P4PE-X with pentium 4 2.8GHz northwood

i have a asus p4pe-x and with a p4 2.8 northwood the pc crashs after
several minutes...with a celeron all runs without problems...any ideas???

thx

phips
3 answers Last reply
More about p4pe pentium 8ghz northwood

    Check the temperature of the p4 (probe or BIOS).
    Do you have the latest BIOS.

    In article <c56986$91b$1@newsreader1.utanet.at>, phips
    <phips@computronic.at> wrote:

    > i have a asus p4pe-x and with a p4 2.8 northwood the pc crashs after
    > several minutes...with a celeron all runs without problems...any ideas???
    >
    > thx
    >
    > phips

    Post the SSPEC, the five character code that defines the characteristics
    of the processor. My bet is your P4 has FSB800 (i.e. it is a P4-C)
    and something on your board is not rated for operation that fast.
    If you want to look up the processor yourself, see:

    http://processorfinder.intel.com

    If it is an FSB800 processor, try using _only_ one stick of ram
    and place it in slot 3. One stick of ram should be stable at
    DDR400, assuming the one stick of ram is rated for PC3200
    or higher. If you want to use more ram, put the second stick
    in slot 1 and drop the CPU FSB clock manually in the BIOS so
    it will run stable.

    HTH,
    Paul

    In article <nospam-1104040257460001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
    (Paul) wrote:

    > In article <c56986$91b$1@newsreader1.utanet.at>, phips
    > <phips@computronic.at> wrote:
    >
    > > i have a asus p4pe-x and with a p4 2.8 northwood the pc crashs after
    > > several minutes...with a celeron all runs without problems...any ideas???
    > >
    > > thx
    > >
    > > phips
    >
    > Post the SSPEC, the five character code that defines the characteristics
    > of the processor. My bet is your P4 has FSB800 (i.e. it is a P4-C)
    > and something on your board is not rated for operation that fast.
    > If you want to look up the processor yourself, see:
    >
    > http://processorfinder.intel.com
    >
    > If it is an FSB800 processor, try using _only_ one stick of ram
    > and place it in slot 3. One stick of ram should be stable at
    > DDR400, assuming the one stick of ram is rated for PC3200
    > or higher. If you want to use more ram, put the second stick
    > in slot 1 and drop the CPU FSB clock manually in the BIOS so
    > it will run stable.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Damn, forgot that is a 845PE board. The manual says to use slot 1,
    so I guess you are stuck using slot 1 for the single DIMM. This
    is not the best slot electrically, but unfortunately you don't
    have a choice, due to the way the control signals are wired.
    Stick with what the manual says to do.

    Paul

Asus Pentium Celeron Motherboards