Hibernation Problems

April 26, 2004 1:12:50 PM

When I want to set my computer to hibernate (Windows XP
Professional), it comes up with:

"The device driver for the 'Standard 101/102-Key or
Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard' device is preventing the
machine from entering hibernation. Please close all
applications and try again. If the problem persists, you
may need to update this driver"

The problem does persist and the driver is fine. It
worked before but I don't know what has happened to make
it react this way. Could anyone help please?

More about : hibernation problems

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 2:47:59 AM

Might this be an older keyboard? Maybe the first Generation Natural
Keyboards? Hibernating isn't that big of a deal. Some systems refuse
to wake from it, and it may be more harm then good

Tony

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:12:50 -0700, "Allan Turner"

>When I want to set my computer to hibernate (Windows XP
>Professional), it comes up with:
>
>"The device driver for the 'Standard 101/102-Key or
>Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard' device is preventing the
>machine from entering hibernation. Please close all
>applications and try again. If the problem persists, you
>may need to update this driver"
>
>The problem does persist and the driver is fine. It
>worked before but I don't know what has happened to make
>it react this way. Could anyone help please?
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:06:22 AM

Hello Allan,
There is probably a filter driver that is hooking the keyboard driver.
So it's really the filter driver that is preventing hibernating but the
keyboard driver is doing the reporting.
Click " Start", and then click "Run".
In the "Open" box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and
then click "OK".
Click the remote computer name, and then open the registry of the
remote computer.
In the registry of the remote computer, locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325
-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, look at the " UpperFilters " and "lowerfilters" value.
What are under those values? Do not just remove them since this affects
whether the keyboard might work or not.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
>From: "Allan Turner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Sender: "Allan Turner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Hibernation Problems
>Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:12:50 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
>
>When I want to set my computer to hibernate (Windows XP
>Professional), it comes up with:
>
>"The device driver for the 'Standard 101/102-Key or
>Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard' device is preventing the
>machine from entering hibernation. Please close all
>applications and try again. If the problem persists, you
>may need to update this driver"
>
>The problem does persist and the driver is fine. It
>worked before but I don't know what has happened to make
>it react this way. Could anyone help please?

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 10:13:02 PM

Darrell,

This is also exactly the problem I have currently. This started when I used the Windows XP CD to effect a repair. It caused my IR port and hibernation to stop working. I fixed my IR port by uninstalling and letting the hardware wizard reinstall. I tried the same trick with the keyboard but this didn't work.

I have looked in the registry as you asked Allan to do and find only "kbdclass" under UpperFilters. There is no LowerFilters.

What next?
Thanks
Stuart Cooney

!