HL2 & keys & stuff

binky

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2004

'My mate' has bought HL2 and set it up on his wifes machine (God only knows
why). He wants to play CS:S from his own machine, his wife doesn't want to
play anything Valve at all. He tells me that during the installation he's
asked for a CD key which he puts in but gets a message saying it is already
registered (which is true but on another PC). He knows that only one CD key
can be running at any time, but would rather play on his own PC rather than
his wifes. Can this be done? This is an attempt to recover from an act of
stupidity rather than trying to have Valve over.

I can't recall the exact course of the installation so can't help him. I
seem to remember reading that it can be done by copying some of the foldes
across from the SteamApps folder or something similar?

How do people re-install after a HDD format or change of OS?

Binky.

"Binky" <binky@binkyworld.net> wrote in message
> 'My mate' has bought HL2 and set it up on his wifes machine (God only knows
> why). He wants to play CS:S from his own machine, his wife doesn't want to
> play anything Valve at all. He tells me that during the installation he's
> asked for a CD key which he puts in but gets a message saying it is already
> registered (which is true but on another PC). He knows that only one CD key
> can be running at any time, but would rather play on his own PC rather than
> his wifes. Can this be done? This is an attempt to recover from an act of
> stupidity rather than trying to have Valve over.
>
> I can't recall the exact course of the installation so can't help him. I seem
> to remember reading that it can be done by copying some of the foldes across
> from the SteamApps folder or something similar?

As long as he installed it using HIS steam account and didn't create a whole new
one under his wife's name then he can copy ...<path to steam>\steamapps\<his
account name>\Counter Strike Source and Half-Life 2 folders to his machine.

If he did create a new steam account then HL2 and CS:S are now registered to
that account and he needs to copy the ...<path to steam>\steamapps\<new account
name>\ folder to his machine and then log into steam using the new account name
and password whenever he wants to play HL2 or CS:S

If he didn't have a steam account on his machine at all and created a new one on
his wife's machine then he needs to install steam on his machine (just the 600kb
steam download from www.steampowered.com, to get the registry values) then copy
the whole steam folder from his wifes machine to his

"I like toys and cake" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> As long as he installed it using HIS steam account and didn't create a whole
> new one under his wife's name then he can copy ...<path to
> steam>\steamapps\<his account name>\Counter Strike Source and Half-Life 2
> folders to his machine.
>
> If he did create a new steam account then HL2 and CS:S are now registered to
> that account and he needs to copy the ...<path to steam>\steamapps\<new
> account name>\ folder to his machine and then log into steam using the new
> account name and password whenever he wants to play HL2 or CS:S
>
> If he didn't have a steam account on his machine at all and created a new one
> on his wife's machine then he needs to install steam on his machine (just the
> 600kb steam download from www.steampowered.com, to get the registry values)
> then copy the whole steam folder from his wifes machine to his

sorry forgot to mention he needs the gcf files from ...<path to
steam>\steamapps\ too

>> As long as he installed it using HIS steam account and didn't
>> create a whole new one under his wife's name then he can copy
>> ...<path to steam>\steamapps\<his account name>\Counter Strike
>> Source and Half-Life 2 folders to his machine.
> sorry forgot to mention he needs the gcf files from ...<path to
> steam>\steamapps\ too

No, you don't have to copy anything over at all... Just download and
install Steam, ensure that Steam is uninstalled from the wife's
computer, log in with your existing account and check the boxes to
keep your games updated. Voila!
--
CingularDuality

binky

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2004

thanks for the suggestions.

He has broadband and the retail (hard) copy. I'll pass on the wisdom, see
how far he gets. I may only tell him the 'download it all again' option in
order to re-inforce his stupidity.