Best inexpensive Laser Printer?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 11, 2004 4:34:11 PM

Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?

Thanks,
Larry
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 2:33:27 AM

I didn't know they made a $100 laser printer. I'd look at the inexpensive
Brothers (around $200, maybe less).

Sheldon
sheldon@sopris.net

"Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

April 12, 2004 2:33:28 AM

Sheldon wrote:
> I didn't know they made a $100 laser printer. I'd look at the inexpensive
> Brothers (around $200, maybe less).

One of the Samsungs gets rebated to under $100 occasionally. As with
many printers, it comes with a "starter" toner cartridge that has about
1/3 as much as the refill.
Related resources
April 12, 2004 2:33:28 AM

"Sheldon" <sheldon@REMOVEsopris.net> wrote:

> I didn't know they made a $100 laser printer. I'd look at the inexpensive
> Brothers (around $200, maybe less).

I just bought a Brothers HL-1440 from local Office Deport for around $100
after instant and mail-in rebate. I don't use the printer itself but
because it uses the same DRUM and Toner cartridge with my older Multiple
Functions laser printer (Printer, Scanner, Fax) with the drum life just
reached 20,000 pages and need to be replaced. So I bought the printer just
to get the drum and toner cartridge.

> Sheldon
> sheldon@sopris.net
>

> "Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Larry
April 12, 2004 5:12:33 AM

"Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<7Xaec.111049$gA5.1447894@attbi_s03>...
> Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?

A used HP4 or 5 or 6. (Not the 5L or 6L though.)
Toner refills are cheap.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 8:17:18 AM

"Sheldon" (sheldon@REMOVEsopris.net) writes:
> I didn't know they made a $100 laser printer. I'd look at the inexpensive
> Brothers (around $200, maybe less).
>
> Sheldon
> sheldon@sopris.net

I paid $100 (after rebate) for my Lexmark E310 (made by Samsung).
Samsung has offered a successor model for $100 (after rebate).

Conclusion: $100 is a price point, as long as you are willing to
file a rebate and put up with the aggrevation.

You'll have to read ads or web sites for prices with rebates.
I bought my Lexmark at Staples, but I think the $100 Samsung
price is most common at Micro Center.

Brendan

> "Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Larry

April 12, 2004 5:29:38 PM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:33:27 GMT, "Sheldon" <sheldon@REMOVEsopris.net> wrote:

>I didn't know they made a $100 laser printer. I'd look at the inexpensive
>Brothers (around $200, maybe less).

Limited Drum life, go for a Cheap HP I see they sell here for some $300nz so
in the US would be around $120us..

At least with a HP you away's get a new Drum..

>Sheldon
>sheldon@sopris.net
>

>"Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Larry

April 12, 2004 5:42:39 PM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:34:11 GMT, "Larry Fieman"
<_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote:

>Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
>
>Thanks,
>Larry

Canon or HP..

As you get a new Drum..

April 12, 2004 5:43:35 PM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:16:08 -0400, dp <perley@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>> I didn't know they made a $100 laser printer. I'd look at the inexpensive
>> Brothers (around $200, maybe less).
>
>One of the Samsungs gets rebated to under $100 occasionally. As with
>many printers, it comes with a "starter" toner cartridge that has about
>1/3 as much as the refill.

HP or Canon..

April 13, 2004 12:10:03 AM

"Alan" <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> "Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
>
> A used HP4 or 5 or 6. (Not the 5L or 6L though.)

Just curious, why not 5L or 6L?
April 13, 2004 3:02:24 AM

"Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote in message news:<w5Hec.605$2e6.1@lakeread01>...
> "Alan" <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> > "Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
> >
> > A used HP4 or 5 or 6. (Not the 5L or 6L though.)
>
> Just curious, why not 5L or 6L?

They're the ones where you stack the paper almost vertically and it's
supposed to slide into the printer. Unfortunately these are very prone
to jamming, grabbing 10 or more pages at a time. Generally I'd avoid
any printers with similar feeds, a paper tray at the bottom is much
preferable. Also it seems better at keeping dust, bugs and whatever
else you have wafting around falling into the works.

Especially for a used printer, you really want to see it print at
least 10 pages before buying. Low quality print may be due to an old
toner cart, so don't be too quick to dismiss on that ground, but paper
jamming quickly becomes a hair-tearing frustration.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 4:35:01 AM

I bought the Brother 1440L after I upgraded to XP sometime last year because
my Canon LBP465 was not XP-compatible though it was still working fine after
several years of use. But this Brother is the trickiest, touchiest printer
I have ever owned -- it frequently has to be cajoled into printing (turning
on and off, disconnecting printer cable, prerssing button, etc. etc.) One
of these days I'm going to get fed up with it and buy a new one even though
I'd like to get my money's worth out of it.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 4:35:08 AM

At the risk of being flamed, I have a Samsung 1710 that I got after instant
and mail in rebates for under $100. Yes it has the started cartridge so be
prepared after the second ream of paper to replace/refill it but it is
actually a great little printer for my needs. Yes it is noisy and no there
is not a low toner alert but for $100 it does everything expected of it.
"Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 10:06:12 PM

I have to add this to what I said before. I had written Brother a
blow-off-steam letter complaining along the lines in my previous message,
and would you believe they just called me, apologized, and are going to send
me a replacement printer?

They had a record of my previous calls so they know I had problems. I am
absolutely amazed. There may be a problem with this particular printer.

Great company. Hope by next week I will be able to say it's a good printer.
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 12:25:52 AM

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:10:03 -0500, "Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote:

>"Alan" <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>> "Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
>>
>> A used HP4 or 5 or 6. (Not the 5L or 6L though.)
>
>Just curious, why not 5L or 6L?

They are a low end budget model..

I just picked up a 6L for say $25 us from a second hand shop that did no
really know what it was..

Then I imported a 8meg Ram module from MemoryX

But that was the dear part $55us, but as you pay here some $200-350nz for a
4meg HP one that is good, 8meg ones are not sold here.

April 14, 2004 12:27:39 AM

On 12 Apr 2004 23:02:24 -0700, 7ibehx001@sneakemail.com (Alan) wrote:

>"Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote in message news:<w5Hec.605$2e6.1@lakeread01>...
>> "Alan" <7ibehx001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>> > "Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > A used HP4 or 5 or 6. (Not the 5L or 6L though.)
>>
>> Just curious, why not 5L or 6L?
>
>They're the ones where you stack the paper almost vertically and it's
>supposed to slide into the printer. Unfortunately these are very prone
>to jamming, grabbing 10 or more pages at a time. Generally I'd avoid
>any printers with similar feeds, a paper tray at the bottom is much
>preferable. Also it seems better at keeping dust, bugs and whatever
>else you have wafting around falling into the works.
>
>Especially for a used printer, you really want to see it print at
>least 10 pages before buying. Low quality print may be due to an old
>toner cart, so don't be too quick to dismiss on that ground, but paper
>jamming quickly becomes a hair-tearing frustration.

That problem is old hat and was Fixed..

April 14, 2004 3:50:34 AM

If you are buying a laser printer..Buy HP. I have been repairing laser
printer for 13 years. If I had to make a living on only repairing Hp laser
printers..I would starve. Its all the other brands I make my big bucks on.
Also the toner and drums are so much cheaper for HP than the other brands.
When you buy a laser printer consider recurring costs. Pete
"Larry Fieman" <_antispam_fieman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone have a favorite Laser Printer, preferably in the $100 range?
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Anonymous
April 14, 2004 6:42:31 AM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:50:34 GMT, "Pete" <ppremock1@stny.rr.com>
wrote:

>If you are buying a laser printer..Buy HP. I have been repairing laser
>printer for 13 years. If I had to make a living on only repairing Hp laser
>printers..I would starve. Its all the other brands I make my big bucks on.
>Also the toner and drums are so much cheaper for HP than the other brands.
>When you buy a laser printer consider recurring costs. Pete

HP are good. But, if you want to keep costs down a Kyocera is much
better (and just as reliable).

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com