Sata and IDE together under WinXP?

I have a P4C800E-Deluxe board with a 120GB and 30GB IDE drives. Basically,
I just want to add another hd for video editing. I've no experience with
Sata. What I'm curious about is can a SATA hd and the two IDE drives
coexist and be used as "regular" (non-Raid) drives in a WinXP system? TIA.

Tony

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Mix and match to your hearts content. My P4C800-E Deluxe system presently
has 2 SATA HDDs and 2 PATA HDDs, no raid. The more drives the better for
video editing, since you can put read/write/catch files on different drives.
This speeds things up somewhat.

"Tony Sz" <nospam@thanx.not> wrote in message
> I have a P4C800E-Deluxe board with a 120GB and 30GB IDE drives.
Basically,
> I just want to add another hd for video editing. I've no experience with
> Sata. What I'm curious about is can a SATA hd and the two IDE drives
> coexist and be used as "regular" (non-Raid) drives in a WinXP system?
TIA.

> Tony

Sure you can.

Without any raid confuration you can plug your PATA and SATA drivers in a
lot of manners.
You can even use the raid controller (Promise or VIA I do not remeber the E
deluxe configs....) to plug SATA or PATA drivers.
For instance:
SATA dirver on main SATA plug (you have two of them on the MB) and I suggest
you to use it as boot driver cause it's the faster one.
PATA drivers on the IDE connectors (primary and secondary)

But , if one of your PATA driver is an UDMA 133 driver, you can use it at
the faster bus connecting to the raid controller and configure this as an
IDE interface.
This because the primary and secondary IDE bus support till UDMA 100.

Morover you can use 4 SATA drivers and 4 PATA drivers with no raid
configuration, but I guess you need connection fro CD and DVD drivers too ??
Anyway, Win XP allows you to do what you want, just follow the Asus manual
and ......

Enjoy your excellent MB

Bye
Hyp

"Tony Sz" <nospam@thanx.not> ha scritto nel messaggio
> I have a P4C800E-Deluxe board with a 120GB and 30GB IDE drives.
Basically,
> I just want to add another hd for video editing. I've no experience with
> Sata. What I'm curious about is can a SATA hd and the two IDE drives
> coexist and be used as "regular" (non-Raid) drives in a WinXP system?
TIA.

> Tony

Thanks to both Hyp and you, Anon, for the replies. I'm going to try to put
my new IDE drive on the #12 "Raid Ultra ATA133 connector", as the manual
describes it. It's the IDE connector that is parrallel with the mobo hanging
off the side across from the PCI slots. Do I need to configure it using the
Raid s/w or just config the Bios for IDE instead of Raid? TIA again.
---
Tony

"Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> Mix and match to your hearts content. My P4C800-E Deluxe system presently
> has 2 SATA HDDs and 2 PATA HDDs, no raid. The more drives the better for
> video editing, since you can put read/write/catch files on different
drives.
> This speeds things up somewhat.
>
> "Tony Sz" <nospam@thanx.not> wrote in message
> > I have a P4C800E-Deluxe board with a 120GB and 30GB IDE drives.
> Basically,
> > I just want to add another hd for video editing. I've no experience with
> > Sata. What I'm curious about is can a SATA hd and the two IDE drives
> > coexist and be used as "regular" (non-Raid) drives in a WinXP system?
> TIA.
> >
> > Tony

Yes, it is the connector you identified.
You do not need to install the raid s/w (use it only when you will install
any raid drivers SATA or PATA , this s/w help you to manage and choose the
raid system).
Just plug it, set into the BIOS the IDE controller and set the driver on
auto configure or if you prefer manual config. use UDMA 6 if your driver is
an UDMA 133, UDMA 5 if it is UDMA 100 and so on..

Bye
Hyp

> Thanks to both Hyp and you, Anon, for the replies. I'm going to try to
put
> my new IDE drive on the #12 "Raid Ultra ATA133 connector", as the manual
> describes it. It's the IDE connector that is parrallel with the mobo
hanging
> off the side across from the PCI slots. Do I need to configure it using
the
> Raid s/w or just config the Bios for IDE instead of Raid? TIA again.
> ---
> Tony
>
> "Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> > Mix and match to your hearts content. My P4C800-E Deluxe system
presently
> > has 2 SATA HDDs and 2 PATA HDDs, no raid. The more drives the better for
> > video editing, since you can put read/write/catch files on different
> drives.
> > This speeds things up somewhat.
> >
> > "Tony Sz" <nospam@thanx.not> wrote in message
> > > I have a P4C800E-Deluxe board with a 120GB and 30GB IDE drives.
> > Basically,
> > > I just want to add another hd for video editing. I've no experience
with
> > > Sata. What I'm curious about is can a SATA hd and the two IDE drives
> > > coexist and be used as "regular" (non-Raid) drives in a WinXP system?
> > TIA.
> > >
> > > Tony

Sweet. I'm installing it today. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks
again for the help, Hyp.
---
Tony