P4PE-X with pentium 4 2.8GHz northwood

i have a asus p4pe-x and with a p4 2.8 northwood the pc crashs after
several minutes...with a celeron all runs without problems...any ideas???

thx

phips

Check the temperature of the p4 (probe or BIOS).
Do you have the latest BIOS.

"phips" <phips@computronic.at> wrote in message
> i have a asus p4pe-x and with a p4 2.8 northwood the pc crashs after
> several minutes...with a celeron all runs without problems...any ideas???
>
> thx
>
> phips

Paul

Splendid

In article <c56986$91b$1@newsreader1.utanet.at>, phips
<phips@computronic.at> wrote:

> i have a asus p4pe-x and with a p4 2.8 northwood the pc crashs after
> several minutes...with a celeron all runs without problems...any ideas???
>
> thx
>
> phips

Post the SSPEC, the five character code that defines the characteristics
of the processor. My bet is your P4 has FSB800 (i.e. it is a P4-C)
and something on your board is not rated for operation that fast.
If you want to look up the processor yourself, see:

http://processorfinder.intel.com

If it is an FSB800 processor, try using _only_ one stick of ram
and place it in slot 3. One stick of ram should be stable at
DDR400, assuming the one stick of ram is rated for PC3200
or higher. If you want to use more ram, put the second stick
in slot 1 and drop the CPU FSB clock manually in the BIOS so
it will run stable.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-1104040257460001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <c56986$91b$1@newsreader1.utanet.at>, phips
> <phips@computronic.at> wrote:
>
> > i have a asus p4pe-x and with a p4 2.8 northwood the pc crashs after
> > several minutes...with a celeron all runs without problems...any ideas???
> >
> > thx
> >
> > phips
>
> Post the SSPEC, the five character code that defines the characteristics
> of the processor. My bet is your P4 has FSB800 (i.e. it is a P4-C)
> and something on your board is not rated for operation that fast.
> If you want to look up the processor yourself, see:
>
> http://processorfinder.intel.com
>
> If it is an FSB800 processor, try using _only_ one stick of ram
> and place it in slot 3. One stick of ram should be stable at
> DDR400, assuming the one stick of ram is rated for PC3200
> or higher. If you want to use more ram, put the second stick
> in slot 1 and drop the CPU FSB clock manually in the BIOS so
> it will run stable.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Damn, forgot that is a 845PE board. The manual says to use slot 1,
so I guess you are stuck using slot 1 for the single DIMM. This
is not the best slot electrically, but unfortunately you don't
have a choice, due to the way the control signals are wired.
Stick with what the manual says to do.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS