cd rom drives stopped working

This is the message I received:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.
The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Please help

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/Bill Letner/ said:

> This is the message I received:
>
> Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.
> The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

At Kelly's link, below - under "C" - there is extension info.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Bill Letner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is the message I received:
>
> Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.
> The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>
> Please help

wendy

Hi jason...you have tried to help me before but I am such a newbie...I went to the first URL that you enclosed with your reply but now what do i do? this is what it said
when i right clicked on cdgone this is what I get
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current controlset/control/class{4d3E965-E325-11CE-11CE-BFC1-08002bE1
'upper filter'=-
"lowerfilter"=-
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/currentcontrol set/services/cdr4-2k]
" " " " " " " " /cdra1wk2k
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current controlset/services/cdudf]
[hkey_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current control set/serices/udfreadr]

Then when I right click the editregit icon I get
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_/classes_root/regfile/shell]@=edit
Jason I would really really appreciate it if you could tell me what to do with the above.
thank you wendy

"Jason Tsang" wrote:

> Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
> See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
> Run the provided registry patch
>
> That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
> non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
> references for your cdrom(s))
>

> Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
> website
>

> CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>
> CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
> or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
>

> (It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)
>

> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "Bill Letner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is the message I received:
> >
> > Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.
> > The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
> >
> > Please help

Open this file (taken from his link):
http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

Save it to your desktop, extract the file to your desktop, now double
click it and it should ask you if you want to add it to your registry.
Just click Yes and it should do it. Now reboot and see if that fixed the
problem ;)

Nathan McNulty

wendy wrote:

> Hi jason...you have tried to help me before but I am such a newbie...I went to the first URL that you enclosed with your reply but now what do i do? this is what it said
> when i right clicked on cdgone this is what I get
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current controlset/control/class{4d3E965-E325-11CE-11CE-BFC1-08002bE1
> 'upper filter'=-
> "lowerfilter"=-
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/currentcontrol set/services/cdr4-2k]
> " " " " " " " " /cdra1wk2k
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current controlset/services/cdudf]
> [hkey_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current control set/serices/udfreadr]
>
> Then when I right click the editregit icon I get
> REGEDIT4
> [HKEY_/classes_root/regfile/shell]@=edit
> Jason I would really really appreciate it if you could tell me what to do with the above.
> thank you wendy
>
> "Jason Tsang" wrote:
>

>>Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
>>See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
>>Run the provided registry patch
>>
>>That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
>>non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
>>references for your cdrom(s))
>>

>>Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
>>website
>>

>>CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>>
>>CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
>>or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
>>

>>(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)
>>

>>--
>>Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>>
>>Find out about the MS MVP Program -
>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>>
>>"Bill Letner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>This is the message I received:
>>>
>>>Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.
>>>The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>>>
>>>Please help

wendy

Hi nathan thank you for taking the time to give me a suggestion. I downloaded from the site you gave me and extractre the files to my desktop..so now I have 3 more icons...the one is the zip file, and then there is one with a kind of rubic cube with cdgone under it, and another rubics cube icon that has editreg.
It never aksed me if i wanted to enter this into the registry. When i double click on the icons i got the note book read me stuff. And then when i right click on the icon it gives all the other entries that I previously put in this post....Please I hope you can help me some more.
wendy

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Open this file (taken from his link):
> http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
>
> Save it to your desktop, extract the file to your desktop, now double
> click it and it should ask you if you want to add it to your registry.
> Just click Yes and it should do it. Now reboot and see if that fixed the
> problem ;)
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> wendy wrote:
>
> > Hi jason...you have tried to help me before but I am such a newbie...I went to the first URL that you enclosed with your reply but now what do i do? this is what it said
> > when i right clicked on cdgone this is what I get
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current controlset/control/class{4d3E965-E325-11CE-11CE-BFC1-08002bE1
> > 'upper filter'=-
> > "lowerfilter"=-
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/currentcontrol set/services/cdr4-2k]
> > " " " " " " " " /cdra1wk2k
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current controlset/services/cdudf]
> > [hkey_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current control set/serices/udfreadr]
> >
> > Then when I right click the editregit icon I get
> > REGEDIT4
> > [HKEY_/classes_root/regfile/shell]@=edit
> > Jason I would really really appreciate it if you could tell me what to do with the above.
> > thank you wendy
> >
> > "Jason Tsang" wrote:
> >

> >>Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
> >>See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
> >>Run the provided registry patch
> >>
> >>That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
> >>non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
> >>references for your cdrom(s))
> >>

> >>Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
> >>website
> >>

> >>CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
> >>
> >>CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
> >>or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
> >>

> >>(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)
> >>

> >>--
> >>Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
> >>
> >>Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
> >>
> >>"Bill Letner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

OK, I guess you merged the EditReg first which opens up the file instead
of merging it. Do this:

Right click on the cdgone file (that looks like the rubik's cube) and
select Merge. Click Yes if it asks you a question. Now reboot and see if
that fixed the problem ;)

Nathan McNulty

wendy wrote:

> Hi nathan thank you for taking the time to give me a suggestion. I downloaded from the site you gave me and extractre the files to my desktop..so now I have 3 more icons...the one is the zip file, and then there is one with a kind of rubic cube with cdgone under it, and another rubics cube icon that has editreg.
> It never aksed me if i wanted to enter this into the registry. When i double click on the icons i got the note book read me stuff. And then when i right click on the icon it gives all the other entries that I previously put in this post....Please I hope you can help me some more.
> wendy
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Open this file (taken from his link):
>>http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
>>
>>Save it to your desktop, extract the file to your desktop, now double
>>click it and it should ask you if you want to add it to your registry.
>>Just click Yes and it should do it. Now reboot and see if that fixed the
>>problem ;)
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>wendy wrote:
>>

>>>Hi jason...you have tried to help me before but I am such a newbie...I went to the first URL that you enclosed with your reply but now what do i do? this is what it said
>>>when i right clicked on cdgone this is what I get
>>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current controlset/control/class{4d3E965-E325-11CE-11CE-BFC1-08002bE1
>>>'upper filter'=-
>>>"lowerfilter"=-
>>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/currentcontrol set/services/cdr4-2k]
>>> " " " " " " " " /cdra1wk2k
>>>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current controlset/services/cdudf]
>>>[hkey_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/current control set/serices/udfreadr]
>>>
>>>Then when I right click the editregit icon I get
>>>REGEDIT4
>>>[HKEY_/classes_root/regfile/shell]@=edit
>>>Jason I would really really appreciate it if you could tell me what to do with the above.
>>>thank you wendy

wendy

Yaaaaaaaaaaa Hoooooooo Zachary I now have my cd drive installed...but....wmp9 won't recognize it...I checked in my in all the locations I could and it says that there is a cd-drive...It created it in the D drive. Do you have any suggestions...thank you very much.
wendy