2nd lan connection not recognized-A7N8X-E Deluxe

Clarity

I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm trying to
setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being recognized.
Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the one
lan.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Paul

Splendid

In article <107dphtbe3u9cac@corp.supernews.com>, "Clarity"
<clarity@home.com> wrote:

> I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm trying to
> setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being recognized.
> Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the one
> lan.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks

Think of the problem from the computer's point of view. If only one
LAN interface is working, it knows all the packets go out through
that interface. If suddenly, two LAN interfaces are enabled, which
one gets the packets, and when ? So, some routing software has
to be present in the networking stack, to solve that problem.
An example would be ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) - AFAIK
it routes packets.

As I don't own a mobo with two LAN interfaces, this is
just a guess,

Paul

Some info regarding your setup might be useful, like your OS, your
"LAN" setup, your mobo brand, etc.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Clarity" <clarity@home.com> wrote in message
| I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm
trying to
| setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being
recognized.
| Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the
one
| lan.
| Any suggestions?
| Thanks

Clarity

Still strugglin'. An' I'm startin' to feel like Frankenstein trying to
raise the dead only in this case it's the simplest of simple home networks.
It's an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, 2600 AMD Barton, 512 mg ram, xp pro and trying
to go peer-to-peer thru ics to a 98 SE 1.1 gb machine.
Thanks for suggestions.

"Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Some info regarding your setup might be useful, like your OS, your
> "LAN" setup, your mobo brand, etc.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kyle
> "Clarity" <clarity@home.com> wrote in message
> | I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm
> trying to
> | setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being
> recognized.
> | Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the
> one
> | lan.
> | Any suggestions?
> | Thanks

suggest you run the network wizard it shows some different configs and will
load the appropriate drivers depending on what config you have.
I assume you have a cable or DSL Modem? If you want to run two connections
to thte outside world simultaneously you need iether 2 ip addressess from
your ISP or a router or some other means of getting the packets to and
from the correct box.
I have two boxes connnected together via enet and to the real world via a
dial-up modem and it works fine
"Clarity" <clarity@home.com> wrote in message
> I finally got one of my lans to recognize my modem but now I'm trying to
> setup a network and the 2nd lan built into the mb isn't being recognized.
> Tried unstalling and reinstalling but it only wants to recognize the one
> lan.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks

Clarity

Thanks....got it! Guess I was putting too much faith in the client disk.
Once I got the right ip's in....away she went. Was used to 98...thought xp
managed all that.