Sound test errors

Hi there, i am currently unable to complete the windows
xp sound test wizard, i get the message ..."direct play
voice setup error code 0x80004005"... clicking ok then
brings up another dialog box stating "cannot execute
Dpvsetup.exe ".
I have reinstalled the onboard sound drivers, its working
fine in all programs until i try to run the wizard, or
use a program like Gamevoice. also reinstalled DirectX 9.
Microphone records sound fine using windows sounds
recorder so i have no idea what to try next :(

any help would be appreciated
thanks
Willy
3 answers Last reply
More about sound test errors

    I have had the same problem with the sound test but I
    only get the "direct play voice setup error code
    0x80004005"..I click ok and the sound test exits with no
    other messages. You can try something that is posted on
    Microsoft website but it didn't help me.
    us;810686&Product=swp

    I did when the website said to do in the registry but I
    still get the error code and I can't find anywhere else
    that would give me the answer to why it is doing it.

    Frenchie, I am having the same exact problem that you and willy are having, I
    was just wondering if either one of you got any answers? Any help would be
    appreciated.
    Thanks,
    shykitty

    "Frenchie" wrote:

    > I have had the same problem with the sound test but I
    > only get the "direct play voice setup error code
    > 0x80004005"..I click ok and the sound test exits with no
    > other messages. You can try something that is posted on
    > Microsoft website but it didn't help me.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
    > us;810686&Product=swp
    >
    > I did when the website said to do in the registry but I
    > still get the error code and I can't find anywhere else
    > that would give me the answer to why it is doing it.

    Hope this helps...

    Hi,

    I've searched high and low from microsoft to mcafee's
    suggestions...the problem lies in the registry (in my case). I was
    getting this same error. Also, my event sounds like windows startup,
    email, etc sounds were not working either. As it turns out, I had a
    similar PC at work and export these two keys to register the MIDI and
    default Windows files in order for it to work again. It worked like a
    charm. I also had an issue with the windows recorder not
    working...again...this import fixed it.

    NOTE: My work PC is a win2k Pro and my home PC is a WinXP Home
    Edition. Importing the keys below using the win2k registry export
    should not cause problems but you should always backup your registry.
    Also, some rules to know:

    1. If the source file (SF) has keys that exist in the destination
    registry (DR), the destination registry will be overwritten with the
    new value.
    2. If the SF does not have a key that is listed in the DR, the DR
    entries will be retained (i.e. not deleted).
    3. If the SF has keys that do NOT exist in the DR, it will be added to
    the DR.

    Here are the 2 keys:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]

    and

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc]

    "shykitty" <shykitty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<3EA8C8A7-6F66-4B19-8585-A3218C0B0811@microsoft.com>...
    > Frenchie, I am having the same exact problem that you and willy are having, I
    > was just wondering if either one of you got any answers? Any help would be
    > appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > shykitty
    >
    > "Frenchie" wrote:
    >
    > > I have had the same problem with the sound test but I
    > > only get the "direct play voice setup error code
    > > 0x80004005"..I click ok and the sound test exits with no
    > > other messages. You can try something that is posted on
    > > Microsoft website but it didn't help me.
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
    > > us;810686&Product=swp
    > >
    > > I did when the website said to do in the registry but I
    > > still get the error code and I can't find anywhere else
    > > that would give me the answer to why it is doing it.

Windows XP