wrong memory shown

I have four sticks of 256 memory installed but the bios/computer only shows

All e-mail scanned by Norton anti Virus

"E.F" said in news:ervIg48KEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
> I have four sticks of 256 memory installed but the bios/computer only
> shows 256

Installed in WHAT?

What does the manual for your motherboard state is the maximum size for
each memory module and how much maximum or total memory it will support?

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=news=" to Subject.

Hi

What does the following typed from a command prompt show:

systeminfo

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"E.F" <aocc47@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:ervIg48KEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| I have four sticks of 256 memory installed but the bios/computer only shows
| 256
|
| --
| All e-mail scanned by Norton anti Virus

---

let me give a bit more info
1. removed motherboard and all the bits from one case
and fitted in a new one, same harddisk and proc etc but new graphics card.
2. fitted in a new case started up computer the had to re-activate.
3. now compter only see 512mb
4 Asus P4T-E with rambus memory

"*Vanguard*" <no-email@post-reply-in-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in message
> "E.F" said in news:ervIg48KEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
> > I have four sticks of 256 memory installed but the bios/computer only
> > shows 256
>
> Installed in WHAT?
>
> What does the manual for your motherboard state is the maximum size for
> each memory module and how much maximum or total memory it will support?

> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
> *** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=news=" to Subject.

"EF" <aocc47@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>let me give a bit more info
>1. removed motherboard and all the bits from one case
>and fitted in a new one, same harddisk and proc etc but new graphics card.
>2. fitted in a new case started up computer the had to re-activate.
>3. now compter only see 512mb
>4 Asus P4T-E with rambus memory

What does Control Panel - System show for the total memory?

The System Information utility in Windows XP is known to report the
wrong RAM amount in some instances. But Control Panel - System should
always be accurate.

If Control Panel - System has the wrong amount as well then use Start
- Run - MSCONFIG. Go to the BOOT.INI tab and click on the Advanced
Options button. Make certain that the /MAXMEM= checkbox is clear and
that there is no value in the parameter box for this line.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP