaguely remembered in the posts long ago was that it had
>> something to do with the little spacer thing-ies that you screw into
>> the case wall, that you then screw the MB into. So, I removed all
>> the cables and cards so I could remove the screws attaching the MB to
>> the thing-ies. Reattached, and got power again.
>>
>> Can anybody tell me what happened here? What IS chassis intrusion,
>> and what is the ASUS ASIC, which is supposed to be what is needed to
>> trigger this? Is that what I experienced? And what is an easy way
>> out of it?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Ken

I merely reiterate. Detached the sound card. Detached the Linksys
card. Detached all but the primary HDD. Detached the CD and DVD
drives. Hit power switch. No fans, no power.

As per a post I remember reading here years ago (how convenient it isn't
here anymore), I unscrewed the MB from the risers that hold it to the
side of the case, completely removing contact. Reattached it to same
risers. Hit switch. Power on.

I am not insisting that it was chassis intrusion. I am saying that
chassis intrustion makes no sense. I said that I remembered reading
this IN a chassis intrusion thread, where the user had the same problem
that I had. In this thread, he had been advised to remove contact from
the risers, which is what I tried, which in fact did seem to remedy the
mystery.

I am asking if anyone remembers the thread, or knows, why this seeming
non-sensical event happened. I know the difference between a power unit
that will not power up for no seeming reason and an obvious good reason.

Why must so many posts here devolve to the point where it is assumed
that the poster of the problem is a total idiot? I usually only post
here if it is something that I could not find any information on
anywhere else. I do not come here unless I have exhausted any resource
I can think of, usually with things that seem impossible.

Sorry your a bit pissed off.. But

"So, what I vaguely remembered in the posts long ago was that it had
something to do with the little spacer thing-ies that you screw into the
case wall, that you then screw the MB into. So, I removed all the
cables and cards so I could remove the screws attaching the MB to the
thing-ies. Reattached, and got power again.
"

It sounds to me like you had a bad connection and it wasnt obvious. When you
removed everything and put it all back you fixed the problem.

Not being a smartass or treating you like a dumbass. Just saying that the
problem was probably verry simple and you missed it this time (as we all do
from time to time).