K8V SE Questions

I just purchased this board along with an Athlon 64 3200+ cpu.

I hope to assemble it this weekend, but I had a few questions before I
proceed.

First, I was planning on installing Windows XP Pro. But I also just
downloaded the Beta version of the 64 bit version of XP from
Microsofts site. Has anyone else tried this yet and is it worth my
time?

Second, the board specs say it supports AGP 8x, if I put my older 4x
AGP card in there for the time being, will it run? or do I need an 8x
card?

Third, I do hope to overclock the board, but the only memory I was
able to get my hands on was the Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT--I've read
numerous places to get the Corsair 3200LLPT memory--any thoughts if I
wasted my money or is this memory still good enough to overclock with?

Any thoughts on a good CPU fan/cooler? I'm not ready for water
cooling just yet, but would like something better than the factory
cooler.

And any last thoughts on things i should look out for while assembling
the computer--maybe stupid glitches that others here have encountered.

Its been about 5 years since I last built my own computer (Abit BP6),
so I'm sorry if theses questions seem dumb. I did read through this
messageboard, but didnt find the answers to these questions

Wish me luck and thanks in advance

-Bill
9 answers Last reply
More about questions

    Hey Bill, got the K8V Deluxe myself so I dont know if there will be any major
    differences but I'll tell ya what I ran in to.

    In reguards to XP 64. Honestly unless you love beta testing I'd leave it alone.
    I've played with it on a seperate harddrive and like all other beta and early
    releases it has issues here and there (major problem for me was lack of sound
    drivers for my sound card).

    Check the volatage on your card, if its somewhat modern you should be fine. I'm
    using a Geforce 3 card in mine and its not having any issues.

    If your planning on overclocking with this board you may have made a bad
    investment. This isnt one of the boards that OC'ers go for when trying to OC
    the 64bit Chip. However I'm not an OC'er so I cant say for sure, try posting on

    alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
    for more detailed info on it.

    If your not planning on OC'ing this board the Stock retail fan works just fine
    on mine. I run in an insulated case and my heat isnt anywhere near an issue.
    Again try the overclockers forum/NG for some more indepth advice if you do want
    to try it.

    As for random glitches, I'd need to know more about what hardware your planning
    on running but i"ll give you some brief run downs from what I've seen and delt
    with.

    First and foremost when it comes to set up, the prompt for how to get in to the
    bios will flash by at about warp 9 since its probably going to be set for fast
    boot. Either reset it hit f1 like a mad man when booting, also I found my board
    REALLY does not like dealing with a USB keyboard when trying to deal with the
    BIOS.

    Download the newest drivers from via and asus. The most common complant I hear
    on this NG is the CD that came with the board not working. If your planning on
    running a SATA drive as your system drive this is crucial. Windows XP pre SP1
    does not ship with native support for SATA (I'm not even sure about post SP1,
    if someone can correct me please do) and so you'll have to load drivers off a
    floppy during setup, standard hit F6 when prompted deal.
    Also the via sata controler will not light up the harddrive LED on the case.
    This is a known problem with this board. The normal IDE works as normal and I
    belive the promise controller works on it as well.

    When setting up your drives if you use a SATA for system and IDE for secondary,
    should you get NT loader not found or some such error, dont freak, check the
    bios settings, my board likes to default to use IDE as boot when I make any
    type of drive changes (swapping out drives, etc..)

    As always make sure you have a stable PSU, and download memtest86+. I found my
    board to be a bit picky about the ram and it was though using memtest that I
    was able to figure out it was the memory when I had an issue when building.
    Both the via sata drivers and memtest86+ will require a floppy, I know a lot of
    people that say the floppy is dead, do yourself a favor and make sure one is
    installed on this system, makes life nice and easy in the long run.

    I think I've babbled long enough but hopfuly this should help with anything you
    might run in to.

    Good luck
    Arie

    Hey Sprite

    Be interested in how you got your SATA drive to boot - 'cos I just can't!!!
    Have the K8V, AMD64 3200+, WD 120GB SATA Drive, stock fan, Thermaltake case

    Everything fires up no problem, except I can't install onto the SATA drive,
    even with the drivers on floppy. XP picks up the drivers, and then says no
    drive to install onto!

    Any pointers you have would be great!

    Cheers

    Darren

    "SPRITE1001" <sprite1001@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    the
    > bios settings, my board likes to default to use IDE as boot when I make
    any
    > type of drive changes (swapping out drives, etc..)
    >
    > As always make sure you have a stable PSU, and download memtest86+. I
    found my
    > board to be a bit picky about the ram and it was though using memtest that
    > was able to figure out it was the memory when I had an issue when
    building.
    > Both the via sata drivers and memtest86+ will require a floppy, I know a
    lot of
    > people that say the floppy is dead, do yourself a favor and make sure one
    is
    > installed on this system, makes life nice and easy in the long run.
    >
    > I think I've babbled long enough but hopfuly this should help with

    SATA + XP requires SP1.

    It may be worth the effort to create a slip streamed XP install CD.
    Google for "XP slipstream CD" without the quotes.
    You can (if keen) also load all custom drivers, but that would only be a
    good idea when they are WHQL + Stable.

    - Tim

> [...]
    the
    > bios settings, my board likes to default to use IDE as boot when I make
    any
    > type of drive changes (swapping out drives, etc..)
    >
    > As always make sure you have a stable PSU, and download memtest86+. I
    found my
    > board to be a bit picky about the ram and it was though using memtest that
    > was able to figure out it was the memory when I had an issue when
    building.
    > Both the via sata drivers and memtest86+ will require a floppy, I know a
    lot of
    > people that say the floppy is dead, do yourself a favor and make sure one
    is
    > installed on this system, makes life nice and easy in the long run.
    >
    > I think I've babbled long enough but hopfuly this should help with

    I cant begin to explain how much I appreciate your replies. But they
    also give me new question (doh).

    Not really a question, but I also beta tested Windows XP before it
    came out a few years back and didnt really have any major issues--so
    I'm still up in the air on this. The iso is downloaded and the disc
    is sitting here next to me as I type....I have 2 days to decide :-)
    But just because there were no major issues last time, who's to say I
    wont have any this time--its from Microsft afterall. Atleast it was
    FREE!

    SATA was mentioned--and although I think I have an idea of what this
    is, I really dont. Something to do with a RAID? And why would I want
    to do this over using a standard IDE as my boot drive? I have an
    older IBM 40 GB ATA 100 drive that I will be using for now--can I use
    this with SATA, or would I need 2 drives for this? Sorry if these
    are dumb questions, I'm gonna read up on this myself as soon as I'm
    done here.

    In addition to the RAM/Motherboard and CPU, I also purchased a new PSU
    (Zalman 400w) so I should be ok on that front.

    I have a 30 day return on the RAM, so maybe I'll look into getting the
    3200LL memory from Corsair. The place I bought it sold the 3200LL,
    but only in the Twin packaging and I couldnt afford 1GB of memory at
    this point.
    I'm not a crazy overclocker (anymore) but it just wouldnt be right if
    there were no overclocking going on--I couldnt live with myself. Both
    of my other computers are overclocked and have been running great for
    8 and 5 years respectivly.

    Thanks again

    -Bill

    PS and yes, I'll still be using a floppy--I've been burned too many
    times by CD's that were supposed to be bootable, but wouldn't

    Ok. I'm clear on SATA now. Thanks again.

    <snip>Be interested in how you got your SATA drive to boot - 'cos I just
    can't!!<snip>

    Darren, I use the via controller for my SATA so I just downloaded the lastest
    drivers for it from viaarena.com

    If you use the promise controller I'd assume you could download the driver from
    them. I never trust mobo companys to have the latest driver sets on their site
    so if I can I try and go right to the source.

    Also make sure you have the drive connected to the correct port. The K8V has
    absoulty the worst documentation when it comes to port ID that I've ever, so
    once you download the right drivers just sit with the case open and experiment
    till you figure out which port is which.

    Also make sure you have the bios set to boot off the sata drive. Its ID'd on
    the via controller as a via"random numbers here" drive I belive. I found it
    makes life a bit eaiser if you only have the SATA drive and the CD rom and
    floppy drive connected to the board when loading so you dont have to worry
    about it trying to default to the IDE channel. And if your not using the RAID
    controller at all turn it off in bios, makes boot up time a lot faster.

    If your still having issues try making sure you only have one power source
    plugged in to the drive. SATA drives (in general) have both molax and their own
    power ports (forget the name for the SATA power port). Last I heard you can
    damage your drive if you have both power leads plugged in to the drive. Havent
    personaly seen it happen yet (thank god) but I could see that possibly creating
    issues.

    Since you tried previously with a floppy I'm assuming you know the procedure.
    If you dont, feel free to email me and I'll out line it in depth for ya.

    Let me know how it works out for you
    Arie

    Hi

    Is it better / recommended to use the Via controller for SATA or the Promise
    one??

    Any major differences?

    Richard

    > <snip>Be interested in how you got your SATA drive to boot - 'cos I just
    > can't!!<snip>
    >

    > Darren, I use the via controller for my SATA so I just downloaded the
    lastest
    > drivers for it from viaarena.com
    >
    > If you use the promise controller I'd assume you could download the driver
    from
    > them. I never trust mobo companys to have the latest driver sets on their
    site
    > so if I can I try and go right to the source.
    >
    > Also make sure you have the drive connected to the correct port. The K8V
    has
    > absoulty the worst documentation when it comes to port ID that I've ever,
    so
    > once you download the right drivers just sit with the case open and
    experiment
    > till you figure out which port is which.
    >
    > Also make sure you have the bios set to boot off the sata drive. Its ID'd
    on
    > the via controller as a via"random numbers here" drive I belive. I found
    it
    > makes life a bit eaiser if you only have the SATA drive and the CD rom and
    > floppy drive connected to the board when loading so you dont have to worry
    > about it trying to default to the IDE channel. And if your not using the
    RAID
    > controller at all turn it off in bios, makes boot up time a lot faster.
    >
    > If your still having issues try making sure you only have one power source
    > plugged in to the drive. SATA drives (in general) have both molax and
    their own
    > power ports (forget the name for the SATA power port). Last I heard you
    can
    > damage your drive if you have both power leads plugged in to the drive.
    Havent
    > personaly seen it happen yet (thank god) but I could see that possibly
    creating
    > issues.
    >
    > Since you tried previously with a floppy I'm assuming you know the
    procedure.
    > If you dont, feel free to email me and I'll out line it in depth for ya.
    >
    > Let me know how it works out for you
    > Arie

    I"ve heard some people say the preformance on the Promise is better than on the
    Via, also (if it makes a difference) I've heard tell that the promise
    controller can work with the HD LED on your case where as the via controller
    wont.

    Personaly I use the Via and have, admitiatly, been to lazy to go trying out the
    promise and testing it out.

    Anyone out there with any benchmarks for the Promise vs Via controller?

    ~
    Arie

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:42:50 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Milser"
    <rickmilser@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Is it better / recommended to use the Via controller for SATA or the Promise
    >one??
    >
    >Any major differences?
    >
    >Richard

    I use the Promise sata with no problems. The K8V SE Deluxe on some boards does
    not illuminate the hard-drive led when using the via controller, but it works
    okay with the Promise. (no big deal but that's why I use the Promise
    controller) Readings taken with Sisoft Sandra 2004 give it around the 55Mbit per
    sec transfer rate. That's on a Maxtor 160gig with 8meg cache. I used to get
    around the 37mbit per sec with the same drive on IDE previously so a worthwhile
    increase there.

    Regards

    John

Asus Windows XP Motherboards