Running XP with two hard drives

I have an old computer that I'm taking parts out of and I
want to install the hard drive into my newer computer,
which is running XP and has a 60gb hard drive. The hard
drive I want to move is 20gb and it's only about 2 years
old. It's a Maxtor and I think it runs at 7200 rpm.
Would this be a tough job to do and can I run the
computer with two hard drives on XP?
thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about running hard drives

    Tough job - no.

    Two hard drives - yes.

    "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an old computer that I'm taking parts out of and I
    > want to install the hard drive into my newer computer,
    > which is running XP and has a 60gb hard drive. The hard
    > drive I want to move is 20gb and it's only about 2 years
    > old. It's a Maxtor and I think it runs at 7200 rpm.
    > Would this be a tough job to do and can I run the
    > computer with two hard drives on XP?
    > thanks

    do you want to elaborate on your comment about two hard
    drives??

    Maybe I misunderstood what you meant. I thought maybe
    you meant it would be difficult to run two hard drives
    with XP. Is that what you were saying or did you mean XP
    could run with two hard drives with no problems?

    He meant, XP could run with two hard drives with no problems?

    XP can run alot more if you have more IDE Controllers to do it.

    Just make sure the drive now in the new computer is set with
    the jumpers as master and be sure to set the old drive as
    slave. Also make sure that you use the correct screws to
    mount the drives and connect the IDE and power cables.

    "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have an old computer that I'm taking parts out of and I
    | want to install the hard drive into my newer computer,
    | which is running XP and has a 60gb hard drive. The hard
    | drive I want to move is 20gb and it's only about 2 years
    | old. It's a Maxtor and I think it runs at 7200 rpm.
    | Would this be a tough job to do and can I run the
    | computer with two hard drives on XP?
    | thanks

    Yeah just make sure to make the 60gb hard drive the
    master and the 20gb one a slave. If you dont know how to
    do that on the back of the unit were you slot in the ide
    cable and power cable is a 2 pin connecter which you need
    to move to position under a master or a slave there
    should be a diagram of the config on the hard drives top
    face then power up your pc and it will work.

    I ran it easily 4 with no problems - till I got some sense in my head.

    "theo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > He meant, XP could run with two hard drives with no problems?
    >
    > XP can run alot more if you have more IDE Controllers to do it.

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP