2nd lan connection not recognized-A7N8X-E Deluxe

I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm trying to
setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being recognized.
Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the one
lan.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about connection recognized a7n8x deluxe

    In article <107dphtbe3u9cac@corp.supernews.com>, "Clarity"
    <clarity@home.com> wrote:

    > I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm trying to
    > setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being recognized.
    > Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the one
    > lan.
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks

    Think of the problem from the computer's point of view. If only one
    LAN interface is working, it knows all the packets go out through
    that interface. If suddenly, two LAN interfaces are enabled, which
    one gets the packets, and when ? So, some routing software has
    to be present in the networking stack, to solve that problem.
    An example would be ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - AFAIK
    it routes packets.

    As I don't own a mobo with two LAN interfaces, this is
    just a guess,

    Paul

    Some info regarding your setup might be useful, like your OS, your
    "LAN" setup, your mobo brand, etc.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    "Clarity" <clarity@home.com> wrote in message
    | I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm
    trying to
    | setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being
    recognized.
    | Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the
    one
    | lan.
    | Any suggestions?
    | Thanks

    Still strugglin'. An' I'm startin' to feel like Frankenstein trying to
    raise the dead only in this case it's the simplest of simple home networks.
    It's an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, 2600 AMD Barton, 512 mg ram, xp pro and trying
    to go peer-to-peer thru ics to a 98 SE 1.1 gb machine.
    Thanks for suggestions.

    "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Some info regarding your setup might be useful, like your OS, your
    > "LAN" setup, your mobo brand, etc.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kyle
    > "Clarity" <clarity@home.com> wrote in message
    > | I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm
    > trying to
    > | setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being
    > recognized.
    > | Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the
    > one
    > | lan.
    > | Any suggestions?
    > | Thanks

    suggest you run the network wizard it shows some different configs and will
    load the appropriate drivers depending on what config you have.
    I assume you have a cable or DSL Modem? If you want to run two connections
    to thte outside world simultaneously you need iether 2 ip addressess from
    your ISP or a router or some other means of getting the packets to and
    from the correct box.
    I have two boxes connnected together via enet and to the real world via a
    dial-up modem and it works fine
    "Clarity" <clarity@home.com> wrote in message
    > I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm trying to
    > setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being recognized.
    > Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the one
    > lan.
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks

    Thanks....got it! Guess I was putting too much faith in the client disk.
    Once I got the right ip's in....away she went. Was used to 98...thought xp
    managed all that.

    "notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
    > suggest you run the network wizard it shows some different configs and
    will
    > load the appropriate drivers depending on what config you have.
    > I assume you have a cable or DSL Modem? If you want to run two
    connections
    > to thte outside world simultaneously you need iether 2 ip addressess from
    > your ISP or a router or some other means of getting the packets to and
    > from the correct box.
    > I have two boxes connnected together via enet and to the real world via a
    > dial-up modem and it works fine
    > "Clarity" <clarity@home.com> wrote in message
    > > I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm trying to
    > > setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being
    recognized.
    > > Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the one
    > > lan.
    > > Any suggestions?
    > > Thanks

Asus LAN Connection Motherboards