p4p800 deluxe boot

Hi,

The p4p800 will not boot from my scsi-cd-rom, I get:

A bootable cd-rom is detected in your cd-rom drive
The boot selections on your bootable cd-rom are:
0.Default entry
* => "Plug and Play" peripheral -- SCSI id auto assigned

On all previous motherboards, I would have gotten the "Press
any key to boot from CD" (this is the Windows XP CD), but
in stead it
- hangs with a black screen if the CD is the "first harddrive"
under BOOT in the BIOS
- boots from the harddrive if the CD is NOT the "first harddrive".
I can't see any relevant options in the BIOS, but I have changed
various options at random to no avail.

I think that perhaps the SCSI adapter (a 2930CU) is detected
somewhat earlier with this board than it used to be with earlier
boards. Not sure what the significance (if any) is???

I have the newest BIOS, but it was the same with the original one.

Any idea?

Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

I had a similar mild aggravation with my P4C800-E Deluxe. My SCSI CD-ROM
wouldn't boot to a bootable CD--until I changed the Capture Interrupt 19
setting in the BIOS Boot pull-down to "Enabled." Now it boots to a CD
just fine.

Good luck,

Herb

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:18:02 +0200, Herb <hecrites@SPAMFREE.gruenewald.de>
wrote:
>I had a similar mild aggravation with my P4C800-E Deluxe. My SCSI CD-ROM
>wouldn't boot to a bootable CD--until I changed the Capture Interrupt 19
>setting in the BIOS Boot pull-down to "Enabled." Now it boots to a CD
>just fine.

John! Did this help you?

I have the same problem and changing the setting i BIOS DOESN'T help me;
unfortunately.

Herb! Which SCSI-controller do you use? (I use Adaptec 2940-UW). And do you
think the problem is SCSI-controller-related or is it the P4P800?

Bob

Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

I use the Adaptec AHA-2940UW and an externally-connected Plextor
PlexWriter 40/12/40S CD-RW.

This is Adaptec's definition of what Interrupt 19 does:

<<INTERRUPT 19
This is the software interrupt that handles the boot function. The boot
code is typically handled by the motherboard BIOS, but can optionally be
handled by the host adapter BIOS with some Adaptec host adapters.>>

As I interpret this, enabling "Interrupt 19 Capture" allows other ROMs
(read BIOS's) to instruct what device will boot up the computer. The
Adaptec SCSI card's BIOS is thus enabled to boot the computer with a
device under its control, in addition to the motherboard.
Conversely, disabling this setting causes the motherboard exclusively to
determine which devices will boot the CPU. Since DISabled is the default
setting, and what it does isn't very clearly described by the motherboard
BIOS, I imagine it's a common problem for those of us with bootable SCSI
devices.

Good luck,

Herb

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 16:53:04 +0200, Bob Baltzer wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:18:02 +0200, Herb <hecrites@SPAMFREE.gruenewald.de>
> wrote:
>>I had a similar mild aggravation with my P4C800-E Deluxe. My SCSI CD-ROM
>>wouldn't boot to a bootable CD--until I changed the Capture Interrupt 19
>>setting in the BIOS Boot pull-down to "Enabled." Now it boots to a CD
>>just fine.
>
> John! Did this help you?
>
> I have the same problem and changing the setting i BIOS DOESN'T help me;
> unfortunately.
>
> Herb! Which SCSI-controller do you use? (I use Adaptec 2940-UW). And do you
> think the problem is SCSI-controller-related or is it the P4P800?
>
> Bob

Hi,

I had actually tried the "Capture Interrupt 19", but not paid much attention
to what it did (as it didn't solve my problem). I have now tried it again,
and here is what it does (I think):
- When enabled, allows the SCSI CD drive to boot,
even if it is NOT the first harddrive (on the BOOT menu),
and probably even if there is a floppy in A: (this is how it
worked with previous boards)..
- When disabled, the SCSI CD drive only boots if it IS
the first harddrive, and booting from harddrive is enabled,
and there is no other drive (e.g. floppy) ahead.
However, my machine won't boot from the drive at all,
although it knows there is a bootable CD in there (see the
original post).
My problem is probably identical to Bob's.
I have a 2930U with an UltraPlex40max as the only SCSI device.

Thanks for your reply, Herb!

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 20:40:27 +0200, Herb <hecrites@SPAMFREE.gruenewald.de>
wrote:
>I use the Adaptec AHA-2940UW and an externally-connected Plextor
>PlexWriter 40/12/40S CD-RW.

Well - that's very close to my configuration. I use BIOS version 2.57.2 on
my Adaptec - now I can't see that version on their website!

>As I interpret this, enabling "Interrupt 19 Capture" allows other ROMs
>(read BIOS's) to instruct what device will boot up the computer.

I agree! And that's why I don't understand why MY pc won't boot from the
cd. I seems like the "connection" between the mobo and the SCSI-adapter is
broken.

Having read dozens of webpages, postings etc. I think that the only
solution is to buy a new (IDE) drive :-(

Bob

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:13:28 +0100, "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com>
wrote:
>The p4p800 will not boot from my scsi-cd-rom, I get:

Perhaps one of us should post the problem in one of the SCSI-newsgroups? Or
perhaps you have already done that?

Bob

Bob,

When you try to boot, does it know there is a bootable CD in your drive (see
my original post for the messages I get) ?

I haven't looked at the SCSI groups yet, at the moment the problem is only
mildly irritating to me, as I also have an IDE drive. The reason I like the
SCSI drive so much is that it sits right next to my screen, and it is only
for booting (when re-installing Windows) that it doesn't work.

J.

"Bob Baltzer" <bob@nospam.dk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:13:28 +0100, "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> >The p4p800 will not boot from my scsi-cd-rom, I get:
>
> Perhaps one of us should post the problem in one of the SCSI-newsgroups?
Or
> perhaps you have already done that?
>
> Bob

>When you try to boot, does it know there is a bootable CD in your drive (see
>my original post for the messages I get) ?

I get exactly the same messages! (that's why I think we have the same
problem). After the messages I get a blank screen with a cursor in the
upper left corner.

This means that:
- cd-rom drive is detected (by mobo)
- bootable cd-rom is detected (by mobo)

so why is is impossible to make the cd-rom boot?

>I haven't looked at the SCSI groups yet, at the moment the problem is only
>mildly irritating to me, as I also have an IDE drive. The reason I like the
>SCSI drive so much is that it sits right next to my screen, and it is only
>for booting (when re-installing Windows) that it doesn't work.

He-he - same here! Although I don't have an IDE drive :-( I have several
rescue floppies......... that I would like to put on a bootable cd-rom!

Bob

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:08:38 +0200, Bob Baltzer <bob@nospam.dk> wrote:

>>When you try to boot, does it know there is a bootable CD in your drive (see
>>my original post for the messages I get) ?
>
>I get exactly the same messages! (that's why I think we have the same
>problem). After the messages I get a blank screen with a cursor in the
>upper left corner.
>
>This means that:
>- cd-rom drive is detected (by mobo)
>- bootable cd-rom is detected (by mobo)
>
>so why is is impossible to make the cd-rom boot?
>
>>I haven't looked at the SCSI groups yet, at the moment the problem is only
>>mildly irritating to me, as I also have an IDE drive. The reason I like the
>>SCSI drive so much is that it sits right next to my screen, and it is only
>>for booting (when re-installing Windows) that it doesn't work.
>
>He-he - same here! Although I don't have an IDE drive :-( I have several
>rescue floppies......... that I would like to put on a bootable cd-rom!
>
>Bob

Have you tried "F6INSTALL" boot floppy install option ?!? You still
need to load the 3rd party device driver when loading O/S...Check the
support site for the SCSI CDR/DVD device for the "F6INSTALL" creation
utility, failing that, a win98SE bootfloppy with a 16 bit driver will
also suffice...

ñíñjà¤têç
---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 04:54:51 GMT, ñíñjà¤têç <bs@aol.com> wrote:
>Have you tried "F6INSTALL" boot floppy install option ?!? You still
>need to load the 3rd party device driver when loading O/S...Check the
>support site for the SCSI CDR/DVD device for the "F6INSTALL" creation
>utility, failing that, a win98SE bootfloppy with a 16 bit driver will
>also suffice...

I have not tried the F6INSTALL. It shouldn't be necessare since I've tried
to boot from a Win2k and Win XP boot cd-rom which both contains a
SCSI-driver (I used 'em on my old mobo).

I think I need to change one or more setting in the mobo-BIOS.

Bob