USB2 on P4C800-E Deluxe

Hi,

I am having a bit of trouble with the onboard USB2 for this motherboard. I
have a new installation of WinXP Pro plus all the updates (including SP1 and
updated the USB drivers to USB2). I have a DVDRW drive enclosed in a USB2
external case as well as an external USB2 case with a 80gig hard drive.
Both devices start to work (recognised) as soon they are plugged into the
front port on mu PC case. However, approx. half way into burning a disk or
transferring a file, the devices hang. Both devices work ok on another
similarly spec'd computer. So I'm thinking it may be something to do with
the USB2 features on the motherboard. To remedy the situation, I have
fiddled with the USB settings in device manager (the power saving options
turned off for the USB hubs.). However I am still having the same problems.
Anyone any ideas?? BTW there are no conflicts in device manager.

Thanks,

Shane
4 answers Last reply
More about usb2 p4c800 deluxe

    After installing SP1, how did you update the USB Drivers? Hopefully you did
    NOT load any new Driver Software packages. SP1 has the necessary USB2
    drivers built in. If you did download extra USB2.0 drivers and loaded them
    instead, that may explain the problem.

    Just a guess.

    "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having a bit of trouble with the onboard USB2 for this motherboard.
    > have a new installation of WinXP Pro plus all the updates (including SP1
    and
    > updated the USB drivers to USB2). I have a DVDRW drive enclosed in a USB2
    > external case as well as an external USB2 case with a 80gig hard drive.
    > Both devices start to work (recognised) as soon they are plugged into the
    > front port on mu PC case. However, approx. half way into burning a disk
    or
    > transferring a file, the devices hang. Both devices work ok on another
    > similarly spec'd computer. So I'm thinking it may be something to do with
    > the USB2 features on the motherboard. To remedy the situation, I have
    > fiddled with the USB settings in device manager (the power saving options
    > turned off for the USB hubs.). However I am still having the same
    problems.
    > Anyone any ideas?? BTW there are no conflicts in device manager.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Shane

    Thanks for the replies. I re-checked 'device manager' and under 'Universal
    Serial Bus Controllers' re-updated the controllers. There was one entry
    that was missed when I originally installed SP1. This entry was updated to
    an 'USB2 Enhanced Host Controller.' Although I still initially had a couple
    of problems trying to burn a DVD when connected to a front port on the PC, I
    now seem to be able to run the USB2 devices (external burner and hardrive)
    ok. If I have further problems I will check the case front panel
    connections as you have suggested.

    Thanks,
    Shane

    In article <407704f2$0$4544$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
    nospam@hotmail.com says...
    > Thanks for the replies. I re-checked 'device manager' and under 'Universal
    > Serial Bus Controllers' re-updated the controllers. There was one entry
    > that was missed when I originally installed SP1. This entry was updated to
    > an 'USB2 Enhanced Host Controller.' Although I still initially had a couple
    > of problems trying to burn a DVD when connected to a front port on the PC, I
    > now seem to be able to run the USB2 devices (external burner and hardrive)
    > ok. If I have further problems I will check the case front panel
    > connections as you have suggested.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shane
    > "DanO" <danogorchockNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > After installing SP1, how did you update the USB Drivers? Hopefully you
    > did
    > > NOT load any new Driver Software packages. SP1 has the necessary USB2
    > > drivers built in. If you did download extra USB2.0 drivers and loaded
    > them
    > > instead, that may explain the problem.
    > >
    > > Just a guess.
    > >
    > > "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I am having a bit of trouble with the onboard USB2 for this motherboard.
    > > > have a new installation of WinXP Pro plus all the updates (including SP1
    > > and
    > > > updated the USB drivers to USB2). I have a DVDRW drive enclosed in a
    > USB2
    > > > external case as well as an external USB2 case with a 80gig hard drive.
    > > > Both devices start to work (recognised) as soon they are plugged into
    > the
    > > > front port on mu PC case. However, approx. half way into burning a disk
    > > or
    > > > transferring a file, the devices hang. Both devices work ok on another
    > > > similarly spec'd computer. So I'm thinking it may be something to do
    > with
    > > > the USB2 features on the motherboard. To remedy the situation, I have
    > > > fiddled with the USB settings in device manager (the power saving
    > options
    > > > turned off for the USB hubs.). However I am still having the same
    > > problems.
    > > > Anyone any ideas?? BTW there are no conflicts in device manager.
    > > >

    > > > Thanks,

    I initially had some trouble with the same board and a Plextor external
    DVDRW. It was suggested that I use a powered hub because I might be
    making too many power demands upon the onboard USB (I'm running several
    USB devices).

    This worked. It also worked to move the DVDRW to firewire since it has
    that option.

    But the simplest fix I found, was to attach it to a specific usb port
    and then boot and reboot the machine a few times, until Windows was
    "sure" it knew where the drive was and that it had found the hardware
    etc. Since then, I've had no trouble.

    Louise

    Thanks for your response. I finally found the problem in Device Manager.
    Although I thought I'd already ran the USB driver update after installing
    SP1, I re-updated all the USB controllers and found one that had not been
    updated. That was the one that contolled the DVD burner. My USB2 devices
    now work ok from the front panel port. Your advice makes good sense, and
    will be useful if I have further trouble.

    Thanks,
    Shane

Asus Devices Motherboards