A7N8X-E Deluxe Boot Failure and memory problems

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I've had my A7N8X-E Deluxe for about a month or so and recently it
started failing boot warning me that system boot failed due to CPU
overclocking. I've never messed with overclocking and stick to pretty
much default settings exept for the AGP aperture 128 MB instead of 64
and AGP instead of PCI graphics.

This failure started suddenly without me making any kind of changes
but I went and reset the bios by removing the battery and setting the
jumper etc. I boot up and everything looks Ok, I get into Windows XP
and then the system crashes. I power off and back on and get the old
system failed due to CPU overclocking. I don't even use the agressive
settings so this looks like bullshit.

Prior to this I noted the system was a little unstable in that running
sete@home command line version would result in a spontaneous reboot
after a while. So I ran memtest and it reported memory errors. I
tried several different sticks of DDR but got memory errors with all
of them.

I'm thinking this board is defective. Any thoughts on this matter?

Paul

Splendid

In article <oar670ta8i1f6r9m141cvm8b9gvd79ucnq@4ax.com>, Don
<ikiru@nowhere.org> wrote:

> I've had my A7N8X-E Deluxe for about a month or so and recently it
> started failing boot warning me that system boot failed due to CPU
> overclocking. I've never messed with overclocking and stick to pretty
> much default settings exept for the AGP aperture 128 MB instead of 64
> and AGP instead of PCI graphics.
>
> This failure started suddenly without me making any kind of changes
> but I went and reset the bios by removing the battery and setting the
> jumper etc. I boot up and everything looks Ok, I get into Windows XP
> and then the system crashes. I power off and back on and get the old
> system failed due to CPU overclocking. I don't even use the agressive
> settings so this looks like bullshit.
>
> Prior to this I noted the system was a little unstable in that running
> sete@home command line version would result in a spontaneous reboot
> after a while. So I ran memtest and it reported memory errors. I
> tried several different sticks of DDR but got memory errors with all
> of them.
>
> I'm thinking this board is defective. Any thoughts on this matter?

Is the memory clock the same speed as the FSB ? The memory should
be set to 100% or sync etc.

HTH,
Paul

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I started getting the exact same problems as you stated this weekend.
Everything was working great, in-fact well over a year and then wham
windows froze. When I mean froze, no BSOD, but complete freeze of the
screen and mouse. I have to reset or turn off the computer. Now when
I reboot I get an error of your CPU has been over clocked and I have
to enter the Bios to reset everything. When I restart windows, it
will run for about 5 minutes and then freeze up and the process starts
over again. Have you been able to the narrow the problem down? I
have ruled out my memory and video card due to the fact that I placed
these components in my sons computer and they ran flawlessly for hours
on end. If you find anything our please let me know. I have had
nothing overclocked, all stock speeds. Thank you for your time. My
system specs are as follows:
2500 Athlon XP
A7N8X deluxe
120GB Maxtor
768MB RAM
On board sound
ATI 9800 non pro

Rob

Do you have BIOS 1010 ?
I flashed my BIOS with that version and had the same problem.

After a number of attempts, the keyboard no longer was
available.

And then after several more attempts, the PCU went dead.
Had to replace both.