Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to disble the onboard ethernet and I flashed the latest BIOS but
do not see an option to do so.

The reason I want to do this is that I put in a wireless card but the
system freezes, the video compresses, or the card isn't recognized.

The system works fine without the card and I have heard stories about
conflicting onboard ethernet adaptors.

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply directly.

"Bob" <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in message
> I want to disble the onboard ethernet and I flashed the latest BIOS but
> do not see an option to do so.

In the BIOS, click on Advanced tab, click on "I/O configuration" at the
bottom of Advanced page, on the next page, you will see Onboard Lan -
disable/enable, so choose disable. There is a few lines of Onboard items
there, onboard sound, etc. I disabled all of them because I use a network
card of my own, and a soundblaster live. I never tried the onboard LAN and
don't want to since I am quite happy with my network card, so no point to
change.

> The reason I want to do this is that I put in a wireless card but the
> system freezes, the video compresses, or the card isn't recognized.

I don't know anything about wireless cards, so can't help you there.

> The system works fine without the card and I have heard stories about
> conflicting onboard ethernet adaptors.

you mean you have no LAN card?

Mary

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 04/09/04 02:44 sm spoke:
> "Bob" <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I want to disble the onboard ethernet and I flashed the latest BIOS but
>>do not see an option to do so.
>

> In the BIOS, click on Advanced tab, click on "I/O configuration" at the
> bottom of Advanced page, on the next page, you will see Onboard Lan -
> disable/enable, so choose disable. There is a few lines of Onboard items
> there, onboard sound, etc. I disabled all of them because I use a network
> card of my own, and a soundblaster live. I never tried the onboard LAN and
> don't want to since I am quite happy with my network card, so no point to
> change.
>

>>The reason I want to do this is that I put in a wireless card but the
>>system freezes, the video compresses, or the card isn't recognized.
>

> I don't know anything about wireless cards, so can't help you there.
>

>>The system works fine without the card and I have heard stories about
>>conflicting onboard ethernet adaptors.
>

> you mean you have no LAN card?

I have the built-in one and the wireless one.
I think the wireless card was conflicting with the video card.
I put a different video card in and it all works now.

There is an option to disable the onboard sound but not the onboard LAN.
Maybe something is screwy with my BIOS.

> On 04/09/04 02:44 sm spoke:
> > "Bob" <bob.lockie.NOSPAM@mail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I want to disble the onboard ethernet and I flashed the latest BIOS but
> >>do not see an option to do so.
> >

> > In the BIOS, click on Advanced tab, click on "I/O configuration" at the
> > bottom of Advanced page, on the next page, you will see Onboard Lan -
> > disable/enable, so choose disable. There is a few lines of Onboard items
> > there, onboard sound, etc. I disabled all of them because I use a
network
> > card of my own, and a soundblaster live. I never tried the onboard LAN
and
> > don't want to since I am quite happy with my network card, so no point
> > change.
> >

> >>The reason I want to do this is that I put in a wireless card but the
> >>system freezes, the video compresses, or the card isn't recognized.
> >

> > I don't know anything about wireless cards, so can't help you there.
> >

> >>The system works fine without the card and I have heard stories about
> >>conflicting onboard ethernet adaptors.

> > you mean you have no LAN card?
>
> I have the built-in one and the wireless one.
> I think the wireless card was conflicting with the video card.
> I put a different video card in and it all works now.

Which one are you using right now to get on the internet? Are you using the
wireless one now that you got the video card and your network card fixed up?

> There is an option to disable the onboard sound but not the onboard LAN.
> Maybe something is screwy with my BIOS.

Are you sure? I can't see how they could be different unless you had a
different BIOS chip on your board than I have. I have the same motherboard
as you and no matter what network card you are using the choices and lines
in the BIOS would be the same. Just disable or enable might be different
according to your choices. I just looked in the BIOS in ADvanced, and click
Enter at the I/O configuration at the bottom of the screen in the middle
line of choices. In that screen near the bottom, there are 5 lines all to do
with onboard components.
They can all be disabled or enabled. I disabled all of them. They are:
Onboard modem controller
Onboard audio controller
Onboard LAN
Onboard game port
Onboard Midi I/O

Maybe someone else with Asus A7V8X-x can check their BIOS just to confirm
this. But thats what it says in mine.

Mary

Mary wrote:

> Are you sure? I can't see how they could be different unless you had a
> different BIOS chip on your board than I have. I have the same motherboard
> as you and no matter what network card you are using the choices and lines
> in the BIOS would be the same. Just disable or enable might be different
> according to your choices. I just looked in the BIOS in ADvanced, and click
> Enter at the I/O configuration at the bottom of the screen in the middle
> line of choices. In that screen near the bottom, there are 5 lines all to do
> with onboard components.
> They can all be disabled or enabled. I disabled all of them. They are:
> Onboard modem controller
> Onboard audio controller
> Onboard LAN
> Onboard game port
> Onboard Midi I/O
>
> Maybe someone else with Asus A7V8X-x can check their BIOS just to confirm
> this. But thats what it says in mine.

a7v8x is different board than a7v8x-x and there isn't Onboard LAN option.

Mary

"Hulttio" <hulttioj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mary wrote:
>

> > Are you sure? I can't see how they could be different unless you had a
> > different BIOS chip on your board than I have. I have the same
motherboard
> > as you and no matter what network card you are using the choices and
lines
> > in the BIOS would be the same. Just disable or enable might be different
> > according to your choices. I just looked in the BIOS in ADvanced, and
click
> > Enter at the I/O configuration at the bottom of the screen in the middle
> > line of choices. In that screen near the bottom, there are 5 lines all
to do
> > with onboard components.
> > They can all be disabled or enabled. I disabled all of them. They are:
> > Onboard modem controller
> > Onboard audio controller
> > Onboard LAN
> > Onboard game port
> > Onboard Midi I/O
> >
> > Maybe someone else with Asus A7V8X-x can check their BIOS just to
confirm
> > this. But thats what it says in mine.
>
> a7v8x is different board than a7v8x-x and there isn't Onboard LAN option.

Oh, OK. I thought he just left the second "X" out as sometimes people do.
Also, I forgot there was an A7V8X model. Thanks.

Mary

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> a7v8x is different board than a7v8x-x and there isn't Onboard LAN option.

The only onboard items in Advanced/IO configuration are:
FDC
Serial 1
Serial 2
Parallel
AC97 Audio Controller
Game
MIDI I/O

Why wouldn't LAN be there?
Would ASUS have to make a specific BIOS for people with the optional LAN?
Why wouldn't they do that?
Can I use the BIOS for the -X?

> > a7v8x is different board than a7v8x-x and there isn't Onboard LAN
option.

> The only onboard items in Advanced/IO configuration are:
> FDC
> Serial 1
> Serial 2
> Parallel
> AC97 Audio Controller
> Game
> MIDI I/O
>
> Why wouldn't LAN be there?

> Would ASUS have to make a specific BIOS for people with the optional LAN?

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm - On this list it gives
different models of A7V8X series boards and their features. It says for
A7V8X that it has "Optional" LAN, so maybe its on some versions of your
board and not others. The description of my board (A7V8X-X) which does have
LAN onboard, doesn't even mention it among the features, nor does it mention
about it having 6 USB ports, but the A7V8X-MX mentions 6 USB ports and LAN
support.

> Why wouldn't they do that?

Because some models are different than others and maybe different in
different countries too. I always check the motherboard manual before I buy
a motherboard to see the features.

> Can I use the BIOS for the -X?

I have no idea, but I would think that the BIOS is made specifically for the
motherboard it is on.
Just check your motherboard manual for info and the features your board has.

Mary