10093: successful WSAStartup not yet performed

After a 5 day struggle with this, I finally got this resolved so I want to
share the process with the community:

This is a winsock conflict where registry files somehow get corrupted. So
do a web search for a program called WinsockFix and run it. It will come up
and tell you that it is fixing your registry and tell you to reboot. That's
all I needed, but here is a procedure to try if that doesn't work:

Note: Winsockfix and these manual fixes mention XP, but worked on my Win 2K.

Repair Winsock and Winsock2 registry keys: Method 2

Step 1: Delete registry keys
Using Regedit, go to both of the following keys, export each of them as
backups, then delete keys from registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
Restart the computer
NOTE: It is important to restart the computer after deleting the Winsock
keys. Doing so causes the XP operating system to recreate shell entries for
those two keys. If this is not done, the next step does not work correctly.
Step 2: Install TCP/IP on top of itself
Open the properties window of the network connection
Click Install
Click Protocol, then Add
Select TCP/IP and click OK
Restart the computer
When the computer reboots you should have functional Winsock keys
NOTE: If the network connection properties contained more than the
following three items: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer
Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and TCP/IP, then the additional items may
need to be removed in order to restore browsing. If those items are needed
they can be reinstalled. The reason for removing them is due to those items
placing entries into the Winsock keys and those entries will no longer be
there.

Repair Winsock and Winsock2 registry keys: Method 3

In Device Manager, Open your Network Adapter section and disable all
devices.
Using Regedit, go to both of the following keys, export each of them as
backups, then delete keys from registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
Take a copy from a clean install of those two registry tables from another
machine, and import them to the troubled machine.
Click on 'start' then 'run', type the following: netsh int ip reset
resetlog.txt. Click 'ok'.
Re-enable the devices in Device manager.
Do another netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt as above.

Hi MChil,

What symtoms led you to this solution?

Thanks!

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

dbrash@NOSPAM.gmail.com

"MChil" <MChil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a 5 day struggle with this, I finally got this resolved so I want to
> share the process with the community:
>
> This is a winsock conflict where registry files somehow get corrupted. So
> do a web search for a program called WinsockFix and run it. It will come
up
> and tell you that it is fixing your registry and tell you to reboot.
That's
> all I needed, but here is a procedure to try if that doesn't work:
>
> Note: Winsockfix and these manual fixes mention XP, but worked on my Win
2K.

> Repair Winsock and Winsock2 registry keys: Method 2
>
> Step 1: Delete registry keys
> Using Regedit, go to both of the following keys, export each of them as
> backups, then delete keys from registry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
> Restart the computer
> NOTE: It is important to restart the computer after deleting the Winsock
> keys. Doing so causes the XP operating system to recreate shell entries
for
> those two keys. If this is not done, the next step does not work
correctly.
> Step 2: Install TCP/IP on top of itself
> Open the properties window of the network connection
> Click Install
> Click Protocol, then Add
> Select TCP/IP and click OK
> Restart the computer
> When the computer reboots you should have functional Winsock keys
> NOTE: If the network connection properties contained more than the
> following three items: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer
> Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and TCP/IP, then the additional items may
> need to be removed in order to restore browsing. If those items are needed
> they can be reinstalled. The reason for removing them is due to those
items
> placing entries into the Winsock keys and those entries will no longer be
> there.

------

> Repair Winsock and Winsock2 registry keys: Method 3
>
> In Device Manager, Open your Network Adapter section and disable all
> devices.
> Using Regedit, go to both of the following keys, export each of them as
> backups, then delete keys from registry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
> Take a copy from a clean install of those two registry tables from another
> machine, and import them to the troubled machine.
> Click on 'start' then 'run', type the following: netsh int ip reset
> resetlog.txt. Click 'ok'.
> Re-enable the devices in Device manager.
> Do another netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt as above.

It appears that some 3rd-party applications (such as wireless clients) can
cause a 10093 error. Specifically a Linksys app, if I remember correctly.

I have heard that this can be successfully resolved in a couple ways:

1. allow the application to bypass the firewall
2. the steps below to restore winsock

(uninstalling the application may also work - I have not personally hit this
issue)

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

"Dana Brash" <dbrash@NOSPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> there.

> ------
>>
>> Repair Winsock and Winsock2 registry keys: Method 3
>>
>> In Device Manager, Open your Network Adapter section and disable all
>> devices.
>> Using Regedit, go to both of the following keys, export each of them as
>> backups, then delete keys from registry:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
>> Take a copy from a clean install of those two registry tables from
>> another
>> machine, and import them to the troubled machine.
>> Click on 'start' then 'run', type the following: netsh int ip reset
>> resetlog.txt. Click 'ok'.
>> Re-enable the devices in Device manager.
>> Do another netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt as above.

I have the same error as the one mention. I followed the step you suggested
to follow, but when trying to install the TCP/IP on top of himself, I could
not find it in the protocol section.
Maybe you know how I can resolve the problem