Frequent brief disconnection on P4P800 Deluxe

I finally got my PC working. If you read my posts before, I couldn't get
my P4P800 Deluxe/P4 2.8C to display video. After replacing my old PC2100
memory with a new 512MB PC3200 DDR memory, it worked. Even the old AGP
card (ATI VIVO) works. But, I have another problem.

My PC is connected to cable modem by way of a router. I keep getting the
following message every one minute or so. I would lose my connection for a
few seconds, then the connection wouild come back.

Message:
Local Area Connection 2
Network cable unplugged.

I may reinstall the system in the future, but just wonder if you know a
solution to this problem without too much work?

Thanks,

cpliu
3 answers Last reply
More about frequent disconnection p4p800 deluxe

    In article <Xns94C675F8E9A8chanciusliuNOSPAMyah@130.133.1.4>, cpliu
    <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I finally got my PC working. If you read my posts before, I couldn't get
    > my P4P800 Deluxe/P4 2.8C to display video. After replacing my old PC2100
    > memory with a new 512MB PC3200 DDR memory, it worked. Even the old AGP
    > card (ATI VIVO) works. But, I have another problem.
    >
    > My PC is connected to cable modem by way of a router. I keep getting the
    > following message every one minute or so. I would lose my connection for a
    > few seconds, then the connection wouild come back.
    >
    > Message:
    > Local Area Connection 2
    > Network cable unplugged.
    >
    > I may reinstall the system in the future, but just wonder if you know a
    > solution to this problem without too much work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > cpliu

    You could have a look in Google for "Network cable unplugged" (with
    the double quotes included). Here is an example answer:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=439f01c1fcd7%24514fb170%243bef2ecf%40TKMSFTNGXA10

    In theory, the "unplugged" message should only result from the
    physical layer (the PHY part of the Ethernet chip or interface)
    signalling that it has lost the hardware at the other end of the
    Ethernet cable. A reason for those messages could be perhaps the
    router box crashing and rebooting itself, which might look like
    the router is disappearing and reappearing to your PC.

    I almost suspect though, that networking problems in other
    layers of the network stack can also cause this message, which
    is going to make your debugging efforts pretty painful.

    Sometimes the fault is with the router. Like every other part of
    the home comms equipment business, it is possible for an
    "ignorant" company to build a router and use the firmware provided
    by the router chipset manufacturer. I had the great misfortune to
    try to help someone on this group with their router once, and
    the router firmware was a disaster area, in terms of security and
    design. If you got a real bargain on the router, that might be
    a contributing factor.

    Comparing the operation of the PC connected directly to the cable
    modem, with how well it works when the router is in there. That
    might identify where the problem lies.

    Depending on who your cable provider is, you might want to do
    a Google search that includes your cable provider's name, on the
    off chance that many people are suffering from the same symptoms
    as you. Bad service is all part of the territory these days.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Try installing the latest drivers for the onboard NIC. If that doesn't
    work -- try setting NIC to 100 MB -- rather than "auto negotiate".

    "cpliu" <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I finally got my PC working. If you read my posts before, I couldn't get
    > my P4P800 Deluxe/P4 2.8C to display video. After replacing my old PC2100
    > memory with a new 512MB PC3200 DDR memory, it worked. Even the old AGP
    > card (ATI VIVO) works. But, I have another problem.
    >
    > My PC is connected to cable modem by way of a router. I keep getting the
    > following message every one minute or so. I would lose my connection for a
    > few seconds, then the connection wouild come back.
    >
    > Message:
    > Local Area Connection 2
    > Network cable unplugged.
    >
    > I may reinstall the system in the future, but just wonder if you know a
    > solution to this problem without too much work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > cpliu

    Thank you all for the suggestions. Mysteriously, the problem went away
    after rebooting.

    Best regards,

    cpliu

Asus Connection Memory Motherboards