Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Anybody know of a better way to get through to Asus. They want you to
go to helpdesk.asus.com to start things off but I can't get through to
that site. And I've tried at many different times of the day and
night. What lousy support. Any advice on getting help from them?

Paul

Splendid

In article <kka870hf9c4ek4o5jg98mea5g48458ipn2@4ax.com>, Don
<ikiru@nowhere.org> wrote:

> Anybody know of a better way to get through to Asus. They want you to
> go to helpdesk.asus.com to start things off but I can't get through to
> that site. And I've tried at many different times of the day and
> night. What lousy support. Any advice on getting help from them?

Works for me, on the first try:

http://Helpdesk.asus.com/logon.asp?URL=/Default.asp

But, if I do some lookups...

DNS(Helpdesk.asus.com) --> 67.104.19.110
DNS(67.104.19.110) --> 67.104.19.110.ptr.us.xo.net

My attempts to use the IP address to access the site fail. So
http://67.104.19.110/logon.asp?URL=/Default.asp or
http://67.104.19.110.ptr.us.xo.net/logon.asp?URL=/Default.asp

don't work. Maybe if the platform your browser is on, is doing
reverse lookup to verify the node it is connecting to,
that is failing ?

Paul

"Don" <ikiru@nowhere.org> wrote in message

> Anybody know of a better way to get through to Asus. They want you to
> go to helpdesk.asus.com to start things off but I can't get through to
> that site. And I've tried at many different times of the day and
> night. What lousy support. Any advice on getting help from them?

I've been back and forth with them since I got my P4C800 Deluxe board.
3 different issues and they have the same answer for all 3 problems!
First off the drivers disk that came with my board is just a garbled mess!
I have 3 computers in my house and out of the 5 CD/CD-rw/DVD players
none can read the disk! Answer.. Format reinstall windows and drivers! LOL
USB ports not working after a reboot. Answer.. Format reinstall windows and
drivers.
3rd problem seemed to fix its self couldn't get 3com to let me connect but
their answer was..
Answer.. Format reinstall windows and drivers. Anyway they always seem to
answer within
a couple of days or so. Now if I could just figure out my darn USB problem
I'd be happy!

Don wrote:
> Anybody know of a better way to get through to Asus. They want you to
> go to helpdesk.asus.com to start things off but I can't get through to
> that site. And I've tried at many different times of the day and
> night. What lousy support. Any advice on getting help from them?

It seems that it's pretty tricky - most people don;t bother.

Ask any questions here (with full details of system and what you've tried
and any recent changes)

Or seek a refund/replacement from your supplier.

That should cover ~98% of problems.

Ben

Don wrote:

> Anybody know of a better way to get through to Asus. They want you to
> go to helpdesk.asus.com to start things off but I can't get through to
> that site. And I've tried at many different times of the day and
> night. What lousy support. Any advice on getting help from them?

Try this email, I got an rma the next day with it.
USA E-Mail: tsd@asus.com

martin

Don wrote:
> Anybody know of a better way to get through to Asus. They want you to
> go to helpdesk.asus.com to start things off but I can't get through to
> that site. And I've tried at many different times of the day and
> night. What lousy support. Any advice on getting help from them?

They make great mobos, but I think it is universally accepted that getting
after sales support (other than replacements or new BIOS') is pretty much a
no no. You can normally get good quality advice in this newsgroup, but there
is also a good forum at;

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=41

Regards

Martin

---

> It seems that it's pretty tricky - most people don;t bother.
>
> Ask any questions here (with full details of system and what you've tried
> and any recent changes)
>
> Or seek a refund/replacement from your supplier.
>
> That should cover ~98% of problems.
>
> Ben

yea.. It's generally not worth it. If there is a fault then they are
required to give full denial of it. If there isnt a fault then they will
give full denial. And on top of it all nearly every service department out
there now will start off with treating you like your a 5 year old, and after
months of going back and forth they then come to the conclusion that it's
not a normal "user" error and you should send the board back.

I emailed Linksys to tell them of a horrid error in their tech Documents

For a firmware update the webpage says "download this zip file and follow
the supplied instructions"
the zip file contains

something.BIN
update.Txt
update.Doc

the Txt/Doc files are both install instructions
They tell you to Flash the supplied RMT file to your routers bios.
The router ask for a .RS file..

Linksys did reply to me however (god bless them)
They can probably tell me how to fix the problem if I supply them with my
product and serial #

Getting an RMA is MUCH easier than getting quality technical support
advice that might just avoide the need for an unnecessary RMA.