Sudden loss of sound // CounterStrike CS 1.6 (Steam,Valve)

Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2005 7:42:34 AM

Hello NG!

Although my searches have shown that other users seem to have a
similar problems, there was no solution amongst the threads I've read
so far.

In an online Match, the sound occasionally ceases to work. This will
happen at a random time during the match. The only solution so far is
to disconnect from the match, shutdown Steam and completely reboot the
system. Only then the sound in CS will work again. In an important
match this in inacceptable.

Please note: All other applications like Teamspak, ICQ and others,
still have sound, when the CS sound crashes - so the soundcard is
still alive!

Here's the setup:

Valve Steam CS 1.6
WinXP Home / SP2

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (Sound on board)
1024 mb RAM / Corsair
AMD 3200+
GeForce 6800LE

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanx, andy

More about : sudden loss sound counterstrike steam valve

January 11, 2005 8:28:19 PM

Cathalturi <webmaster.ame@web.de> wrote in message
> Hello NG!
>
> Although my searches have shown that other users seem to have a
> similar problems, there was no solution amongst the threads I've read
> so far.
>
> In an online Match, the sound occasionally ceases to work. This will
> happen at a random time during the match. The only solution so far is
> to disconnect from the match, shutdown Steam and completely reboot the
> system. Only then the sound in CS will work again. In an important
> match this in inacceptable.
>
> Please note: All other applications like Teamspak, ICQ and others,
> still have sound, when the CS sound crashes - so the soundcard is
> still alive!
>
> Here's the setup:
>
> Valve Steam CS 1.6
> WinXP Home / SP2
>
> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (Sound on board)
> 1024 mb RAM / Corsair
> AMD 3200+
> GeForce 6800LE
>

> Your advice is greatly appreciated!
>

> Thanx, andy

How many other applications have you got running that use sound when you're
playing CS?
Does it happen when you're only running Steam and CS alone?
If not then it could be an application conflict.
Try running CS with A3D or EAX hardware support disabled.
Try fitting another (decent) sound card and disable the on board one to see
if it's more stable with CS.
Also check you've got the most recent sound card drivers loaded along with
the latest DirectX version.
!