A7VX8X-X - lockups!

ok, here's the setup:

Asus A7VVX8X-X mainboard
AMD Athlon XP-2000 CPU
Asus Radeon 9600Se Video Card
SB live! 5.1 Audio card
512mb DDR400 ram

i set this up today, installed Windows XP Pro, and rebooted on its own a few
times. so i deleted the audio card, no better. took out the video card and
ram, re-seated both, no better. seemed to lock up more frequently when i ran
windows media player on music with the "Visualizations" at full screen.
changed the radeon 9600se for my radeon 7500, still no better. reformatted
hard drive and reinstalled win xp, and thats where i ran into real problems.
as the o/s was installling, the comp would reboot and the setup program
would start allover again. it would reboot at the "registering components"
everytime (countown 14 minute mark) i knew exactly when it was going to
happen. then i went into bios and restored all the default settings ( i was
snooping around in there to see what it was like, didn't think i changed
anything). then i did a repair of xp and it finsihed installing. the o/s is
very unstable and reboots, worse than ever. in device manager the Universal
Serial Bus Controller has the yellow triangle with the ! in the center.
evertime i play a song on windows media player its fine, until i get the
visualizations going full screen, then the lockup happens

i need help! this is beyond me! the computer is working worse no than this
morning! i'm afraid to format the drive again and try installing xp again
because i was 5 hours getting it on there this time!

suggestions appreciated (go slow...i'm a newbie)

tia,
jc

It's possible your cpu is overheating. You can look at the temperatures in
the bios. Hit Del when the boot screen shows and look for the Health Status
or something like that and see what the cpu temp is.
Post back here with the temp it is showing.

"Jay Cee" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message

> ok, here's the setup:
>
> Asus A7VVX8X-X mainboard
> AMD Athlon XP-2000 CPU
> Asus Radeon 9600Se Video Card
> SB live! 5.1 Audio card
> 512mb DDR400 ram
>
> i set this up today, installed Windows XP Pro, and rebooted on its own a
few
> times. so i deleted the audio card, no better. took out the video card and
> ram, re-seated both, no better. seemed to lock up more frequently when i
ran
> windows media player on music with the "Visualizations" at full screen.
> changed the radeon 9600se for my radeon 7500, still no better. reformatted
> hard drive and reinstalled win xp, and thats where i ran into real
problems.
> as the o/s was installling, the comp would reboot and the setup program
> would start allover again. it would reboot at the "registering components"
> everytime (countown 14 minute mark) i knew exactly when it was going to
> happen. then i went into bios and restored all the default settings ( i
was
> snooping around in there to see what it was like, didn't think i changed
> anything). then i did a repair of xp and it finsihed installing. the o/s
is
> very unstable and reboots, worse than ever. in device manager the
Universal
> Serial Bus Controller has the yellow triangle with the ! in the center.
> evertime i play a song on windows media player its fine, until i get the
> visualizations going full screen, then the lockup happens
>
> i need help! this is beyond me! the computer is working worse no than this
> morning! i'm afraid to format the drive again and try installing xp again
> because i was 5 hours getting it on there this time!
>
> suggestions appreciated (go slow...i'm a newbie)
>
> tia,
> jc

highest i have seen is 89f, no where near overheating.

"RonK" <nothome@home.com> wrote in message
> It's possible your cpu is overheating. You can look at the temperatures in
> the bios. Hit Del when the boot screen shows and look for the Health
Status
> or something like that and see what the cpu temp is.
> Post back here with the temp it is showing.
>

> "Jay Cee" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message
> >

> > ok, here's the setup:
> >
> > Asus A7VVX8X-X mainboard
> > AMD Athlon XP-2000 CPU
> > Asus Radeon 9600Se Video Card
> > SB live! 5.1 Audio card
> > 512mb DDR400 ram
> >
> > i set this up today, installed Windows XP Pro, and rebooted on its own a
> few
> > times. so i deleted the audio card, no better. took out the video card
and
> > ram, re-seated both, no better. seemed to lock up more frequently when i
> ran
> > windows media player on music with the "Visualizations" at full screen.
> > changed the radeon 9600se for my radeon 7500, still no better.
reformatted
> > hard drive and reinstalled win xp, and thats where i ran into real
> problems.
> > as the o/s was installling, the comp would reboot and the setup program
> > would start allover again. it would reboot at the "registering
components"
> > everytime (countown 14 minute mark) i knew exactly when it was going to
> > happen. then i went into bios and restored all the default settings ( i
> was
> > snooping around in there to see what it was like, didn't think i changed
> > anything). then i did a repair of xp and it finsihed installing. the o/s
> is
> > very unstable and reboots, worse than ever. in device manager the
> Universal
> > Serial Bus Controller has the yellow triangle with the ! in the center.
> > evertime i play a song on windows media player its fine, until i get the
> > visualizations going full screen, then the lockup happens
> >
> > i need help! this is beyond me! the computer is working worse no than
this
> > morning! i'm afraid to format the drive again and try installing xp
again
> > because i was 5 hours getting it on there this time!
> >
> > suggestions appreciated (go slow...i'm a newbie)
> >
> > tia,
> > jc

i took the ram out istalled it in another computer, runs stable could not
get the cd with memtest (.iso) to boot...god i am out of my league! but the
system runs stable, will try to boot from floppy, but i suspect a video card
problem. i have installed the latest radeon 9600se asus drivers, no luck
then the VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 v451v, no luck...any suggestions?

TIA.
JC

--
Jamie Cranford
PropertyGuys.com St. John's

Cell: (709) 746-2710
Fax: (709) 747-3089

Web: www.propertyguys.com
Email: jcranford@propertyguys.com
"Jay Cee" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message

> ok, here's the setup:
>
> Asus A7VVX8X-X mainboard
> AMD Athlon XP-2000 CPU
> Asus Radeon 9600Se Video Card
> SB live! 5.1 Audio card
> 512mb DDR400 ram
>
> i set this up today, installed Windows XP Pro, and rebooted on its own a
few
> times. so i deleted the audio card, no better. took out the video card and
> ram, re-seated both, no better. seemed to lock up more frequently when i
ran
> windows media player on music with the "Visualizations" at full screen.
> changed the radeon 9600se for my radeon 7500, still no better. reformatted
> hard drive and reinstalled win xp, and thats where i ran into real
problems.
> as the o/s was installling, the comp would reboot and the setup program
> would start allover again. it would reboot at the "registering components"
> everytime (countown 14 minute mark) i knew exactly when it was going to
> happen. then i went into bios and restored all the default settings ( i
was
> snooping around in there to see what it was like, didn't think i changed
> anything). then i did a repair of xp and it finsihed installing. the o/s
is
> very unstable and reboots, worse than ever. in device manager the
Universal
> Serial Bus Controller has the yellow triangle with the ! in the center.
> evertime i play a song on windows media player its fine, until i get the
> visualizations going full screen, then the lockup happens
>
> i need help! this is beyond me! the computer is working worse no than this
> morning! i'm afraid to format the drive again and try installing xp again
> because i was 5 hours getting it on there this time!
>
> suggestions appreciated (go slow...i'm a newbie)
>
> tia,
> jc

Tim

Could be memory...

run memtest86 extended tests. If it passes 5 full cycles without reporting
an error then memory is OK, otherwise that is your problem.

See: http://www.memtest86.com/

- Tim

> highest i have seen is 89f, no where near overheating.
>

> "RonK" <nothome@home.com> wrote in message
> > It's possible your cpu is overheating. You can look at the temperatures
in
> > the bios. Hit Del when the boot screen shows and look for the Health
> Status
> > or something like that and see what the cpu temp is.
> > Post back here with the temp it is showing.
> >

> > "Jay Cee" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > ok, here's the setup:
> > >
> > > Asus A7VVX8X-X mainboard
> > > AMD Athlon XP-2000 CPU
> > > Asus Radeon 9600Se Video Card
> > > SB live! 5.1 Audio card
> > > 512mb DDR400 ram
> > >
> > > i set this up today, installed Windows XP Pro, and rebooted on its own
> > few
> > > times. so i deleted the audio card, no better. took out the video card
> and
> > > ram, re-seated both, no better. seemed to lock up more frequently when
> > ran
> > > windows media player on music with the "Visualizations" at full
screen.
> > > changed the radeon 9600se for my radeon 7500, still no better.
> reformatted
> > > hard drive and reinstalled win xp, and thats where i ran into real
> > problems.
> > > as the o/s was installling, the comp would reboot and the setup
program
> > > would start allover again. it would reboot at the "registering
> components"
> > > everytime (countown 14 minute mark) i knew exactly when it was going
> > > happen. then i went into bios and restored all the default settings
( i
> > was
> > > snooping around in there to see what it was like, didn't think i
changed
> > > anything). then i did a repair of xp and it finsihed installing. the
o/s
> > is
> > > very unstable and reboots, worse than ever. in device manager the
> > Universal
> > > Serial Bus Controller has the yellow triangle with the ! in the
center.
> > > evertime i play a song on windows media player its fine, until i get
the
> > > visualizations going full screen, then the lockup happens
> > >
> > > i need help! this is beyond me! the computer is working worse no than
> this
> > > morning! i'm afraid to format the drive again and try installing xp
> again
> > > because i was 5 hours getting it on there this time!
> > >
> > > suggestions appreciated (go slow...i'm a newbie)
> > >
> > > tia,
> > > jc

thanks... i had a suspicion it could be the memory. i will run this program
and report back my findings.

thanks again!

j c

unable to run memtest86 (no floppy in this computer!)

i did get a message on a reboot saying the asus 9600se was the casue of the
problem. i'm gonna look for updated drivers,failing that i will put the ram
in another machine.

jc

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:c57srt$ert$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Could be memory...
>
> run memtest86 extended tests. If it passes 5 full cycles without reporting
> an error then memory is OK, otherwise that is your problem.
>
> See: http://www.memtest86.com/
>

> - Tim
>
> "Jay Cee" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message
> > highest i have seen is 89f, no where near overheating.
> >

> > "RonK" <nothome@home.com> wrote in message
> > > It's possible your cpu is overheating. You can look at the
temperatures
> in
> > > the bios. Hit Del when the boot screen shows and look for the Health
> > Status
> > > or something like that and see what the cpu temp is.
> > > Post back here with the temp it is showing.
> > >

> > > "Jay Cee" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message

> > > few
> > and
> > > ran
> screen.
> > reformatted
> > > problems.
> program
> > components"
> ( i
> > > was
> changed
> o/s
> > > is
> > > Universal
> center.
> the

> > this
> > again

can someone tell me how to run memtest? the readme instuctions only talk
about linux! i can't run memtest from floppy or cd-rom...newbie here!

tia jc

Ed

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:58:27 -0230, "Jay Cee" <nospam@please.com> wrote:

>unable to run memtest86 (no floppy in this computer!)
>
>i did get a message on a reboot saying the asus 9600se was the casue of the
>problem. i'm gonna look for updated drivers,failing that i will put the ram
>in another machine.
>
>jc

Download and burn the .ISO version to a CDRW or CDR.

http://www.memtest.org/ ( Memtest86 + )
http://www.memtest86.com/

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jay Cee wrote:

> can someone tell me how to run memtest? the readme instuctions only talk
> about linux! i can't run memtest from floppy or cd-rom...newbie here!
>
> tia jc

JC,
Hopefully the file you downloaded was memt31a.zip. Unzip it on your
Hard Drive and then run the file Install.bat. It will ask you for a
blank floppy and it will create a bootable disk with the necessary files
for you. The disk will appear to be blank in Windows/DOS but it is
not!! Then set the BIOS to boot off the floppy, restart and it should
run automatically. After it starts enter the configuration and change
Test Selection to All Tests. Let it run overnight.

Rob

ty rob!

jc

"Rob" <robc@insightbb.spambone.com> wrote in message
> Jay Cee wrote:
>
> > can someone tell me how to run memtest? the readme instuctions only talk
> > about linux! i can't run memtest from floppy or cd-rom...newbie here!
> >
> > tia jc
> >

> JC,
> Hopefully the file you downloaded was memt31a.zip. Unzip it on your
> Hard Drive and then run the file Install.bat. It will ask you for a
> blank floppy and it will create a bootable disk with the necessary files
> for you. The disk will appear to be blank in Windows/DOS but it is
> not!! Then set the BIOS to boot off the floppy, restart and it should
> run automatically. After it starts enter the configuration and change
> Test Selection to All Tests. Let it run overnight.
>
> Rob

If it really takes you 5 hours to install your operating system you have
some serious RAM problems.
If you have no floppy drive in your computer, I bet you also have el-cheapo
generic RAM too.

the problem was the video card.
i wipe out the hD and reinstalled windows xp with a pci video card, went
smoothly. then i installed the agp card and the correct drivers. stable for
over a month now!

jay cee