Internal modem

Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything is running fine,
however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have caller id and a
catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the catch-a-call ring only
once, I get disconnected.

Is my modem ringing the catch-a-call? Is there a software setting to check?
ANy advice is appreciated...Dennis
4 answers Last reply
More about internal modem

    Get cable.

    Call Gateway to ask for tech support on the new system, you
    paid for it,might as well use it.

    You might also check the Catch A Call website for their FAQ.

    "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    | Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything is
    running fine,
    | however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have caller
    id and a
    | catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the
    catch-a-call ring only
    | once, I get disconnected.
    |
    | Is my modem ringing the catch-a-call? Is there a software
    setting to check?
    | ANy advice is appreciated...Dennis

    Well, I've had my catch-a-call device a couple of years now. No problem
    with my old machine. I was thinking there might be a software switch
    somewhere. Perhaps something to do with the new XP firewall...Dennis

    > Get cable.
    >
    > Call Gateway to ask for tech support on the new system, you
    > paid for it,might as well use it.
    >
    > You might also check the Catch A Call website for their FAQ.

    > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything is
    > running fine,
    > | however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have caller
    > id and a
    > | catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the
    > catch-a-call ring only
    > | once, I get disconnected.
    > |
    > | Is my modem ringing the catch-a-call? Is there a software
    > setting to check?
    > | ANy advice is appreciated...Dennis

    I think I solved the problem. Under modem->advanced port options, the
    received buffer was cranked all the way fast (16). Probably too fast for my
    copper line. Took it to 14 and haven't heard a peep today. Let's hope it
    stays that way...Dennis

    > Get cable.
    >
    > Call Gateway to ask for tech support on the new system, you
    > paid for it,might as well use it.
    >
    > You might also check the Catch A Call website for their FAQ.

    > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything is
    > running fine,
    > | however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have caller
    > id and a
    > | catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the
    > catch-a-call ring only
    > | once, I get disconnected.
    > |
    > | Is my modem ringing the catch-a-call? Is there a software
    > setting to check?
    > | ANy advice is appreciated...Dennis

    Glad you got it fixed.

    | I think I solved the problem. Under modem->advanced port
    options, the
    | received buffer was cranked all the way fast (16).
    Probably too fast for my
    | copper line. Took it to 14 and haven't heard a peep
    today. Let's hope it
    | stays that way...Dennis

    in message
    | > Get cable.
    | >
    | > Call Gateway to ask for tech support on the new system,
    you
    | > paid for it,might as well use it.
    | >
    | > You might also check the Catch A Call website for their
    FAQ.

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything
    is
    | > running fine,
    | > | however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have
    caller
    | > id and a
    | > | catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the
    | > catch-a-call ring only
    | > | once, I get disconnected.
    | > |
    | > | Is my modem ringing the catch-a-call? Is there a
    software
    | > setting to check?
    | > | ANy advice is appreciated...Dennis
    | > |