Problems with display

I hope this is the right group. If it's not, I'd appreciate someone
directing me to the right one.

I'm running XP Home Edition and I keep having a recurring problem with
the display not drawing properly. Sometimes there are "streaks" across
the screen, other times the screen goes almost black except for a few
patches of the screen which look screwed up. Just display problems in
general (it's ok for the time being.) I got an error message that said
something like "Driver AG315-64 cannot complete draw update." I tried
reinstalling the video driver, but I got a message that said "software
could not be installed" or the like. It's really screwing me up. Now
it's getting to the point that reinstalling the OS doesn't work any
more. Help!
5 answers Last reply
More about problems display

    On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:42:17 GMT, funggel frugolity
    <fungal@trappist.com> wrote:

    >I hope this is the right group. If it's not, I'd appreciate someone
    >directing me to the right one.

    Oh, the mb is a P4P800-VM

    funggel frugolity <fungal@trappist.com> astounded us with:

    > On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:42:17 GMT, funggel frugolity
    > <fungal@trappist.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I hope this is the right group. If it's not, I'd appreciate someone
    >>directing me to the right one.
    >>
    > Oh, the mb is a P4P800-VM

    Hang on, don't tell me anymore, it might help me with your problem....
    Try alt.comp.hardware.clairvoyance...
    /sarcasm
    You'll need to provide a LOT more info if you want help.
    What kind of display
    What kind of problem
    What Operating System
    What kind of video card.
    The more information, the better.

    --
    Gene P

    Sorry, I'm a newb obviously.

    >> Oh, the mb is a P4P800-VM
    >>

    >Hang on, don't tell me anymore, it might help me with your problem....
    >Try alt.comp.hardware.clairvoyance...
    >/sarcasm
    >You'll need to provide a LOT more info if you want help.
    >What kind of display
    VGA Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (is that what you need to know?)

    >What kind of problem
    I keep having a recurring problem with
    the display not drawing properly. Sometimes there are "streaks" across
    the screen, other times the screen goes almost black except for a few
    patches of the screen which look screwed up. Just display problems in
    general (it's ok for the time being.) I got an error message that said
    something like "Driver AG315-64 cannot complete draw update."

    >What Operating System
    Windows XP Home Edition

    >What kind of video card.
    AG315

    >The more information, the better.
    Hope that helps.

    In article <58g5709vqmb0ucti7p8i2t7g6qgk37itto@4ax.com>, funggel frugolity
    <fungal@trappist.com> wrote:

    > Sorry, I'm a newb obviously.
    >
    > >> Oh, the mb is a P4P800-VM
    > >>

    > >Hang on, don't tell me anymore, it might help me with your problem....
    > >Try alt.comp.hardware.clairvoyance...
    > >/sarcasm
    > >You'll need to provide a LOT more info if you want help.
    > >What kind of display
    > VGA Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (is that what you need to know?)
    >
    > >What kind of problem
    > I keep having a recurring problem with
    > the display not drawing properly. Sometimes there are "streaks" across
    > the screen, other times the screen goes almost black except for a few
    > patches of the screen which look screwed up. Just display problems in
    > general (it's ok for the time being.) I got an error message that said
    > something like "Driver AG315-64 cannot complete draw update."
    >
    > >What Operating System
    > Windows XP Home Edition
    >
    > >What kind of video card.
    > AG315
    >

    > >The more information, the better.
    > Hope that helps.

    So, this is your graphics board ?
    http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/ecs-ag315t/index.html
    http://www.fryssupport.net/frys/AG315.cfm

    Your problems could be:

    1) Bad video memory chips on the video card. (Is there a tweaker
    for the video card, and have you been pushing the video memory
    faster than its rating ?)
    2) AGP interface on the card cannot really handle AGP 4x rate.
    Maybe reducing the rate to AGP 2x in the BIOS will help.
    3) Video driver from SIS needs an upgrade ?

    I found this note while searching on Altavista:

    "AG315 4X mode issue on VIA chipset main board (01/11/2002)

    Taipei -- Jan 11, 2002

    According to SiS FAQ document, Ref. No.: 315-FAQ-003, Date:
    December 3, 2001, SiS315 has compatibility issue with some VIA
    chipset main boards and it would cause AGP access fail in
    4X mode. But it works fine in 2X mode. SiS declares that it is
    timing issue rather than functional issue and it could be solve
    in chipset side rather than VGA side. Please check the SiS¹s file
    315-FAQ-003 for detail. Since we are both VGA card maker and
    main board manufacturer, we can guarantee that AG315 is able
    to support 4X mode on all our VIA chipset main boards base on
    the verification of our RD. However, we cannot ensure that
    other NON-ECS/PCCHIPS VIA chipset main boards are also fully
    compatible with AG315."

    Based on that note, go into the BIOS and reduce the AGP setting.

    (I just checked the datasheet for the 865G Northbridge, and
    it only supports AGP 1X, 4X, 8X. So, you would have to drop
    all the way to AGP 1X operation, and since there is no setting
    in the BIOS, you may need a copy of Powerstrip from entechtaiwan.com
    to try to change the AGP setting.

    http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm )

    Considering the price of that shareware, maybe purchasing an
    Nvidia FX5200 would be a better deal.

    If you are looking for an upgraded driver, try here. Looks
    like the same 10MB download for the SIS315/315e:

    http://download.sis.com/index_step1.php

    HTH,
    Paul

    Which motherboard, which video card, and which driver are you using? It
    would help to know.

    --
    DaveW

    "funggel frugolity" <fungal@trappist.com> wrote in message
    > I hope this is the right group. If it's not, I'd appreciate someone
    > directing me to the right one.
    >
    > I'm running XP Home Edition and I keep having a recurring problem with
    > the display not drawing properly. Sometimes there are "streaks" across
    > the screen, other times the screen goes almost black except for a few
    > patches of the screen which look screwed up. Just display problems in
    > general (it's ok for the time being.) I got an error message that said
    > something like "Driver AG315-64 cannot complete draw update." I tried
    > reinstalling the video driver, but I got a message that said "software
    > could not be installed" or the like. It's really screwing me up. Now
    > it's getting to the point that reinstalling the OS doesn't work any
    > more. Help!

Asus Error Message Windows XP Motherboards Displays