Your question

Linksys BEFSR41

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Linksys
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
January 21, 2003 9:56:21 PM

I have searched the forum for possible answers, but I could not find any. I have a cable modem and want to share the connection between two computer, and possible three. I went out and bought the Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router and tried to set it up. I have tried about ten different ways to get the router to work, but it will not recognize the Internet connection. I went through the set up for the router and could not get anything. Know when I type in the IP address to get into the router, nothing happens. I am very frustrated and would appreciate any help you all could give, I value the opinions of this community more than anything. Thank you in advance.

More about : linksys befsr41

January 21, 2003 11:34:29 PM

does your cable company give you a static ip or is it dynamic. you may also have been given a host name that is required to connect.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
January 22, 2003 1:05:00 AM

I hope you read the manual... ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr11_befsr41ug.pdf

First of all, you must set your networking options on your computer to <b>obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS servers automatically</b>. The router is pre-set as a DHCP gateway when it first is ran.

Figure out what type of connection you have from your service provider. I have DSL, and they told me I had to set my router/computer to DHCP.

Can you log into the router using: http://192.168.1.1 ? Make sure you can do this. Type this address into the internet browser.

If so you can change these on the status page:
Different modes to set the router:
DHCP
Static IP
PPPoE
PPTP

Now go to the DCHP screen and select the enable option. Also, set a starting address that you want the computers to be.

-----
<b>My Mentor: <A HREF="http://www.mchawking.com" target="_new">Stephen Hawkings</A></b>
Related resources
January 22, 2003 1:10:08 AM

I can no longer log into the router. I type in the address and nothing happens. I am currently searching the linksys site for info. I apprecitate any help.
January 22, 2003 8:41:52 AM

Would that router require a serial connection to the console port, and the use of hyper terminal to set-up the initial ethernet stuff by any chance?

Maybe the router's default IP is either 192.168.7.1, so you might need to change your config PC to 192.168.7.2 to gain access.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
January 22, 2003 8:57:39 AM

there's a reset button on the router which will bring it back to factory defaults.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
January 22, 2003 1:55:18 PM

You actually have to hold the reset button for like 10 seconds(I think). I had the same thing happen to me with my BEFSR41, and needed to reset it. After doing the reset, login as admin, pass:admin. Most likely your isp has dhcp set up, so make sure dhcp is setup on the router. Sometimes you have to cycle power to your cable modem as well. Tech support had me turn off mine for about 15 seconds to get it going once. You may also need to release and renew the ip in the router, there is a page for it though. My lockup that required the reset was started with a firmware problem so it might not be a bad idea to update your firmware too.

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>
January 22, 2003 2:20:16 PM

Thanks for all the info. I am going to reset the router and try again tomorrow, that way I can spend all day on it. If I have any more problems, you will see more posts from me.
January 24, 2003 12:19:42 AM

I finally got the router to work. The problem was that the cable modem did not send back a strong enough signal to the server. They came and did some work on the main box, and increased the signal. Another problem was that the site said that I had a dynamic IP, and I actually had a Static IP. I check the IP for several days and it was always the same. I even disconnected the cable modem several times to check. I appreciate all the help I received.
January 27, 2003 4:40:14 PM

Be careful. It may not be a static IP. Just because it hasn't changed yet doesn't mean it wont. Just don't make any fixed plans, and leave the router on DHCP.

phr0Ze
I've been hiding in the shadows @ THG since 97.

AMD 2600/333
A7N8X Deluxe
2x512MB CorsairXMS 3200
Radeon 9700 Pro
320Gig Raid 0
Sony DRU500A
Yamaha CRW-F1
January 28, 2003 12:18:54 PM

same problem i had, before i even hooked up my router, my dad was paying for 2 ip's.. with our cable modem, and all the time the Connection would just drop out.. so the guy came here and finally relized that the Cable Signal Coming in from the house was not to strong, and then the idiot technician they sent ... put on a -15db SPLITTER, which made everything ten times worse.

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2
January 28, 2003 3:52:48 PM

I use one of these:
Motorola Signal Booster
(484095-001-00) The Motorola General Instruments Signal Booster is designed to amplify broadband signal strength up to 32 times and help eliminate the common effects of "snowy" television pictures. The amplifier enables the clear transmission of multiple voice, video and data services over broadband products, such as set-top terminals and cable modems.

Ever since I installed it I have had no signal drop outs or weak signal problems.

btw rob423 and phroze, nice systems, wish I had that :smile:

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sbolinger2 on 01/28/03 11:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 28, 2003 10:44:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up. The connection stopped working the other day. I had to go in and reset the IP setting. Thanks for all the help.
January 29, 2003 11:27:07 PM

Thanks for the Compliment..

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174
January 29, 2003 11:27:12 PM

Thanks for the Compliment..

yeah it's a nice system, first one i built, and is running great

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174
January 30, 2003 3:52:24 PM

Thats the exact problem I had, although the reason mine wouldnt work is because im in the UK and I use PPPoA to connect. Since that modem doesnt support the UK standard it couldnt connect to the modem, so I cant use it. Even though my modem should process the connection (I think, it has a choice of connection - including PPPoA - in its setup menu) The router just could not connect.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>