Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything is running fine,
however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have caller id and a
catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the catch-a-call ring only
once, I get disconnected.

Is my modem ringing the catch-a-call? Is there a software setting to check?
ANy advice is appreciated...Dennis

Get cable.

Call Gateway to ask for tech support on the new system, you
paid for it,might as well use it.

You might also check the Catch A Call website for their FAQ.

"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
| Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything is
running fine,
| however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have caller
id and a
| catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the
catch-a-call ring only
| once, I get disconnected.
|
| Is my modem ringing the catch-a-call? Is there a software
setting to check?
| ANy advice is appreciated...Dennis

Well, I've had my catch-a-call device a couple of years now. No problem
with my old machine. I was thinking there might be a software switch
somewhere. Perhaps something to do with the new XP firewall...Dennis

> Get cable.
>
> Call Gateway to ask for tech support on the new system, you
> paid for it,might as well use it.
>
> You might also check the Catch A Call website for their FAQ.

> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> | Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything is
> running fine,
> | however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have caller
> id and a
> | catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the
> catch-a-call ring only
> | once, I get disconnected.
> |
> | Is my modem ringing the catch-a-call? Is there a software
> setting to check?
> | ANy advice is appreciated...Dennis

I think I solved the problem. Under modem->advanced port options, the
received buffer was cranked all the way fast (16). Probably too fast for my
copper line. Took it to 14 and haven't heard a peep today. Let's hope it
stays that way...Dennis

> Get cable.
>
> Call Gateway to ask for tech support on the new system, you
> paid for it,might as well use it.
>
> You might also check the Catch A Call website for their FAQ.

> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> | Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything is
> running fine,
> | however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have caller
> id and a
> | catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the
> catch-a-call ring only
> | once, I get disconnected.
> |
> | Is my modem ringing the catch-a-call? Is there a software
> setting to check?
> | ANy advice is appreciated...Dennis

Glad you got it fixed.

| I think I solved the problem. Under modem->advanced port
options, the
| received buffer was cranked all the way fast (16).
Probably too fast for my
| copper line. Took it to 14 and haven't heard a peep
today. Let's hope it
| stays that way...Dennis

in message
| > Get cable.
| >
| > Call Gateway to ask for tech support on the new system,
you
| > paid for it,might as well use it.
| >
| > You might also check the Catch A Call website for their
FAQ.

| > --
| >

| > "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi. Just got my new Gateway XP machine. Everything
is
| > running fine,
| > | however this modem seems a tad sensitive. I have
caller
| > id and a
| > | catch-a-call device. If I'm online, if I hear the
| > catch-a-call ring only
| > | once, I get disconnected.
| > |