Should have UDMA 5, but can only get PIO

I have just purchased a 160Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
drive to use as my new boot drive. On installing Windows
XP, the drive works perfectly, and Device Manager shows the
transfer mode for device 1 on my primary IDE channel (the
Barracuda drive) as Ultra DMA Mode 5. Every time, however,
that I install Service Pack 1 for Windows XP, the transfer
mode switches to PIO, and performance is awful. I have
tried installing Windows and then the Service Pack at least
4 times now, and the same thing happens every time. How do
I re-enable UDMA 5 under Service Pack 1? (Selecting 'Use
DMA if available has no effect - it still stays on PIO)

Thank you very much for your time.

Open the BIOS and check the hard drive transfer rate setting.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Rhythmwiz" <J_Mullins@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message:

|I have just purchased a 160Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7
| drive to use as my new boot drive. On installing Windows
| XP, the drive works perfectly, and Device Manager shows the
| transfer mode for device 1 on my primary IDE channel (the
| Barracuda drive) as Ultra DMA Mode 5. Every time, however,
| that I install Service Pack 1 for Windows XP, the transfer
| mode switches to PIO, and performance is awful. I have
| tried installing Windows and then the Service Pack at least
| 4 times now, and the same thing happens every time. How do
| I re-enable UDMA 5 under Service Pack 1? (Selecting 'Use
| DMA if available has no effect - it still stays on PIO)
|
| Thank you very much for your time.

The BIOS shows the transfer mode to be UDMA 5, as does
Seagate's own UATA Utility. It only changes in Windows
after installing Service Pack 1, but it never changed with
my old hard drive - it always worked on UDMA 5 under SP1.
Drive diagnostics show no hardware problem.

Ultra DMA Mode 6 Devices Are Not Enabled on VIA Motherboards After You Install Windows XP SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327805&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

The BIOS shows the transfer mode to be UDMA 5, as does
Seagate's own UATA Utility. It only changes in Windows
after installing Service Pack 1, but it never changed with
my old hard drive - it always worked on UDMA 5 under SP1.
Drive diagnostics show no hardware problem.

Thanks for that, but I've already looked at it - the hard
drive manufacturer also directed me towards that KB
article. It wasn't relevant, however, as I have an Asus
motherboard. I tried selecting 'Update Driver' anyway,
just in case, but it made no difference - the message came
back that there was no newer driver.

Drew

ASUS utilizes every chipset suitable including VIA, Intel, NVidia etc.
If you got Intel chipset, then install Intel Application Accelerator; if
it's NVidia chipset, then they have the advanced drivers as well. If it
won't solve the problem, just search the MSDN or Internet about
'masterdevicetimingmode'.

Removing HDD controllers using the device manager and rebooting might
help.

Good luck
MP