Computer Science B.S. but what can I do for my M.S?

Skyx10

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Well I just finished my first year of college and was finally put into the CS curriculum after half the year. Since High school (where I started learning about programming) I was very interested in doing something with computers. I did a lot of reading and find out that a B.S. in Computer Science has a very broad field with what you can do but I am wonder what I can do if I want to further my education.

If I go for my M.S., will that allow that already broad field to widen even more or am I forced to still go into going for my Computer Science M.S degree. What I'm trying to say is that after I finish with my B.S. degree could I go for M.S. on getting something with Game Design or something more hardware oriented?

If I could how do I go about doing that? And on a side-note when I finish my B.S. what is a good recommendation for my M.S?

Thanks Guys!

All an MS will allow you to do is teach. You need a BS to get people to look at your resume, and an MS is a nice touch, but it's not nearly as important as your programming ability. If you want to do game design, then program games in your free time. Contributing to Game Mods, especially for Id and Unreal based games, is also a good idea.

If you want to have a more hardware oriented career then you may want to get some more Electrical Engineering classes. I forgot to mention that having an MS might be nice if you want to do OS coding or Compilers. A masters degree isn't needed for that, but for some of the deeper OS stuff and Compiler Optimization it would certainly help.

Skyx10

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Alright thanks! I'll look more in to Electrical Engineering because software does not interest me as much as hardware does. Well if a M.S would only allow me to teach then that would be fun.