Made the switch... A7V8X-X to A7N8X... Now my graphics car..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I've now switched from the A7V8X-X that I accidentally purchased to a A7N8X
that I had intended to get. The refurb nvidia board from newegg came *with*
the I/O shield and all the extras. Certainly an unexpected plus from what
I was told to expect.

On the A7V8X-X the PSU fan speed was reporting low.. On the A7N8X, it's not
reporting anything at all for the PSU fan speed, not in the BIOS Hardware
Monitor, and not with Motherboard Monitor.. just straight up zero. But I
guess I'll just let that slide since I don't seem to be alone in this.

So with my new retail 2500+ in this new board, the AMD supplied fan is WAY
quieter than that low end hunk of junk that was stuck on top of my OEM
2600+. Not only was that speeze setup loud, but the chip wasn't even kept
cool.. 56C idle with the case off. 60-62C idle with the case on.

With the new.. new setup, I'm getting 29C case, 42C diode, and 35C socket,
with the case off, as reported by motherboard monitor. I had no idea there
were different socket and diode temperatures. Apparently Motherboard
Monitor with the ini files I downloaded for the A7N8X detects an additional
temperature that isn't reported even in the BIOS hardware monitor?

The system was definitely hotter with the case on.. 5C + hotter at idle I
think.. So should I stick a case fan in this thing?
Now that my processor fan is sufficiently quiet, the loudest annoying thing
is the fan on my V7100 GeForce2 MX 400 graphics card. It must have a
dynamically controlled fan speed because it hits certain speeds where it
creates a fair amount of buzzing..

I was all set to keep this graphics card, but its noisiness might be enough
to make me switch it, or at least look at switching its fan. Funny I never
heard it before. I guess my PSU fan and processor fan were always drowning
it out or at least contributing so that the humming symphony couldn't be
directly attributed to the graphics card.. Any suggestion for quieting down
the graphics card fan buzzing / vibration?

-Ethan

--
To e-mail me, replace "_nospamtoday_" with the "@" symbol when replying to
my address.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

replace it with a nvidia 5600xt or ati 9600 (not the pro or xt) neither of
them have fans. if you want a better card sapphire has some better ati based
cards they put giant heatpipes on or gainward is supposed to be doing the
same with a 5700 soon.

"hupjack" <hupjack_nospamtoday_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've now switched from the A7V8X-X that I accidentally purchased to a
A7N8X
> that I had intended to get. The refurb nvidia board from newegg came
*with*
> the I/O shield and all the extras. Certainly an unexpected plus from
what
> I was told to expect.
>
> On the A7V8X-X the PSU fan speed was reporting low.. On the A7N8X, it's
not
> reporting anything at all for the PSU fan speed, not in the BIOS Hardware
> Monitor, and not with Motherboard Monitor.. just straight up zero. But I
> guess I'll just let that slide since I don't seem to be alone in this.
>
> So with my new retail 2500+ in this new board, the AMD supplied fan is WAY
> quieter than that low end hunk of junk that was stuck on top of my OEM
> 2600+. Not only was that speeze setup loud, but the chip wasn't even kept
> cool.. 56C idle with the case off. 60-62C idle with the case on.
>
> With the new.. new setup, I'm getting 29C case, 42C diode, and 35C socket,
> with the case off, as reported by motherboard monitor. I had no idea
there
> were different socket and diode temperatures. Apparently Motherboard
> Monitor with the ini files I downloaded for the A7N8X detects an
additional
> temperature that isn't reported even in the BIOS hardware monitor?
>
> The system was definitely hotter with the case on.. 5C + hotter at idle I
> think.. So should I stick a case fan in this thing?
> Now that my processor fan is sufficiently quiet, the loudest annoying
thing
> is the fan on my V7100 GeForce2 MX 400 graphics card. It must have a
> dynamically controlled fan speed because it hits certain speeds where it
> creates a fair amount of buzzing..
>
> I was all set to keep this graphics card, but its noisiness might be
enough
> to make me switch it, or at least look at switching its fan. Funny I
never
> heard it before. I guess my PSU fan and processor fan were always
drowning
> it out or at least contributing so that the humming symphony couldn't be
> directly attributed to the graphics card.. Any suggestion for quieting
down
> the graphics card fan buzzing / vibration?
>
> -Ethan
>

> --
> To e-mail me, replace "_nospamtoday_" with the "@" symbol when replying to
> my address.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

it has something to do with the model. the nvidia 5600xt and ati 9600 don't
need fans but a few manufacturers put them on anyway. other models require a
fan but for a couple of those sapphire and now gainward put giant heatpipes
on them.

Wooducoodu wrote:
> it has something to do with the model. the nvidia 5600xt and ati 9600
> don't need fans but a few manufacturers put them on anyway. other
> models require a fan but for a couple of those sapphire and now
> gainward put giant heatpipes on them.
>
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Wooducoodu wrote:
>>> replace it with a nvidia 5600xt or ati 9600 (not the pro or xt)
>>> neither of them have fans.
>>
>> That depends on who manufactured the card. It has nothing to do with
>> the model. Some manufacturers put fans on the 5600XT.
>> --
>> ~misfit~

I put an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer on my 9700 Pro and it's significantly
quieter for only £6, see what they do for your card.

Alan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

So I dripped a couple drops of oil into the graphics card fan and it appears
to have quieted down. I guess I'll call it fixed until I hear the offensive
noise again.

I ran the prime95 torture test for 30 mins on my system.
The temperature results from motherboard monitor
socket: High-52 AVG-50 Low-39
Diode: High-65 AVG-62 Low-45
Case: High-31 AVG-30 Low-30

Are those temps ok or too high?
Prime 95 doesn't get your HD working. I suppose a different test should be
used to gauge it's thermal reaction to heavy load?

-Ethan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:43:57 -0700, "hupjack"
<hupjack_nospamtoday_yahoo.com> wrote:

>So I dripped a couple drops of oil into the graphics card fan and it appears
>to have quieted down. I guess I'll call it fixed until I hear the offensive
>noise again.
>
>I ran the prime95 torture test for 30 mins on my system.

That should be enough to generate the heat, but to check CPU stability
it's optimal to test for at least several hours, and a specific Prime95
test is much more likely to quickly reveal problems. It's the way I
usually start out narrowing down a voltage/speed curve when evaluating
overclockability of CPU.

Prime95
Options | Torture Test | In-place large FFTs

That setting may find problems in 1/10th the time of the others, and for
most problems it'll be apparent within 1-10 minutes, but final
determination still requires hours of running.

>The temperature results from motherboard monitor
>socket: High-52 AVG-50 Low-39
>Diode: High-65 AVG-62 Low-45
>Case: High-31 AVG-30 Low-30
>
>Are those temps ok or too high?

Socket temp can be ignored.

Case temp is actually a chip, which creates it's own heat (case ambient
air temp is actually lower than 30C _IF_ that reading is at least accurate
for the chip temp).

Diode temp is a bit on the high side. You might do a bit of research on
your board to see if it (and the particular bios revision you're running)
is accurate or off by a bit. It's more significant to know that with your
temp being reported at 65C, as that's around the upper limit for
stability... won't damage the cpu but with some variations like a change
in ambient room temp that CPU temp may go even higher. Ideally the temp
would be under 50C, practically up to 60C is usually stable at stock
speed, sometimes even higher but there may be other factors that come into
play with reduced thermal margins, like minor power fluctuations.

>Prime 95 doesn't get your HD working. I suppose a different test should be
>used to gauge it's thermal reaction to heavy load?

Higher heat is a progressive problem for drives, they don't generally just
"crash" and then you'd know to get them cooler... once they've crashed
it's usually the end-of-life for a drive. So, there isn't really a stress
test you can perform to gauge their heat tolerance, rather a simple
touch-test is usually enough, because body temp and sensatively are
roughly coinciding with the temp range of hard drives... if it feels too
hot it probably is.