Network Connections

I running Windows XP on a Single machine with a A7N8X-E deluxe board and in
my system tray I have a red X through a Local Area Connection 3 Icon that
tells me a network cable is unplugged.
This is my Marvell Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-T Adapter Copper RJ-45.
Since my DSL internet connection is not even plugged into the Marvell, how
do I get rid of this? It just keeps coming back each time I remove it.
Thanks
PS

Are you trying to get rid of the icon in the system tray?

If so, right-click Network on the desktop, then Properties. Right-click the
connection you don't want displayed, then Properties. Uncheck the Show Icon
box.

HTH...

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"JonnyCab®" <shutout39@localnetnospam.com> wrote in message
> Are you trying to get rid of the icon in the system tray?
>
> If so, right-click Network on the desktop, then Properties. Right-click
> the
> connection you don't want displayed, then Properties. Uncheck the Show
> Icon
> box.
>
> HTH...

If it's not plugged in then the icon with the red cross will stay even if
you do that. Best thing is to either use a hacksaw on the board to remove it
physically (not recommended ;-) ), or just go in to device manager and
*disable* the device. When/if you want to use it again just re-enable it.

"Phil" <why@would.you.want.to.email.me> wrote in message

> "JonnyCab®" <shutout39@localnetnospam.com> wrote in message
> > Are you trying to get rid of the icon in the system tray?
> >
> > If so, right-click Network on the desktop, then Properties. Right-click
> > the
> > connection you don't want displayed, then Properties. Uncheck the Show
> > Icon
> > box.
> >
> > HTH...
> >

> If it's not plugged in then the icon with the red cross will stay even if
> you do that. Best thing is to either use a hacksaw on the board to remove
it
> physically (not recommended ;-) ), or just go in to device manager and
> *disable* the device. When/if you want to use it again just re-enable it.

Or, you can just right-click the icon and select 'disable' from the context
menu there.

Ian

> If it's not plugged in then the icon with the red cross will stay even if
> you do that.

You're right. Weird. I never noticed that before.

> Best thing is to either use a hacksaw on the board to remove it
> physically (not recommended ;-) ), or just go in to device manager and
> *disable* the device. When/if you want to use it again just re-enable it.

If you can hear high frequencies, disabling an unplugged/unused network
connection causes a faint, very high-pitched whine, and not through the
sound card. At least it does on my A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 (not -E). I'm happier
with the red cross in the system tray.

Try it, but I'd like to know if anyone else notices this.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"Ian James"
<lastname+firstinitial+c@nospamDOT-DOT-DOT.btinternotDOT-DOT-DOT.con> wrote
in message news:c4uet0$fso$1@hercules.btinternet.com...

> "Phil" <why@would.you.want.to.email.me> wrote in message
>>
>> "JonnyCab®" <shutout39@localnetnospam.com> wrote in message
>> > Are you trying to get rid of the icon in the system tray?
>> >
>> > If so, right-click Network on the desktop, then Properties.
>> > Right-click
>> > the
>> > connection you don't want displayed, then Properties. Uncheck the Show
>> > Icon
>> > box.
>> >
>> > HTH...
>> >

>> If it's not plugged in then the icon with the red cross will stay even if
>> you do that. Best thing is to either use a hacksaw on the board to remove
> it
>> physically (not recommended ;-) ), or just go in to device manager and
>> *disable* the device. When/if you want to use it again just re-enable it.
>

> Or, you can just right-click the icon and select 'disable' from the
> context
> menu there.
>
> Ian

Had to forget the obvious didn't I.....

> "Ian James"
> <lastname+firstinitial+c@nospamDOT-DOT-DOT.btinternotDOT-DOT-DOT.con>
wrote
> in message news:c4uet0$fso$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> >
> > "Phil" <why@would.you.want.to.email.me> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "JonnyCab®" <shutout39@localnetnospam.com> wrote in message

Show

> >> If it's not plugged in then the icon with the red cross will stay even
if
> >> you do that. Best thing is to either use a hacksaw on the board to
remove
> > it
> >> physically (not recommended ;-) ), or just go in to device manager and
> >> *disable* the device. When/if you want to use it again just re-enable
it.

> > Or, you can just right-click the icon and select 'disable' from the
> > context
> > menu there.
> >
> > Ian
> >

> Had to forget the obvious didn't I.....