Upgraded To PC3200 RAM. Now 3DMark score is LOWER??

Hi

My system is

a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
barton 2600+ cpu ( 166fsb )
radeon 9800 pro
etc etc

I want to put a xp 3200+ cpu in ( or maybe a 2500+ and o/c it to 3200+
). I had 2 sticks of Kingston 256mb PC2700 Ram Cas 2.5, so i traded in
my two sticks of kingston 256Mb PC3200 ram, cas 3. Running in dual
channel mode.

If i run the ram at 200mhz in the bios ( cpu at 166mhz ) then i get a
far worse benchamrk score than with the old pc2700 ram ( about 13000
compared to over 15000 before. )

If i go into the bios and set the ram to run at same speed as fsb (
166mhz ) then i get a more normal score, just over 15000 as before.

Is this normal??

I take it theres nothing stopping me just popping in a xp3200+ now?

PS ive managed to get the xp2600+ up to 189mhz fsb resulting in a
clock speed of 2174Mhz. Not far off a 3200+ i dont think. But id
rather not overclock it so i run it at normal speed ( 166mhz )

thanks

paul
2 answers Last reply
More about upgraded pc3200 3dmark score lower

    In article <afge70d5r27vt68dr21s4leaharui8ita9@4ax.com>, pberry
    <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My system is
    >
    > a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
    > barton 2600+ cpu ( 166fsb )
    > radeon 9800 pro
    > etc etc
    >
    > I want to put a xp 3200+ cpu in ( or maybe a 2500+ and o/c it to 3200+
    > ). I had 2 sticks of Kingston 256mb PC2700 Ram Cas 2.5, so i traded in
    > my two sticks of kingston 256Mb PC3200 ram, cas 3. Running in dual
    > channel mode.
    >
    > If i run the ram at 200mhz in the bios ( cpu at 166mhz ) then i get a
    > far worse benchamrk score than with the old pc2700 ram ( about 13000
    > compared to over 15000 before. )
    >
    > If i go into the bios and set the ram to run at same speed as fsb (
    > 166mhz ) then i get a more normal score, just over 15000 as before.
    >
    > Is this normal??
    >
    > I take it theres nothing stopping me just popping in a xp3200+ now?
    >
    > PS ive managed to get the xp2600+ up to 189mhz fsb resulting in a
    > clock speed of 2174Mhz. Not far off a 3200+ i dont think. But id
    > rather not overclock it so i run it at normal speed ( 166mhz )
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > paul

    The Nforce2 has a resynchronization penalty, when the CPU and Memory
    run with a different clock. In other words, 166MHz CPU and 200MHz
    Memory will be slower than 166/166. There are two effects at work
    - the memory clock increase works in your favor, the resync penalty
    works against you - this implies that maybe with enough clock speed
    on the memory, you could gain something. Note that there is a bug
    with the memory interface, when the clocks are run at different
    rates, so the standard advice is to leave them at the same frequency
    if you want error free operation.

    If you don't like this advice, run memtest86 and see if the memory
    is error free, after you make any adjustments to CPU vs memory clock.

    The supported CPUs are listed here:
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Yep...thats normal. All Nforce2 boards perform better is the FSB and memory
    clock frequencies are synchronised. For ultimate performance run both at
    200MHz (or more)......Why are you not wanting to overclock your XP2600+ but
    appear to be quite happy to overclock a XP2500+?????. If you have good
    cooling and raise the voltage a bit you should be able to hit 200FSB with
    the XP2600+....I take it the multiplier is locked, otherwise you should just
    reduce the multiplier to 11x.

    By the way the hot purchase right now is an XP2500+ Mobile....they are still
    unlocked and they overclock really well. I'm running one now at 2650MHz.

    "pberry" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My system is
    >
    > a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
    > barton 2600+ cpu ( 166fsb )
    > radeon 9800 pro
    > etc etc
    >
    > I want to put a xp 3200+ cpu in ( or maybe a 2500+ and o/c it to 3200+
    > ). I had 2 sticks of Kingston 256mb PC2700 Ram Cas 2.5, so i traded in
    > my two sticks of kingston 256Mb PC3200 ram, cas 3. Running in dual
    > channel mode.
    >
    > If i run the ram at 200mhz in the bios ( cpu at 166mhz ) then i get a
    > far worse benchamrk score than with the old pc2700 ram ( about 13000
    > compared to over 15000 before. )
    >
    > If i go into the bios and set the ram to run at same speed as fsb (
    > 166mhz ) then i get a more normal score, just over 15000 as before.
    >
    > Is this normal??
    >
    > I take it theres nothing stopping me just popping in a xp3200+ now?
    >
    > PS ive managed to get the xp2600+ up to 189mhz fsb resulting in a
    > clock speed of 2174Mhz. Not far off a 3200+ i dont think. But id
    > rather not overclock it so i run it at normal speed ( 166mhz )
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > paul

Asus RAM CPUs Motherboards