HSB1 Hawking Signal Booster

Has anyone tried the new Hawking Technologies wireless HSB1 Signal Booster?
It looks promising but would like to know before I buy.
Thanks
Jim
8 answers Last reply
More about hsb1 hawking signal booster

    What are you trying to accomplish?

    Bill Crocker

    "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone tried the new Hawking Technologies wireless HSB1 Signal
    > Booster?
    > It looks promising but would like to know before I buy.
    > Thanks
    > Jim

    Trying to reach the second floor from the basement with a little stronger
    signal.
    "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > What are you trying to accomplish?
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone tried the new Hawking Technologies wireless HSB1 Signal
    >> Booster?
    >> It looks promising but would like to know before I buy.
    >> Thanks
    >> Jim

    It should help, but you may be able to do it for less money, with a
    high-gain, directional antenna.

    Something like this:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316518&pfp=BROWSE

    Of course you would point it up, and toward your client, in your situation.

    Simple enough to try. It's not software, so you should be able to return
    either, if it doesn't meet your needs.

    > Trying to reach the second floor from the basement with a little stronger
    > signal.
    > "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> What are you trying to accomplish?
    >>
    >> Bill Crocker
    >>

    >> "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    >>> Has anyone tried the new Hawking Technologies wireless HSB1 Signal
    >>> Booster?
    >>> It looks promising but would like to know before I buy.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Jim

    I already have one, a Hawking 6dbi directional.

    > It should help, but you may be able to do it for less money, with a
    > high-gain, directional antenna.
    >
    > Something like this:
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316518&pfp=BROWSE
    >
    > Of course you would point it up, and toward your client, in your
    > situation.
    >
    > Simple enough to try. It's not software, so you should be able to return
    > either, if it doesn't meet your needs.
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    >> Trying to reach the second floor from the basement with a little stronger
    >> signal.
    >> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> What are you trying to accomplish?
    >>>
    >>> Bill Crocker
    >>>

    >>> "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message

    "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone tried the new Hawking Technologies wireless HSB1 Signal
    > Booster?
    > It looks promising but would like to know before I buy.
    > Thanks
    > Jim

    Have you considered a repeater such as the D-Link DWL-700AP ? I use one as
    a repeater and it works fine or I believe the 900AP gives 11g

    Tony I would do that but from what I understand it will not transmit at
    108Mbps, the repeater will drop it down to 54Mbps. I do get 108 on all the
    computers but the furthest one.
    "Tony" <ttiger@lineone.net> wrote in message

    > "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone tried the new Hawking Technologies wireless HSB1 Signal
    >> Booster?
    >> It looks promising but would like to know before I buy.
    >> Thanks
    >> Jim
    >>
    > Have you considered a repeater such as the D-Link DWL-700AP ? I use one
    > as a repeater and it works fine or I believe the 900AP gives 11g

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Hello Jim:

    I finally got my hands on a HSB1 and was able
    to compare it to the Renasis BA24j booster I
    was using previously. Both work fine with a
    D-Link DI-624 and a DWL-G650 in Static SuperG
    (108 Mbps) mode.

    During informal testing I conducted at about
    50 meters (about 150 feet) indoors the HSB1
    boosted the signal from the factory DI-624
    antenna about 9 dB. At this distance the
    signal rate increased from about 48 Mbps
    (without the HSB1) to from 72 Mbps to
    96 Mbps (with the HSB1).

    NOTE: I would advise caution if you plan
    to attach an antenna with more than about
    6 dBi of gain to the HSB1 when it is set
    to 500 mW mode. (The microwave radiation
    levels can become significant if you use
    a high-gain antenna with a booster like
    this).

    --
    My104Mbps
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Rather than extend my Apple Airport Extreme Base Station's wireless
    network with another Apple Airport Extreme or Express Station I elected
    to buy the Hawking HSB2 Signal Booster instead. This may, in fact, not
    be an FCC approved setup according to Hawking Tech Support.

    My HSB2 is, in fact, an HSB1. It even is labeled as such. The model
    number was changed to HSB2 I think because the "HSB2" is FCC approved
    and compliant.

    http://tinyurl.com/bk4xv

    In order to connect the Hawking HSB2 Signal Booster to my Apple Airport
    Extreme Base Station I bought the MCX to SMA Hawking Jumper Cable (with
    Key) Model HACSA. Other jumper cables may not work if they lack the Key
    part necessary to signal the Airport Extreme Base Station to enable and
    see its external antenna jack.

    http://tinyurl.com/9rp8t

    Rather than use the antenna supplied with the Hawking HSB2 signal
    booster I connected a Linksys Omnidirectional 7dbi High Gain Antenna
    with SMA connector, Model HGA7S.

    http://tinyurl.com/dcfqx

    My wireless network's signal strength is improved. Interfernece is
    decreased.

    When set at 500mW the Airport Network activity can cause some
    interference with our 2.4gHz telephone if I am close to the base
    station trying to use the phone.

    I want my network to be safe for our family and read the previous note
    regarding "microwave radiation levels" when using this booster and a
    high-gain antenna.

    Can you provide any specifics and make any recommendations to me
    regarding my set up?

    Thanks.

    --
    schwab

Wireless Networking Microsoft Wireless Networking