can't install A7V600-X

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

OK, I bit off more than I could chew.

I got excited by SATA drives, so I order one (yes one) to install with an
A7V600-X. After some problems, I realized I had ignored the RAID statement
on Newegg's site. I was able to boot to DVD (with Win2K disk in) but I
couldn't recognize hard disk. I was able to get to RAID bios, but I only had
one drive, so I couldn't do anything. So I took out the SATA drive and put
in an IDE drive. Then I get nothing. My problem is that, after resetting
BIOS to default, my drives won't do squat. I think I can feel my hard drive
spin up, but DVD light won't even come on. BIOS just hangs at splash screen.
What to do?

System right now.
Antec SmartPower SL400 400W PS
A7V600-X (All jumpers on default)
Athlon XP 3000+ (400 MHz)
2 sticks 512MB Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 DDR
Radeon 7000 32MB AGP
Samsung ATA 80GB disk on primary IDE master
LiteOn 411S DVD-RW on secondary IDE master

Thanks in advance for help

Paul

In article <Juzcc.11878$NL4.5616@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Paul"
<none@none.com> wrote:

> OK, I bit off more than I could chew.
>
> I got excited by SATA drives, so I order one (yes one) to install with an
> A7V600-X. After some problems, I realized I had ignored the RAID statement
> on Newegg's site. I was able to boot to DVD (with Win2K disk in) but I
> couldn't recognize hard disk. I was able to get to RAID bios, but I only had
> one drive, so I couldn't do anything. So I took out the SATA drive and put
> in an IDE drive. Then I get nothing. My problem is that, after resetting
> BIOS to default, my drives won't do squat. I think I can feel my hard drive
> spin up, but DVD light won't even come on. BIOS just hangs at splash screen.
> What to do?
>
> System right now.
> Antec SmartPower SL400 400W PS
> A7V600-X (All jumpers on default)
> Athlon XP 3000+ (400 MHz)
> 2 sticks 512MB Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 DDR
> Radeon 7000 32MB AGP
> Samsung ATA 80GB disk on primary IDE master
> LiteOn 411S DVD-RW on secondary IDE master
>
> Thanks in advance for help
>
> Paul

The ie1541 file is a one page insert for the manual. It covers operating
the RAID feature.

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt600/a7v600-x/ie1541_a7v600-x_insert.pdf
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt600/a7v600-x/e1451_a7v600-x.pdf

I wonder whether it has something to do with the
"Onboard ATA Device First" setting ? Since there is
no separate RAID chip on the board, this setting doesn't
make much sense. Try changing the value and see if
anything good happens.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

Since I only had one SATA drive, the RAID bios was disabled.

But I have fixed the problem. For some reason, switching the cables (DVD to
HD & vice versa) fixed the problem. I'm installing Win2K right now.

Thanks again.